“I suppose it is fine for conventions, reunions, and large groups...”

Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Williamsburg, Virginia
“I suppose it is fine for conventions, reunions, and large groups...”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I didn't much enjoy my stay. The hotel was fully booked with conventions, symposiums, LARGE teen groups, and reunions the entire time I was there. It was hectic, the pool didn't open until 6pm (just in time for the teenagers to return to the hotel to monopolize it), and the elevators were bogged down (which was a problem when I was tired of climbing 25 flights of stairs). The hotel is also listed as pet-friendly, and it is, but some of the guests are (understandably) NOT pet-friendly... It became increasingly difficult to avoid uncomfortable exchanges since the elevators were in such high demand at all times, and it really wasn't possible for me to take my dogs down/up 25 flights of stairs every time we left the room. I'll chalk that up to the inconvenience of traveling with pets, but the overall experience at the Hilton Mark Center left something to be desired. Chaos.

Room Tip: Higher floors mean a LOOOONG trek up the stairs or an even LOOOONGER wait for the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ashley S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
New England
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We pulled up to the hotel and the valet was able to help us right away. We could tell the hotel was extremely busy so we opted to bring in our own luggage for convenience. We were quickly checked in and given a corner room with a king bed on the 28th floor.

Our room was very spacious, modern, and clean. The room offers you lots of storage, a bar area, mini fridge, king bed, desk and chair, lounge chairs, flat screen tv, and a good size bathroom. We also enjoyed a lovely view of Washington D.C. from our room. Our pre-check requests were in our room when we arrived. It's always nice to have extra pillows and towels! The only downfall to this room is that the bed was rather hard and a little uncomfortable to us.

During our stay we did order from Room Service. At first I was a little apprehensive about ordering and having the hotel understand about my dairy allergy. The staff were terrific and checked with the chefs about everything. We enjoyed fried calamari, a burger, and a turkey club sandwich. Later in our stay we received wine and a fruit plate for our anniversary from friends of ours. Again the staff were wonderful delivering it to us and following up with us to make sure we liked everything.

Our room also came with breakfast but we didn't want to leave our dog in the room on his own. Luckily the staff at the restaurant provided us with take away boxes. It was so nice to be able to pick items from the buffet and dine in our room.

From reception to housekeeping to valets the staff were friendly and helpful. We ran into one issue with the valet during our stay. When the hotel is busy everyone is on top of everything but when the hotel is empty I guess that means it's break time. We called down to have our car brought around. We took our time and 10-15 minutes we were in the lobby. Our car was no where to be found and there wasn't anyone at the valet stand. We went outside to wait and near us were two employees chit chatting. I went inside and spoke with the reception staff. She called the valet for me and apparently it was the two chit chatting employees who ignored us standing outside talking about our car . Annoying but just a small hiccup in a very enjoyable stay.

Considering the very nice staff, hotel amenities, and the fact that you are only 10-15 minutes away from all the sights I would definitely recommend a stay at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WanderlustHrts
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Please don't get me wrong, I did enjoy my stay here, as I have three time before. The big problem with this hotel is that there is really nothing around it other than interstate roadways, so walking is pretty much out. The valey parking is $28/night, or you can park in the parking garage for $24/night, the restuarant was good, but the drinks are way too expensive, $7/beer or $14/mixed. The room was nice, cool view, clean, but the internet is very questionable. Really I think it's the Hilton brand name that I've really lost respect for, they up charge for everything, internet included $15/night, and to add insult to injury the rooms are not much nicer than a Holiday Inn, standard Builder's grade fixtures with a little design flair. All I can say is, there are so much better hotels out there, maybe it's time we all just start avoiding these guys. Hilton, catch a clue, I'd pay a little more if you just include everything, this piece meal thing makes me feel you are constantly in my pocket. Honestly, you can't include internet, even Motel 6 does that.

I have to say, this last stay definately sealed the deal on me ever going back to any Hilton! The rewards are useless, the hotels are expensive, and the amenities are average.

Good bye Hilton!!!

Dan

Room Tip: Sign up for the Hilton HHonors program before you book your room, they'll upgrade you on your fi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Daniel R
Solomons, Maryland
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We just returned from four nights here. The facilities are not at all up to the Hilton standards. Upon entering the room, I was stunned at the glaring wear and tear of the furniture. A little cover-up with a furniture crayon would have gone a long way. I understand that one can not expect perfect furniture but it certainly could look better than it did. The bathroom in the lower level conference area had a roll of paper towels sitting on the counter. My experience with Hilton properties is that they have baskets with folded paper towels. This was not the standard here. I took pictures on my phone and spoke with the general manager, who took notes. Perhaps the next person in room 710 will not see the scratches like we did.
I want to point out that the employees in the conference center/catering were excellent.
If you want a run of the mill hotel at a premium price, this would be the place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank deenjil
Ralph P, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
We’re sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.

Sincerely
Ralph Priesing
Washington, DC, United States
Reviewed 17 June 2014

the rooms smelt awful like smoke the whirlpools barely worked.. no pressure nor heat. they switched our room to a cheaper room and still charged me the regular price i paid for the better room... the sheets were dirty. the toilet had stains on it. the "LAKESIDE VIEW" was a cess pool!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Earl S
Ralph P, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Earl S.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and observations.. We are working very hard to continually improve our property and to provide all of our guests with the products and services that will exceed their expectations. Your comments indicate that you had a number of areas in which we failed to meet your expectations for which I sincerely apologize. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department heads that are certain to take the corrective steps needed to improve their areas.
Again, thank you for sharing your observations and please know that we value your business and we look forward to being of service to you in the very near future.

Sincerely
Ralph Priesing
United States
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My family stayed here for one night during a DC vacation. The price originally attracted me - ensure you check the rate to see if you are going to pay extra for parking or not - I had to pay $25 for parking which surprised me and made the rate a little less of a value. Additionally, the parking garage is small and the next morning it was impossible to find a parking spot after I ran out for Starbucks. The rooms are spacious, with an incredible view regardless of the direction, and the hotel makes you feel like a celebrity.

Room Tip: Parking is extra and $25 a night
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank z06stinger
Suitland, United States
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My boyfriend and I had a mix up at check-in, but the manager worked everything out for us. He was great! I'll come back. Great location, beautiful property, nice staff. Oh, the restaurant is nice. They serve sushi too!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple