“Definitely Wanted Us Happy”
Review of BRABO Restaurant

BRABO Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
BRABO Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 757 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$5 - US$50
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Harvard St
Transit: Metro one block, free trolley
Description: Named for a statue in of Antwerp, Belgium, BRABO Restaurant is as legendary and longstanding as its namesake hero. The award-winning talents of Chef Sebastien Rondier create unforgettable dining at BRABO Restaurant. The comfortable dining room's stylish details like a custom hammered copper bar reflect our historic Old Town location, topped off with an oversized antique map above the bar. The Brasserie up front features a lively atmosphere and hearty portions accompanied by a comprehensive cocktail list. Tucked away in the Formal Dining Room guests enjoy a leisurely paced meal of several courses in a Tasting Menu format. BRABO is dedicated to relationships with local farms and passionate artisans and is proud to feature local and regional products. Check in with one of our teammates for great recommendations of what to see and do around town- they love to share!
Philadelphia
“Definitely Wanted Us Happy”
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We were staying at the Lorien and decided to try BRABO. Menu is not large, but very interesting. Interesting selections of wine by the glass. We goofed our reservation time by a half hour and they were lovely. Food was excellent. One of the glasses of wine didn't seem quite right and the wine stewart did everything in her power to make it better. Service bogged down at dessert. Overall good, but tables are close and not as romantic as we had hoped.

“Two nice new additions to Old Town dining”
Reviewed 10 May 2009

We ate at Brabo on a recent Friday night and Brabo Tasting Room for lunch the next day. The main restaurant was attractively decorated, the service was very good, and the food was delicious. Our waitress made one mistake, but apologized quickly and was eager to fix it. The goat cheese terrine appetizer was a little bland, and seemed like it was just a piece of goat cheese with nothing more done to it. But the pork shank and lamb tenderloin entrees were great. There was a good selection of wines at fair prices, including several half bottles.

Brabo Tasting Room is the more casual restaurant, with very good savory tarts (I had the duck), salads and mussels. Service was friendly and appropriate for the more relaxed setting and the food was delicious. They also have a nice selection of Belgian beers.

Restaurants in Old Town have improved dramatically over the past 10 years and these two places are welcome additions to the upper end of King Street.

Norfolk
“After great anticipation and reviews, I have been greatly let down”
Reviewed 8 May 2009

Two weeks ago while my fiancé and I were visiting old town Alexandria we decided to visit the newer restaurant Brabo as we were staying at Lorien. The restaurant is after all attached to the hotel and after a little research by my fiancé into quite a few exemplary reviews, it seemed like a restaurant we didn't want to not try. I will sum up most of what I am going to write into one word. Disappointment. We started our dinner with the goat cheese terrine. First off, for goat cheese, is was quite flavorless and the only accentuating flavor was from lemon juice that had been poured on it, I could have gotten quite a lot better goat cheese two blocks over at Whole Foods. For our main courses I had the Bistro Filet and my fiancé had the Pan Seared Scallops and her aunt who was dining with us as well had the Roasted Farmhouse Chicken. I would like to say there was one thing constant with all of our meals and that was they were all over salted. It seems like that could have been the name of the restaurant as that was all we could taste. The Filet, even though a great cut of meat, came rare, not medium rare as I had asked. It wasn't even an issue of the cook didn't know as it came pre cut, so obviously the cook cut it saw it was rare and sent it anyway. The chicken was decent but once again all you could taste was salt, in the bird and the tarragon sauce. The only good part to the meal was my fiancés scallops which were cooked quite well and tasted excellent.
Over all I think this restaurant is way over hyped and overpriced.

2 Thank joelhill1307