“Valentine's Day Pre-Fixe Menu - Exquisite”
Review of BRABO Restaurant

BRABO Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
BRABO Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 754 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$5 - US$50
Cuisines: American, French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Harvard St
Transit: Metro one block, free trolley
Description: Named for a statue in of Antwerp, Belgium, BRABO Restaurant is as legendary and longstanding as its namesake hero. The award-winning talents of Chef Sebastien Rondier create unforgettable dining at BRABO Restaurant. The comfortable dining room's stylish details like a custom hammered copper bar reflect our historic Old Town location, topped off with an oversized antique map above the bar. The Brasserie up front features a lively atmosphere and hearty portions accompanied by a comprehensive cocktail list. Tucked away in the Formal Dining Room guests enjoy a leisurely paced meal of several courses in a Tasting Menu format. BRABO is dedicated to relationships with local farms and passionate artisans and is proud to feature local and regional products. Check in with one of our teammates for great recommendations of what to see and do around town- they love to share!
Washington, DC
“Valentine's Day Pre-Fixe Menu - Exquisite”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I think this was a 5 course menu and it was appropriately portioned so you were not stuffed. It was all wonderful, the food, the service, the paired wines, and even the atmosphere was not too crowded or too loud for sold out night. We had dined here once before, maybe a couple years ago, and this experience was far superior not only to previously dining at Brabo but superior to most restaurant experiences in general. We hope this type of experience continues in their day to day operations and is not just for Valentine's Day. We will return.

• Visited February 2014
Matty F, Manager at BRABO Restaurant, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thanks for the great review of Brabo! As challenging as "special occasion" nights can be, it's rewarding to hear that you had a great time...we look forward to seeing you again sometime soon!

Alexandria
“Roast beef aus jus is devine!”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I visited Brabo with some coworkers for a friendly lunch. We each ordered different entrees but everyone agreed that the food was excellent, and the atmosphere was wonderful...we we're able to family style and a long table instead of having to break up into two different booths. I ordered the roast beef aus jus sandwich, which came topped with caramelized onions and provolone. It was absolutely delicious. They also serve at each table a toasted loaf of breat with butter and black salt. It was so simple, yet so good that we we're practically fighting over it.

Matty F, Manager at BRABO Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
April,

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed such a lovely lunch in Brabo Tasting Room! That roast beef sandwich has been a big hit since the day we put it on the menu. Thanks so much for the kind words, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Alexandria, Virginia
“Excellent High-end Restaurant”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This is a first-class restaurant conveniently located in Old Town Alexandria. Excellent, creative cuisine. Warm, friendly atmosphere. Reasonable noise level. Pricey but definitely worth it.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank William U
William,

Thanks so much for the kind words...I look forward to sharing them with our entire team. We look forward to seeing you again!

Arlington
“Enjoyed the tasting menu”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We both ordered the tasting menu. The first course, seared raw hamachi on a vanilla cream-filled brioche with a dab of spiced grapefruit was amazing. We sopped yup every bit of the sauce. Then came an equally amazing oyster veloute; it was so rich and buttery that the small portion was appropriate, even though we wanted more. My wife like the rockfish less than I did, but we both greatly enjoyed its bed of slightly overcooked shrimp risotto. The sweet-and-sour duck breast, while not tender, was very tasty. We disagreed on the beef strip loin course; I enjoyed its bed of marrow-infused potato puree; my wife felt it was excessive. We both were glad for the sorbet, and enjoyed the dessert of bits of chocolate cake with candied walnuts.

Although my wife has brought her favorite wine ($25 corkage), I tried the wine pairings. The wines were mostly unfamiliar, although a few paired well with the food—such as a sparking Gruner Veitliner with the hamachi—I would likely not order them again.

Ryan, our waiter, was magnificent. He discussed the food and the restaurant knowledgably and enthusiastically. He added to the enjoyment of the evening. The room did not measure up to the rest of the experience. Although we had white tablecloths and starched dinner napkins, the room seemed dark and cheerless, and its hard walls reflected noise and sometimes made conversation difficult. Valet parking was efficient and free.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Arlingtonfoodie31
Matty F, Manager at BRABO Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderfully detailed review of Brabo. I'm glad that the food was not just satisfying, but thought provoking, too! Sounds like you and your wife had a spirited discussion about your dinner!

I look forward to sharing your kind words with our entire team, and especially, Ryan. I'm so glad to hear that he took such great care of you.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Alexandria, Virginia, United States
“Great Food....Service needs a lot of help”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I have dined there twice and the food was excellent both times. The atmosphere is very nice, but the servers and Host staff are in need of improvement. Both times the Host was very distracted and seated people who came in after us, and we had a reservation. On the other occasion our server did not pay very much attention to us, and it seemed as though it was because we were only a table of 2 and not a larger group. I would like to go back, but with the cost of the food, would need to hear that the service had improved.

• Visited April 2013
Jill,

While I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed our food both times you've visited, I'm very disappointed to read your comments regarding service. We put a lot of emphasis on making sure every component of each guest's experience enhances the others. I'm glad you've brought your concerns to our attention, so that we may discuss this with our staff and ensure that improvements are made. Feedback from guests such as yourself is a very valuable teaching tool for us...thanks again for letting us know how we fell short.

If you'd care to give us another chance, please email me directly at matty.fanning@braborestaurant.com so that I can make sure that your next visit lives up to the standards we set for ourselves.

Matty Fanning