“Fabulous”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 12 July 2010

This was my first time at a Kimpton Hotel. From the moment my husband and I arrived we were treated well. We were always greeted with smiles and everyone was friendly.

I was surprised at how luxurious his hotel was. The interior was sophisticated and modern. The rooms were decorated to create a soothing feel. There was even a computer station in the room! You could get free wi-fi if you signed up for a Kimpton account (which is free as well). They have an eco-friendly perspective and offers recycle bins in each room too. If you like Aveda products, they have those here. The fitness center was nice as well (we had all intentions to workout, but didn't). We also had every intention to participate in their nightly wine reception; however, DC was so entertaining we didn't make it back in time. The only downfall was a bit of noise from the room next door (they had active kiddos).

This hotel is only a few blocks away from the Kings Street Station. If you have a car, the valet is approximately $30 per night. Great location! Loved this hotel and I will be back!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Lorien Hotel & Spa is the best hotel in Old Town. I love Kimpton Hotels and I have stayed at all three in Alexandria, VA and all of them are great but the Lorien is my favorite. The hotel has great restaurants, excellent service and is in walking distance to the metro and Amtrak train stations. I cannot say enough about the staff, everyone is so kind and exceeds expectations. The staff remembers my name and welcomes me back and even though I am there for business it always feels like a vacation. The rooms are very cozy and quiet, each room comes with a free dream menu where you can order scents and special pillows during your stay, it is plush! Special thanks to Lee, Kelly, Heather and all the great staff that works there, you are all why people return!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I spent one night with my partner at Lorien and had an amazing experience at this hotel.

PROS:

Staff- Immediately after arriving by Metro (5 min away from the King St Metro stop), two friendly bellhops who I assume are also Valet parkers carted our luggage and led us to the front desk to check in and to our room. The front desk was also very friendly and were able to answer any questions I have in a quick manner.

Bed- King Sized bed and pillows are the most comfortable I have ever experienced! It was so easy to fall asleep on this bed. Lorien gives the option of receiving even more pillows on request but we felt that the pillows that were already in the room were more than enough. Cool white grid headboard.

Bathroom- Very sleek and modern. No tub though. Complimentary hairdryer in bathroom and curling iron per request. Aveeda bath products.

Cleanliness- Bedroom, bedsheets and bathroom seemed to be very clean.

Flat screen TV- basic cable channels with HBO. It was neat to see my name on the TV's channel menu (little stuff like that goes a long way). TV was perfectly mounted on the wall where you can comfortably watch it while laying in bed.

Complimentary Internet Access- Room included a computer for internet use and wireless internet access if you bring your own laptop.

Decor- Everything was very modern and sleek. The light sky blue color of the walls made the room feel very relaxing.

Location- Only about a 5 min walk from the King St metro. 15-20 min walk to the Potomac waterfront. Located on King St with tons of restaurants and neat local stores.

CONS:

Room size- We stayed in the King Room, which are the smallest sized rooms that Lorien has. Although a bit on the small size (just big enough to fit a King size bed, 1 nightstand, and a desk with a TV hanging on the wall), I really felt a better way to describe the room was cozy.

Noise- Overall pretty quiet room. Really just nitpicking-Not a big deal, AC system can be loud for some people but we didn't mind much at all. I didn't hear anyone next door but could hear people in the hallway.

Bathroom door- I read a lot of reviews concerning this door and I see how this can be a problem. An un-lockable sliding glass door separates the bathroom from the bedroom. The glass door itself isn't see-through. However, there is about a 2 inch airspace between the door and the wall where you can easily peek at someone taking a shower if you really tried. While taking a shower with the door closed, I was able to see my partner at the desk surfing the net through the airspace. Not a big deal for us since we were a couple but could be a problem for couples who are not too comfortable with each other yet.

Natural light- Maybe because we stayed in the smallest room but there was only 1 window in the room and we weren't able to get a lot of sunlight into our room.

We had a really good time at this hotel and look to come back soon! We didn't try the spa or the Brabo Restaurant that is next door but have also heard great things about them.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Lorien-FOM, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2010
Greetings Sleek, Cozy and Relaxing!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Lorien Hotel and Spa. I am very pleased to hear that you found your stay with us relaxing and comfortable! We take great pride in all of the amenities you mentioned and it is very comforting to know that they are serving there intended purpose. Great feedback all the way around especially on the physical parts of the guest room you enjoyed during your time with us. I am definitely going to share these points with my team and act accordingly to ensure the highest levels of comfort are achieved for all of our guests.

