“Can't say it was great”

Ranked #178 of 754 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Cross street: Washington Street
Transit: King Street Metro/Alexandria Dash Bus stops directly in front of Restaurant!
Virginia
“Can't say it was great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Had dinner pre fireworks on July 4th, average service and good food but not a steal. I felt a little like a tourist getting when the bill came as it was very pricy for what we ate. There are better places in Old Town to eat.

Visited July 2014

Alexandria, Virginia
“cute place but the food was disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

In an effort to try something new, my boyfriend and I passed by some of our favorite spots and walked into the Light Horse.

Off to a great start, got a cozy circular booth, perfect for a date and the bottles of wine were 50% off. The staff was friendly, offered suggestions and prompt.

We ordered the bacon wrapped dates that were filled with goat cheese; they were cooked well but they tasted grainy, not pleasant at all. We did not finished them.

Next we ordered the white bean and kale dip with chips. The dip was so bland, lacked flavor and depth of seasoning. We asked for some hot sauce in an attempt to jazz it up and that didn’t even help. The chips were fresh and tasty.

For the entrée we decided to share the scallops. They were prepared grilled on top of a smoked corn mash and green beans. When they arrived to the table there was an overwhelming fish smell; really pungent. My boyfriend ate 3 of the 4 scallops and choose not to eat the 4th, he just felt they had a funny texture. A bit surprising given that he has never met a scallop he didn’t like.

We nibbled on the corn chips, finished our delicious bottle of wine and truthfully left a little hungry. While I was hoping for this cute place to become a new favorite, the food missed the mark.

• Visited June 2014
Jumpin' all over the world
“Good if you can get a table”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had a party of 6 and no reservations, but figured since it was a Tuesday night it shouldn't be too hard to find a place for dinner on King St. We were surprised that the first four places we tried were full up, so we were very pleased when the Light Horse had a big booth for us all. Our meals were wonderful and the service was good. It was quite loud inside, making conversation across the table impossible, but we enjoyed our dinner nonetheless.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank RachelinKabul
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1,363 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 3,884 helpful votes
“Fantastic Rehearsal Dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Absolutely amazing experience! My husband and I had our rehearsal dinner here, sort of last minute because my original venue didn’t come through, and the managers and chef were so nice about it! They gave us the whole downstairs area and were very flexible about food and the number of people and giving me info on the history of the building and housing gifts and cleaning up after the gifts and letting me take a meal to go because my brother’s plane was delayed… everything went off flawlessly, and I so appreciate it! I will definitely recommend it to anyone who needs a venue for a rehearsal dinner, reception, family night out, date night, anything! Great job!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank QuickWhitTravel
Arlington, Virginia
“Light Horse Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stopped into Light Horse when walking through Old Town. I made reservations online when walking by and stopped when I came back. I was greeted cordially and seated immediately. The wait staff came immediately. They have a nice selection of beers, though I was disappointed that there was no porter. I chose a draft Pilsner and it was very good. I ordered the calamari. The presentation and preparation was excellent. I would have liked a bit larger portion for the price. It came with a marinara sauce but in a very small container. I ordered the King Street Burger which came with Bacon (smoked), mushrooms and onions. It was done perfectly and was very tasty. There is a choice of sides and I asked for the salad, which was just greens (a bit of a disappointment). The service and food was good and the prices are a bit high but then it is Old Town. Overall it was worth it. I would recommend a visit. It is not open for lunch during the week, but it is for brunch on the the weekend.

• Visited February 2014