“Different but nice”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 7 August 2010

Stayed a few nights here after having a not so nice stay at the sister hotel, Hotel Monaco. This place is much better. the rooms are very different from most hotels I stay at. very clean and bright and airy. Bedroom was large with a very good tv and a computer that did not really work, but I had my own so it was not a problem. The bathroom was also large, with a walk in shower (no bath). I did not try the dinning options so I can not comment on that.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 6 August 2010

The hotel is in a great location on King Street, near the metro, and has clean, modern lines/look. Basic amenities, however, are lacking, such as closets that can hold two peoples' clothing, AC that works, and staff that fulfills their word. Even simple things, like getting the car when we called down, were not done. The AC that didn't cool the room was the final straw. After repeated begging at the front desk, it did cool the room down One night out of five. Hotel would probably be ok for single travelers.without a week's worth of suits, wanting to be near the metro and on trendy King street. Good attached tasting restaurant and spa.
Atached tasting restaurant and spa.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2010

The Lorien was typical Kimpton: nice style and up to date furnishings in the room. The Lemonade at check-in was a nice touch after the drive into Alexandria. The only drawback was that the BRABO tasting room was unexpectedly closed. There was no indication or announcement in the hotel, it was only after we walked over at 6pm that we saw the sign taped up on the entry door. We had to scramble around with our infant in tow to find a replacement location for dinner....

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Frankly, I didn't want to write a review because I did not want everyone in the world to know about this well kept secret hotel. We decided to stay in Old Town for the 4th of July and see the fireworks from the Pentgon area. This hotel was a last minute pick and seemed to fit what we needed in terms of location. It is very close to all of the restaurants and the waterfront of Old Town is quick walk. The hotel is absolutely, stylish, classy and comfortable. WIth its clean modern furnishings and spa bathrooms, we felt that this hotel is perfect for a romantic getaway. The courtyard is beautiful. They not only supply the free wifi but the computer as well. We enjoyed the Aveda toiletries and have visited the Aveda store to replenish of the items. The bathrobes were plush and a nice touch. The minibar was so well stocked, we couldn't dream up any items for it. There were warm socks in our minibar. I've never seen that. If you need anything at all, you simply have to press the dream button on your phone and it is yours. We were tempted to try the aromatherapy and the warm milk and cookies. Free wine tasting was available too. You can't get that at the Hampton Inn. We needed ice and pressed the dream button and I swear there was a man at our door with ice within 60 seconds. The gym and spa looked great and we were sorry that we didn't have a chance to use them. We lucked out and had free street parking. I have a feeling that the pricing will go up on this one. I advise you to book it fast. Thank you Lorien for a very dreamy, romantic weekend. We will be back.

Reviewed 21 July 2010

I am always a little reluctant to stay somewhere new, but I must admit, my wife and I were very pleasantly surprised with our stay at the Lorien! The hotel is clean, contemporary and "chic", as I have seen described, but more than anything, I think the greatest attribute is the hotel staff. They were superbly friendly.... from check-in, to conversation with the bartender at the hotel restaurant, to the valet going out of his way to help us after misplacing our valet stub. The only thing I did not like was not being informed about the $25 overnight parking fee (our friends that we stayed with were not charged). However, overall, I would highly recommend this hotel, and look forward to going there again soon!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Lorien-FOM, Manager at Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2010

Greetings bpdcpa!

My thanks to you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Lorien Hotel and Spa! I am elated to hear that we were able to surprise you with a pleasant and fulfilling stay with us. I so appreciate what you had to say about our team here at the Lorien Hotel and Spa. It is a huge focus for all of us to make sure every guest feels comfortable, welcome and that they have truly entered most warm and friendly environment. This you cannot fake and our team will ecstatic to hear that an impact was made. Great comments for us to focus on and we are most certainly looking forward to your return!

Best,

Lee Seiler

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 19 July 2010

Switched to the Lorien after checking out of an awful Hawthorn Suites in Alexandria. After spending one terrible night in that cave, I decided to switch to the Lorien late into the night. From the minute I stepped into the Lorien, I knew it was going to be a great stay. The staff at the desk was cheerful and helpful and called me by name, even though I had only talked to them once on the phone. The lobby area was sparkling clean and smelled fresh and new. Once I entered my room, I knew I had made the right decision. The room was emaculate, spotless, and smelled heavenly! The bathroom was modern and spacious and included Aveda products. My only complaint of the room is that the shower pressue was rather weak and there was no bathtub, although I'm assuming that some of the rooms probably have a bathtub if you wanted one. The bed was comfortable beyond words. The hotel has a "pillow menu" that you could get lost in! Although the room was a bit on the small side, it would be plenty comfortable for one or two people. I slept better than I had in a long time thanks to the quiet room and amazing bed. My room overlooked the courtyard which I'm sure helped keeped the room quiet. I splurged and ordered room service for dinner and breakfast, and although quite pricey, the food was delivered quickly and was very good. My only complaint was that one day I needed to go to a different hotel so I asked the front desk staff to call a cab for me. They asked if I would rather take the hotel's "car service", and I accepted thinking that this might a free service that the hotel provided. Silly me. The driver spoke very little english and charged me a whopping $25 for a trip that the night before cost $10 by taxi. Other than that, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. The Kimpton chain is exceptional and I hope to stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us at the Lorien Hotel and Spa! I am very pleased to hear that we could make your vacation a successful and relaxing one. We pride ourselves on ensuring only the finest of services, amenities and surroundings are present for all of our valued guests. The Lorien Hotel and Spa is truly focused on ensuring all of our guests need are met and anticipated as much as possible. Our Dream Menu and of course our Pillow Menu are just a few of the details that we focus on to ensure the highest levels of comfort are exceeded and your stay with us is a memorable one. Thank you again for the nice words and I most certainly look forward to your return!

Warm regards,

Lee Seiler

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 12 July 2010

This was my first time at a Kimpton Hotel. From the moment my husband and I arrived we were treated well. We were always greeted with smiles and everyone was friendly.

I was surprised at how luxurious his hotel was. The interior was sophisticated and modern. The rooms were decorated to create a soothing feel. There was even a computer station in the room! You could get free wi-fi if you signed up for a Kimpton account (which is free as well). They have an eco-friendly perspective and offers recycle bins in each room too. If you like Aveda products, they have those here. The fitness center was nice as well (we had all intentions to workout, but didn't). We also had every intention to participate in their nightly wine reception; however, DC was so entertaining we didn't make it back in time. The only downfall was a bit of noise from the room next door (they had active kiddos).

This hotel is only a few blocks away from the Kings Street Station. If you have a car, the valet is approximately $30 per night. Great location! Loved this hotel and I will be back!