Warm regards,

Lee Seiler
Front Office Manager
Lorien Hotel and Spa
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 20 June 2010

Let me start by saying I stayed at the Lorien Hotel for my wedding night in Nov. 2009. We had a great time enjoying the sunset from our beautiful Terrace Suite. They had nice comfy furniture to enjoy it from. However, this stay was quite different.
My wife and I booked a Terrace Suite. Check in is at 3pm and we showed up at 3:30pm. However when we got there, we were told our room is not ready. Because Valet already took our car, we waited around for 30-45min before our room was ready. We staying in room 615. The room was beautiful just like the last time we stayed here. There was several doors that are 'suppose' to open to the Terrace. However all the doors are broke and jammed shut. After pushing and pulling for 10min, we got one of the doors to open. After walking out to the Terrace, we discover that there is absolutely no furniture to even sit on out there. Why have a huge terrace space if you can't enjoy it? My wife called Guest Services to request some furniture for the terrace just like our last stay and they responded, 'We'll be right up'. After waiting an hour, we called again about the furniture. Again we were told they would be right up. 10min later someone shows up with 2 chairs that look like they grabbed them from the conference room. This is not what I would expect for a $370 a night Terrace Suite. It was pathetic and I posted a picture of these horrible chairs. My wife and I were so upset, we just carried some of the living room furniture out to the Terrace and enjoyed the rest of the night without there help. After hearing my complaints, the front desk called me around 10pm saying that the reason I don't have terrace furniture is because the diplomatic and presidential suite were taken and they have all the outdoor furniture. That is one sorry excuse, sounds like you just need to buy more furniture. The lady did mention that she had 2 different types of chairs at the front desk that I could look at. Are you kidding me? Its 10pm at night, I was done with there help.

Here is a summary of my stay at the Lorien Hotel in a Terrace Suite
Pros:
- Nice comfy beds and sheets
- Great double head walk-in shower.
- Guest Services tried to help me when I complained...kind of
- Free wireless Internet....but its unsecure.
- Nice Tv's and computer in the room.

Cons:
- No furniture on the outdoor Terrace Suite rooms, and don't worry about asking for any.
- The doors to the Terrace are all broke and jammed shut.
- Wireless internet is unsecure - Its too easy these days to steal all your information. I don't recommend doing any business or banking from the hotel internet.
- Expensive
- $25 Valet Parking
- Book your spa appointments several days ahead of time. My wife called to get a manicure or pedicure and they said you have to book days ahead to get in. If you just walk down King Street, you can find several places that are cheaper and more accommodating for a manicure or pedicure.

All and all this is a really nice hotel. The small things are what makes a good hotel a great hotel and the Lorien Hotel needs a little bit of work. I don't think I'll be coming back anytime soon.

1 Thank eaglecbr
LorienHotelManager, General Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 June 2010
Dear eaglecbr,

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your recent visit. I am personally looking into the issues you brought to our attention. I can also confirm that you were correct and we do need to purchase more furniture and will quickly. I hope you will consider us again next year on your anniversary and we will assure you a great visit.
Tokyo
Reviewed 19 June 2010

I had gone to a bunch of other "4-star"s near D.C. before Lorien and was totally disappointed (can't name names, but you know who you are!). But I knew wonderful places existed & I finally found one here. I LOVED! this place. 10 pillow choices? That's crazy! I didn't order any of the many free amenities bc there were so many already in the room (thank you for actually having robes). The staff were all very professional and also down to earth and super friendly. Brabo restaurant was awesome and so was the bread pudding at the Tasting Room! Alexandria was far from my conference downtown, but Lorien was worth the trip and the hotel is only 2 blocks from the train. My only negative was no tea/coffee in the room or even lobby except from 6-9 a.m. But the lovely free wine selection from 5-6 p.m. made up for it (if you happen to be there during that time). Anyways, great service all around!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Virginia Beach
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Spent 2 nights at the Lorien this weekend. I found a nice deal at Jetsetter.com for a deluxe king room. It was clean, comfortable and quiet. The room was not spacious, but was fine for the wife and I. It's urban chic and modern. The bathroom door is unique, so if you are uber modest you may want to opt for the Hampton Inn. But we enjoyed the weekend and the king st. vibe alot.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 June 2010

After several visits to Alexandria during stays in the Washington DC area, we finally decided it was time to stay in this charming historic city. We chose this hotel based on the reviews on this site, its location, and the look of the hotel based on the hotel website photos and information. Overall, we were pleased with our choice.

We booked a Lorien Suite because we usually enjoy the extra space. This turned out not to be a wise choice. The overall suite space was large, but a big portion of it was a vast empty square area that had a nice desk against a wall, but otherwise was void of any useful space. A couch, chair, and TV where crowded into a corner off to the side. The separate bedroom was small given the overall space the suite provided. There was also a balcony, but it looked directly into another room that was very close by. The bathroom was huge with a clawfoot tub, open shower area, and big vanity. The overall look was stark but sexy. The soft blue and white color scheme of the suite was very nice and comforting, especially in the bedroom area. The in room computer for free internet access was easy to use and an outstanding room amenity.

We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant Brabo. The look of the room was cool and contemporary and the food and service were very good. We also enjoyed the complementary wine reception which is held in a small library-like room off the lobby that opens to a private courtyard with a fire pit and a wall of framed mirrors. There is a small attractive windowless workout room in the basement that had mostly cardio machines, and limited workout equipment. We did not use the spa across the hall.

The hotel is very nice and does provide a boutique feel that we enjoy. The hotel is located close to the metro station to downtown DC. However, it is on the less interesting end of the main shopping street, so how good the location is depends on what your needs are. There is a free trolley service from one end of King Street to the other, but we did not use it, choosing to walk.

Overall, the hotel is a great choice while in Alexandria. Next time we will just save some money and pass on the bigger suite.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple