Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$146
US$190
US$192
US$182
  • Pool
Hilton Alexandria Old Town(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
US$225
  • Room Service
US$219
US$206
Residence Inn
1,628 results
All reviewsfinn porterretreat roomspentagon citycorner roomself parkingdc areashuttle serviceper dayfront desk staffthe room was nicefree shuttlefitness centerreagan airportmetro stopold townconventionvalet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 October 2010

I came here for a four-day, three night business conference. The free shuttle van from Reagan National was right on time and delivered me to the hotel in about 20 minutes. The driver was well-intentioned, but stopped the shuttle a few feet from the drop-off point to answer tourist questions, leaving the rest of us who had been to DC before and who wanted to get off the van and checked-in to wait several minutes until he pulled up the last few feet and opened the door. Again, well-intentioned, but not aware that some of us had been to the DC area and just wanted to get off the van and on to reception.

I arrived at 1PM. There were only two staff at the counter. One was on the phone constantly. The other one was busy checking in one person at a time. The line was 1/2 dozen people or so. I was fortunate to be first in line. So, my wait was short. The others, not to much.

As I made my way to the room, I observed dented/scratched elevators that were dirty, dark stains on my bedroom carpet, yellow stains on the bed sheets and a blow drier that when I turned it on sparked shot out flames (I'm not kidding) before it died. The room I was in was near an elevator on the 19th floor. The room door allowed noise from the hall to pass through to the room (including a binging sound every time an elevator arrived there). There occasional were noises coming from my ceiling that sounded like somebody dropping a bowling ball.

Even so, the staff was attentive and responsive when I requested a replacement blow drier. Reception staff were courteous and seemed to enjoy working there.

The conference I attended had about 500 attendees. The conference food was served at breakfast (continental), lunch (buffet) and happy hour (hors d'oeuvres). The food preparation at breakfast was fine. At lunch, the meat was overcooked and dry. The sides (mashed potatoes) were dry and looked unappetizing. The sides were mostly starches (potatoes, corn on the cob, bread) with no fruits and sparse veggies in some sort of casserole. The food didn't taste very good. The hors d'oeuvres at happy hour were not much better: potato chips, tortillas...with small plates and awkward serving utensils (spoon for potato chips???). The best thing I ate was a soft pretzel with mustard.

Overall, based on my experience, I would not recommend this location for a convention. It felt dirty. The amenities were not in good repair. The food was unappealing. The staff were attentive and provided good service, however.

It is worth noting that Hilton employees in Chicago are on a three-day strike as I write this. The hotel I am reviewing is not in Chicago. However, it makes me wonder if there were possibly strike-related staffing issues that led to the poor foot service. Not sure...

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our Hotel. While I was very sorry to hear that you were dissappointed with the general condition of the property, I was pleased to hear your positive comments about the level of service that you received.

We are in the final design stages of a complete guest room renovation that will commence this winter and be complete by early summer. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 4 October 2010

As locals from Northern Virginia, we booked this hotel as it was close to an event we were attending this past weekend even though we live in the area. I was pleased to see the area that this hotel was in, close to Old Town Alexandria but not too close to DC to be in a sketchy neighborhood. Our check in and parking were effortless and all of the hotel workers, from the valet to the front desk staff were very helpful and seemed to enjoy where they were working.

The hotel's rooms, are somewhat dated, but you can tell at one point in time this hotel was the cream of the crop. I'm not complaining, as the beds were soft, but the TVs were not flatscreens, and the minibar looked like something out of the early 80s. The toilet ran for about 2-3 minutes after each flush, and the telephone didn't work in our room, even though it was plugged in. The elevators were running slow, but as i was here on a leisurely trip, it really didn't matter. May be something to consider though if you are coming here on a conference and you need to get down quickly from the 30th floor to a meeting... One other note, this hotel was extremely QUIET. I'm sure it was not full at all, but I heard nothing in our room.

Try the bar at Finn & Porters - we had excellent service from our waiter, Prince, who was kind enough to put together a take-to-our-room package of the excellent food at the restaurant (vs. ordering room service). We also had wonderful service from Eric at the breakfast buffet.

All in all, I would stay at this hotel again for the rates they gave us and proximity to Northern Virginia sites.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to our hotel. We were very pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay. Thanks for the kind words about Prince, Eric and Finn & Porter - I know it will mean a lot to them that they favorably impacted your stay.

Reviewed 3 October 2010

Spouse and I had a long weekend planned for sightseeing in DC and some evening romance. We chose this hotel based on the reviews and expedia special rate we were able to get. We were not disappointed! Beginning with check-in (late, I might add) we were upgraded to a corner room on the 20th floor. View was fabulous and room was all about the details. The shuttle to the Metro was timely, and the driver's were great. Had dinner at Finn & Porter one evening -- salads were very tasty, but sushi was a miss; rice and nori was dry and too sticky; sushi tasted old. (We are sushi lovers, living in HI for the past 12 yrs). All in all -- even the sushi experience aside -- our stay gets an A+. We'll be booking here agin on our next trip.
If I had to fault this stay it is that WIFI is not free. What's up with that???? $9.95 a day??? Shame on you, HIlton!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to our hotel. We were very pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay. I was sorry to learn that you did not enjoy the sushi, which is usually a guest favorite - I've shared your comments with our culinary team.

Reviewed 27 September 2010

The service is excellent! I love the help and the attention I receive when I travel to the Mark Center Hilton. The bar tender, Paul, remembers me and the Sushi is really yummie. I recommend this Hotel as a great place to stay with easy access to downtown D.C., old town Alexandria, Crystal City and Georgetown. I particularly like the retreat area. It is quite and very relaxed. Do stay there if you get a chance. They do have a shuttle that runs you to the Metro and old town Alexandria. They drop you near the old Masonic Temple. That's a "great see", as well.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to our hotel. We were very pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay. Thanks for the kind words about Paul and Finn & Porter - I know it will mean a lot to him that he favorably impacted your stay.

Reviewed 27 September 2010

I really enjoyed my stay. The hotel receptionist was really cheerful and made me feel like I was a relative staying over for the weekend. She used my name and really welcomed me. Everybody was really helpful. I read that the elevator takes too long to come. But I stayed on the 26th floor as I recall and I never had to wait longer than three minutes for an elevator. I had a great time!!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
bantac, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to our hotel. We were very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you for the kind words about our staff - it means a lot to them to know that they are making a positive impact on our guests' stays.