“my home away from home”

Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I travel to the DC area often for business. This is the first hotel that really made me feel like I was part of the family. Sure it is missing some of the amenities that frequent business travelers enjoy, kitchenettes and laundry facilities, but I find the service more than makes up for this. The staff always greets me by name when I arrive. When I came down with a cold they made me tea and brought it to my room. What other hotel would do that? I have enjoyed seeing the evolution of this hotel since it first opened and some of the early hiccups have been rectified. The valet service has certainly improved. The restaurant is fantastic and their whole menu is on room service. The spa is great and the gym is always clean and well kept. (my own personal pet peeve is a gross gym.) The rooms are a good size though if you want a really nice room reserve the spa suite with bathtub. It's fantastic. Internet and newspapers are free if you are an InTouch member...membership is free. The staff is always willing to print boarding passes or documents if necessary. The hotel is pet friendly, with no extra costs or any size restrictions. I highly recommend staying here...it has become my office's go to hotel for trips to the DC area.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Lorien Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 11 August 2010

Have stayed in multiple Kimpton properties and was supposed to stay at the Morrison House. Due to booking issues we were switched to the Lorien and it did not disappoint. Great location with 3 minute walk to Metro. Had a Lorien Suite which was large and had the Kimpton boutique style. Loved the pillow menu. Staff was professional and attempted to meet any request. Could not locate a New York Times on a Sunday but outside of that was excellent. May not return to the Morrison and it is one of our favorites.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I've stayed in a few DC area hotels and this was my first Kimpton. Wow! My wife and I stayed for a few nights in August 2009 to get away and to be tourists. I should have written this back then, but I'm doing it now because we continue to count this as one of the most pleasant places we've stayed. Ever. The entire place just radiated a sense of relaxation and peace - if that makes any sense. It is a few blocks from the King St. Metro stop which makes it very accessible to everything around DC. I'm not a person who travels with pets, but my wife and I love seeing the dogs pass through the lobby or the front courtyard area. The room we got was large and "airy" - decorated and furnished in a spare manner with muted colors. Very attractive in a clean minimalist sense. (...That's a compliment.) Everything about the staff, room, hallways, and lobby was first class. The staff are all friendly, knowledgeable, and ready to help (not just the front desk, either). For example, I asked where I could go get a bottle of a certain soda I like and the person I stopped in the hall practically wanted to walk me down the street to show me the shop where I could get it!!!
We never ate at their main BRABO restaurant, so I have no review. HOWEVER, we ate a number of times at their BRABO Tasting Room. We couldn't help it - the food and wine was THAT good, and so were the prices. (For example, I'm no fan of mussels, but that's probably because I've never had "Classic White Wine, Garlic,Shallots & Parsley Mussels" like these! My wife and I couldn't stop laughing at how amazingly rich and decadently good they were!) (Oh well. So much for being on that diet....) Lots of other diverse eateries within walking distance, too.
Curiously, there are no ice machines. What's up with that? You need to call the desk and they will deliver your "free" ice - which means tipping the person - which means it wasn't really free....

A few bits of advice:
1.) Enroll in the Kimpton InTouch program. It will get you free wi-fi at any Kimton :-) and emails of really good special deals. No airline miles, though...Come on, Kimpton! :-(
2.) If you drive in, leave your car here and take the Metro everywhere. DC is not parking-friendly. Get a day pass or just get a Smart Trip card and load it up with some money so you don't have to buy new tickets for every trip. These work on more than just the Metro rail lines, too. This will be much more convenient than hunting for parking spots or paying for another parking garage while you are still paying for the one back at your hotel.
3.) Don't trust the star ranking system at the main Kimpton website. In the DC area, I've stayed at the Arlington Palomar, this Lorien in Old Town Alexandria, and the Madera near Dupont Circle so far. Their website ranks them all as 4 star hotels. Don't believe it! This Lorien is 5 stars, the Arlington Palomar is a legitimate 4 star, and the Madera is a 3 star.
4.)Visiting Alexandria? Be sure to ask about the free shuttle that cruises up and down King Street. While in Alexandria, wander a block or two away from commercial King Street down closer to the water and enjoy the neighborhoods of old historic homes.

Check my reviews, we'll stay at other Kimptons eventually. Stay tuned.....

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KD926
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I've stayed at the Lorien Hotel three times now and they never fail to deliver a great experience. The first time I stayed, it was for a girls night out/staycation type of thing, the second time was a week-long business trip and then I took a mini vacation this past weekend with my boyfriend. My three stays were for very different purposes, but each and every stay was simply wonderful.

This past weekend, when my boyfriend and I checked in, we were given an upgraded suite with a beautiful claw-foot tub and huge bathroom. We were also treated to champagne and chocolate covered strawberries for our being fans of the brand on Facebook. (Hint - Kimpton properties have a "special word" each month that you only know if you follow them on Facebook or Twitter. Saying the word at check-in normally gets you an upgrade or other freebies.) All in all, it was a wonderful weekend with the superior service I have come to expect at Kimpton hotels.

Also... One of the ways to earn "status" with Kimpton's InTouch loyalty program is to stay at different properties, but I just love the Lorien so much, I keep staying there! Of the 8 Kimpton properties I've stayed at, it is by far my favorite! I will be back many more times!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YooHoo11
Reviewed 7 August 2010

Stayed a few nights here after having a not so nice stay at the sister hotel, Hotel Monaco. This place is much better. the rooms are very different from most hotels I stay at. very clean and bright and airy. Bedroom was large with a very good tv and a computer that did not really work, but I had my own so it was not a problem. The bathroom was also large, with a walk in shower (no bath). I did not try the dinning options so I can not comment on that.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2010

The hotel is in a great location on King Street, near the metro, and has clean, modern lines/look. Basic amenities, however, are lacking, such as closets that can hold two peoples' clothing, AC that works, and staff that fulfills their word. Even simple things, like getting the car when we called down, were not done. The AC that didn't cool the room was the final straw. After repeated begging at the front desk, it did cool the room down One night out of five. Hotel would probably be ok for single travelers.without a week's worth of suits, wanting to be near the metro and on trendy King street. Good attached tasting restaurant and spa.
Atached tasting restaurant and spa.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2010

The Lorien was typical Kimpton: nice style and up to date furnishings in the room. The Lemonade at check-in was a nice touch after the drive into Alexandria. The only drawback was that the BRABO tasting room was unexpectedly closed. There was no indication or announcement in the hotel, it was only after we walked over at 6pm that we saw the sign taped up on the entry door. We had to scramble around with our infant in tow to find a replacement location for dinner....

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family