“Great place”
Review of BRABO Restaurant

BRABO Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
BRABO Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 821 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$5 - US$50
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Harvard St
Transit: Metro one block, free trolley
Description: Named for a statue in of Antwerp, Belgium, BRABO Restaurant is as legendary and longstanding as its namesake hero. The award-winning talents of Chef Sebastien Rondier create unforgettable dining at BRABO Restaurant. The comfortable dining room's stylish details like a custom hammered copper bar reflect our historic Old Town location, topped off with an oversized antique map above the bar. The Brasserie up front features a lively atmosphere and hearty portions accompanied by a comprehensive cocktail list. Tucked away in the Formal Dining Room guests enjoy a leisurely paced meal of several courses in a Tasting Menu format. BRABO is dedicated to relationships with local farms and passionate artisans and is proud to feature local and regional products. Check in with one of our teammates for great recommendations of what to see and do around town- they love to share!
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Service was good.. Food was great.. The bar staff was very knowledgable ... It's understated but very good

Matty F, Manager at BRABO Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Ditjr,

Thanks for the kind words regarding your recent visit to Brabo! I'm glad you enjoyed the food and our knowledgeable service. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Started really strong with great, attentive service. Then my drink was wrong. And really weird! Then my dad's drink was wrong but the bar fixed it. My wine was underpoured since it was the end of the bottle but then another full glass was poured, which I thought was nice. However, my husband's wine was a short pour that remained a short pour. Food was fantastic by all accounts. I think the last time our waiter stopped at the table was to pour my wine. Never checked back at all - I'm pretty sure someone else asked if we'd like dessert or coffee. So that was pretty disappointing but since he started strong and the food was good, I gave the Very Good rating. I'd return. But honestly, the food was just as good at my recent visit to the Tasting Room with less "fine dining" fuss.

goodyrachel,

We appreciate the detailed and honest feedback regarding your recent visit to Brabo. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal, but it sounds like we let you down a little bit in regards to service. We take our service and hospitality very seriously and I'm sorry it didn't meet the quality of the food, or your expectations. Let us know the next time you're visiting- we'll make sure your experience is perfect from start to finish...

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Regards,

Reviewed 8 May 2014

This restaurant is close to the Hilton and the food is excellent as well as the service. The booths all face the street with great views of King Street traffic. We had Brabo American Breakfast and House Cured Salmon, both were delicious and fresh. The Cruyere Potato Cake was just outstanding and the Salmon beautiful and tasty. The chef cooked my soft but not runny poached eggs perfectly. Usually they're not right. This will be on my stops the next visit for sure.

Hi!

Thanks so much for the kind and detailed review of your breakfast at Brabo Tasting Room...I'm so glad you found us and that you enjoyed your meal so thoroughly! We look forward to seeing you again the next time your in town.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I don't normally focus on service when I am dining at a restaurant - sorry to all you hardworking servers and busboys out there, but I'm more about the food (quality, quantity, value) and ambiance (decor, cleanliness, noise levels). When the service is exceptionally good or exceptionally bad, that stands out. In my previous visits, Brabo was good, with interesting food and acceptable service. I also like other Robert Wiedmaier's resturants. At this Brabo experience, services was so bad that I woudn't bother with a repeat. Without going into all the details, our server, busboy and the manager were all clueless in appropriate standards of customer service. Our meals were wrong or undercooked, for which the server blamed the cook. Our check was wrong, for which the server blamed the cook. Our server and busboy had to be reminded to be bring out an order of English muffins and replace a fork/knife, and our food kept coming out in a disjointed fashion. The manager ended up blaming us for the bad service, because he said we insisted on sitting outside, where they normally don't serve. I was offended by his comments. When we got to the restaurant, the manager offered us the option to sit outside. In the courtyard, there are tables roped off from the fountain which implies that meals are served outside. At no time did any of the staff tell us that they don't consider the outside tables to be part of the dining room, until we presented a laundry list of complaints to the manager. Blaming a customer for bad service is a little risky, and I certainly wouldn't expect it of a higher-end restaurant like Brabo. Good for all the reviewers who had a better experience than we did, but I'm not OK with "luck of the draw" on getting reasonable service standards. I think there might be a systematic problem with management and hiring of personnel at this establishment. BTW, our omelettes were small and greasy. All the way around, a poor experience.

Matty F, Manager at BRABO Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

ZipZipZippy,

I'm sorry your experience at Brabo did not live up to your expectations. We pride ourselves on great service, terrific food, and tremendous hospitality. It seems we let you down, and for that I'm very sorry. I hope you'll give us another chance sometime to show you how good we can be. If you'd like to return, please contact me personally at Brabo so that I can ensure a great experience for you.

Regards,

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This review is of the bar only - for those of you who like a good cocktail. We stopped in for a nightcap on a trip to see family and friends. The restaurant looked intriguing and we will likely go for dinner on a return trip, even though the lighting is a bit dark as others have mentioned. There is a limited number of seats at the bar, but it wasn't crowded the night we went so that wasn't a problem. The bartenders were prompt and attentive, but otherwise disinterested in us. This is common in restaurant bars where the bartenders just have to get out large quantities of alcohol fast. It's nice to get a smile once in a while, though. So far, just an "average" rating. Nothing bad. Nothing spectacular. My wife had her usual - a Sidecar - which was well prepared. I found yellow Chartreuse sitting up high on a bar shelf, so ordered it on the rocks. Much to my surprise, the bartender pulled an open bottle out of the well to make my drink. Who stocks Chartreuse in the bar well!!!!????? Apparently they use it a lot in their specialty drinks so they keep it handy. What a pleasant surprise. I rarely find the stuff, even in so-called "upscale" restaurant bars, but to see it used with such familiarity was a delight. Rating just went up a notch. If you're looking for that specialty cocktail made "just so," BRABO bar is probably a good bet in Alexandria.

B M,

We do love our Chartreuse...we were featuring it in a couple cocktails this spring. Sounds like you had a good time, but I'm sorry you felt the bartenders were "disinterested" in you despite their prompt service. We strive for a better presentation than that...I'm sorry we let you down. Give us another try sometime!