“Great Anniversary Get Away!”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Marietta, Ohio
“Great Anniversary Get Away!”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

From the Valet parking to our late breakfast at Brabo Tasting Room, everything was first class! It helped to be a Kimpton member and knowing the secret word from their FB page.
Curly and Justin were so helpful and pleasant !!
The best surprise happened when we arrived at The Chart House for dinner, Justin had arranged for our menus be personalized and our free signature dessert!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Happy anniversary lisab1054!

I’m thrilled that Curly, Justin and the rest of our team were able to make your celebration extra special. Thank you for choosing the Lorien Hotel & Spa and please come back to see us again soon.

Tobias

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel and it was really wonderful - the staff is very sweet and accommodating! They really make you feel genuinely welcomed. It was great coming back from a day of sightseeing to a glass of wine, and it was nice having coffee available in the morning as well. Good location, 5 min walk from Metro, and close to sips and restaurants. We had a great corner room that was very clean on the 5th floor. Definitely sign up to be a reward member, you get free wifi. Only bummer was no jacuzzi or pool. We got a pretty decent rate because we booked through the hotels website and prepaid far in advance. Compared to other rates with similar amenities - this was a really great deal - We would definitely return :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Casey G,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our hotel was a great value. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The Lorien is another one of our favorite Kimpton Hotels. The company and management clearly put an emphasis on hiring and training people who know the value of exceptional service. In the end, a comfortable pillow and mattress is nice too! I'm sure the Hampton In looks like every other Hampton Inn, but doesn't that get boring?

We were greeted again by Brandon Brown who remembered us from a previous visit. He was very courteous and accommodating, like everyone we encountered at the hotel so far. It truly is a team of professionals working together to provide the service that keeps us coming back! I realized I left my Metro Smartcard at home and he gave me one of his that he claimed was "extra". There is no thing as extra, as in extra money. So I appreciated the thoughtfulness to not give a second thought to helping a stranger. He'll get the card back for sure with a few extra dollars on it too! The location is an easy walk to the Metro making it pretty easy to get into DC, and the Nationals ball park.

The food and drink options are great here with three restaurants offering wonderful menus and two bars for drinks. Its hard to make ourselves leave for anything but we are in Olde Towne and everything is a close walk especially the Metro.

Room Tip: If you can, get a veranda suite if you are there with a group, that is a great room!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JMellen23188
Hello JMellen23188,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback. I’m lucky to lead an awesome team and I’m very proud of Brandon for being such a great ambassador of the Lorien Hotel & Spa and Kimpton Hotels. His genuine care truly reflects what we are all about. We strive to make a personal connection with our guests whenever possible and it is awesome to read that Brandon went out of his way to do just that.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon,

Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The hotel needs some updates but it was a good stay. Lots of stains on our shower. The hotel location is the primary reason I would stay here again. I feel other Kimpton hotels have been more impressive for the price.

Room Tip: The rooms at some ends of the building have a nice large balcony.
Green Features: Great, plastic cups in the front were made from plants.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Hello Okinawa2357,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your feedback. We don’t like to average and I’m sorry that your stay was not as perfect as it should have been.
I hope to get the opportunity to wow you upon your return.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I like Kimpton hotels - they tend to be very nice, well appointed, and in great locations. I also like that I can depend on a brand to be consistent as it allows me to book with confidence. I was disappointed by this hotel.

First the good - The price for the location was very reasonable. I would have paid more for a better experience.

The problems:

1) There was confusion on arrival. I had asked for a room with a tub. They do have rooms with a tub. I asked for a Lorien Terrace suite which the web site says comes with either a shower or a tub. (I just confirmed this again). On arrival, I was given a suite with a patio but no tub. The desk staff informed me that these suites never have a tub and that they could move me to a lesser room that did have a tub. Ok, I agreed. I moved. The rooms when I booked them had a $100 difference in cost if I remember correctly. I was not given the hundred dollars times two days back. I was told the price changed. That's nice but if the web site or booking operation was correct I'd have booked the lower priced room at the time the price was lower. Seems unfair. This is a minor issue but indicative of a bigger problem - see below.

2) The decor of the lobby is nice but the hallways are stark and remind one of a converted apartment building.

3) The rooms - small and stark furniture along with poor ergonomic design. I can give several examples. First, the TV (room 200) was facing 90 degrees from the way the sofa faced. The room was long and narrow so there was no other way to really watch TV but to sit on the sofa and turn ones neck 90 degrees- that gets uncomfortable fast. Second, the bathroom doesn't have a door - just a teri cloth drape that you can pull across the doorway. If the room was large maybe that would work but the toilet is no more than 4 feet from head of the bed. No one wants to hear the sounds or smell the smells of another guest. I've only seen that type arrangement in tents on safari in east Africa. Third, the tub drains onto the open bathroom floor that then drains into a drain in the middle of the floor. This would be ok if not for the 2 inch step up needed to keep the water in the area. That step up guarantees you to stub your toe or foot several painful times.

Room service was good with cheerful folks if a somewhat limited menu. The mini bar was full of odd repackaged snacks that were meant to just run up the bill. I don't mind paying $5 - 10 bucks but it would be nice to have some recognizable items - on the bar.

The restaurant - Brabo was ok. The food was tasty - Mussels and Fish entree. The fish portion was too small for the price. The service was very polite but over an hour for the entrees to arrive is a bit out of control in a room that was half full.

All in all, I am generally pleased with Kimpton but this is not up to their standards and they really need to supervise to a standard better.

Room Tip: Avoid room 200.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Scott R,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your faith in Kimpton Hotels.
I’m disappointed that your recent experience did not meet the high standards we are known for. My apologies for the confusion you experienced upon arrival and I’m sorry that you were not fully satisfied with your room. It would mean a lot to me to get the opportunity to regain your trust. Please contact me directly at: tobias.arff@lorienhotelansspa.com if you are planning to return. I will personally ensure that your next stay with us will be flawless and extra special.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed here twice, once for business and the second for leisure travel. They offer STELLAR service within the hotel as well as the restaurants. We absolutely enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to return again, and again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear SCGYRL87,

Thank you for your loyalty and for your kind words. The entire Lorien team is looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Forest Hills, New York
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for a week while traveling to DC. The rooms are aesthetically pleasing but these create a few problems. 1, the shower door will not keep water in the shower and it floods the bathroom. 2, there is no privacy created by the glass door to the bathroom. 3, the sheets are soft but fail to fit the mattress creating discomfort at odd hours of the morning. The location was ideal for our needs and price okay but given these issues I'll probably keep shopping next time we come to Arlington.

Stayed August 2014
Tobias A, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hello Taylor C,

We appreciate you choosing the Lorien Hotel & Spa for your recent stay and we value your important feedback. We really don’t like to be average and I hope to get the chance to wow you on your next trip. Please let me know if you are planning to come back. I can be reached at: tobias.arff@lorienhotelandspa.com