“Not a bad vacation ” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
North Carolina
“Not a bad vacation ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I was dreading staying here after some of the reviews I read, but it wasn't bad at all. The lobby is nice, the room was clean, the room service for breakfast was even reasonably priced. The restaurant was also fabulous. We would stay here again!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank myheartisinspain

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Hinesville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Great Stay Good times! The food and bar service was excellent. The staff was very accommodating even during the system being down during my check in process. The Concierge staff was very efficient in arranging transportation for the group to restaurants.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Nothing really jumps out at you when you enter this Hilton property. The lobby is clean and check in was no problem; we did arrive quite early. Our room had a great view of the surrounding area which is nothing to write home about. The nicest amenity was the shuttle service to the Metro station. From there you can get to anywhere in the DC area quickly. My wife and I did find a used insulin syringe on the floor near the rubbish. We called housekeeping and they retrieved it. The manager on duty was quite embarrassed and insisted we accept breakfast on the hotel. This was not a big deal to us, anyone could have missed it. The hotel took the appropriate measures to make things right so problem solved. As far as Hilton properties go this was average to above average which usually means a very good stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark G
Amherst, Nh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Beware of the omission of the reservation desk not telling you that parking will cost $24.00 per night. Also we were told that we would get free internet, and found this to be false, although they gave us a free code for it after we complained. We were also disappointed that the bathroom was very small and the toilet was dirty. Our trip was capped off by an early "wake up" by the maid service after we had checked in very late. We were disappointed in the price we paid for what we got.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank GaryKn
Ralph P, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear GaryKN
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your observations. We working very hard to continually improve our property and to provide all of our guests with the products and services that will exceed their expectations. Your comments indicate that you had a number of areas in which we failed to meet your expectations for which I sincerely apologize. Please know that most hotels in the D.C. and Alexandria area charge for parking. We also have packages listed on our web site that include internet and parking. Also, if you join HHonors you recieve free internet at many Hilton Hotels.
Again, thank you for sharing your observations and please know that we value your business and we look forward to being of service to you in the very near future.
Sincerely
Ralph Priesing
Richmond, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

It appears to me that the Hilton brand and the base rate that seemingly increases by the minute does not match up. Parking fee-why? The entrance is pleasing to the eye but then you check in.......When I stay at this property it's usually just an overnight stay and usually the room needs more cleaning or some item like an iron or coffee pot is missing; easy fix. Location, location, location is why I return,

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Anglea R
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Because I was on the first floor with the sliders opening up to the outside, I found the room smelled of smoke because previous guests must have smoked outside of the room. Also, the sound from the water spout in the pond behind the room was extremely loud. Very distracting. The jacuzzi tub/shower is not good for anyone with a handicap. Very hard to get in and out of. I did not spend a lot of time in my room, so it was tolerable.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Marshalls Creek, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I reserved one of the retreat rooms for our stay at the Mark Center. While it was a nice room, the minute we walked in I could smell mildew. We thought it might be ok and decided to give it a day.

At check-in (5pm) I requested a rollaway bed since we have a teen boy and teen girl and needed the extra bed space. By 9pm when we returned to our room, the bed was still not there. I attempted to call the front desk two times and both times the phone rang for one to two minutes before someone picked up and immediately put me on hold. The third time I called, I quickly stopped them from putting me on hold once they picked up and explained that we still did not have the rollaway. Thankfully the bed was delivered within 15 minutes. I also attempted to call the front desk to get information on the WiFi, which as a Hilton Honors member I received complimentary access to. Again, I had to call back more than once because the wait time for the call to be picked up and the hold time were unacceptable. I received the information and was able to then access the WiFi.

Overnight I had two asthma attacks which indicated to me that there was actual mold in the room, not just a mildew smell. I decided we needed a new room. First thing in the morning I was the first of the four of us to use the shower. The drain was extremely slow and the tub filled up while I was showering. The same occurred when each of my family members showered as well. While we were all getting ready, my husband checked out the fitness area and the pool area. He remarked that the gym looked unclean with sweat stains covering much of the equipment, as if it doesn't get cleaned regularly. The indoor pool area also looked unclean to him, but the outdoor area was fine. I want to clarify that I am not speaking of the pool water, just the area around the pool.

I went to the front desk on our way out for the day and spoke with Walter, the Front Desk Manager. I explained all of our problems and concerns and our experience thus far. He quickly remedied the situation by upgrading us to a king suite in the tower rooms, offered us free breakfast that morning, gave us free parking for the length of the stay and had our belongings moved from the old room to the new room.

The new room was much better. Though I will say, not to rely on the pull out couches for a comfortable sleep. While the rollaway beds were comfortable, the pull out couch was very uncomfortable and the kids could feel the springs. Our daughter ended up folding it back up and sleeping on the actual couch. The room was clean and very spacious and had a great view. The bathroom was much larger than the retreat room which was an added bonus – the tub drained well too.

The food at the restaurant was good enough, though pricey for dinner or room service (of course), breakfast was $13 for the buffet which was a good price.

Overall, I think that the issues with this hotel are simply because the hotel is understaffed. We saw the same people working all day and into the night when we were there. And the service seemed to suffer because of it as well. All of the staff in the restaurant the morning we ate there seemed stressed and in a rush. It took a while to get a glass of OJ and coffee, though our server was pleasant enough.

I wouldn’t choose to stay at this hotel again if I returned to the DC area. I think it has been forgotten by Hilton and doesn’t live up to the expectations of the name. While I will give credit where credit is due, Walter did everything he could do to make our stay more enjoyable and pleasant, he should not have had to go to the lengths he did. Hilton should provide him with the staffing necessary to provide guests with a clean, working, comfortable hotel room.

Room Tip: Tower rooms seem to be the better option. The retreat rooms smelled like mildew.