“Excellent value for money in Alexandria”

SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town/Southwest
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
london
“Excellent value for money in Alexandria”
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

This Springhill Suites by Marriott is located on Eisenhower Avenue near the AMC Hoffman Center and Eisenhower Metro station. It is walking distance but the hotel also offers a shuttle service. Plenty of indoor and outdoor car parking. The hotel offers FREE parking, FREE buffet breakfast and FREE wifi. The rooms are very large and have one king bed or two queen beds. They also have a microwave oven and mini bar fridge and coffee maker. The bathroom is split into two separate rooms. One has the toilet and basin and the other has a shower and basin. Flat screen tv, separate writing desk, a large L shaped sleeper sofa. Room was very quiet with no noise from neighbours or the I-95 Freeway. Very helpful front desk and housekeeping staff. On site laundry room and all day complimentary coffee station. The free buffet breakfast was extremely busy on several days but the staff opened up the conference room to supply additional seating. Kitchen staff worked very hard to keep up with the demand for all the free buffet breakfast items. Chobani yoghurt was a nice surprise on the menu. There were lots of families with young children staying during the weekends but week days were more business types. Encountered no problems during this 8 day stay and highly recommend this hotel especially if you have a car. Neighbouring hotels charge for parking and for wifi and don't have a free buffet breakfast either. The only drawback is the hotel is not located in Old Town Alexandria but is a few minutes drive or Metro ride away.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank mrtravellerLondon
SHSAlexandriaSW, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for choosing the SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town SW, for your visit to the Alexandria area. I am thrilled that it was a success! Also, thank you for pointing out our great services and suggestion to improve! We value our traveler’s feedback and always use it to provide better services. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Chicago
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I enjoyed my weekend stay at SpringHill Suites. Upon entering the hotel, I liked my surroundings. The common areas are designed with modern furnishings. The woman at the check in desk was amicable.

I was pleased with the size, cleanliness and modernity of my room. I found it strange that the toilet/sink is located in a separate tiny room from the shower/sink. It would have been nice if they were in the same bathroom.

Breakfast was good as well. It included fresh fruits, yogurt, oatmeal and multiple toppings such as pecans and walnuts. I was so excited to see walnuts!! The breakfast area was light and airy. It was definitely not a cramped area. It was hard to find a table since it appeared to be a quite a popular hotel. I really liked sitting at the breakfast area. It was attached to the main lobby. I sat on one of the couches next to the large bay windows with the beautiful sun at my side.

I traveled to DC visiting a friend so I did not require a car. I am not sure if I would stay in the hotel if I did not have a car as it's quite a distance from the main attractions of DC. I did not have any experience with the shuttle service offered by the hotel. The hotel is in close proximity to Old Alexandria, but again, it's not walking distance. I am not recommending this hotel to people who come with the expectation that they will be in the middle of all the action. However, I am recommending this hotel to people who have access to a car or don't mind using the shuttle service to the nearest metro stop. I would stay in this hotel again b/c of the beautiful, clean areas and if I had access to a car.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank map2010
SHSAlexandriaSW, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
It was so nice to read your comments about your recent stay; thank you very much. We truly appreciate that you were with us for this special visit to D.C. and so thankful you took the time to share your experience. From the location, to the hotel, to the service, it sounds like you certainly experienced exactly the stay we strive to provide.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed their for 2 non consecutive nights and had a great stay. Had a problem with our room upon check in but the front desk staff was very kind and fixed the problem immediately. Shower and toilet were in separate rooms which was a bit different then I was used to, but didn't turn out to be a huge deal. Also breakfast was only served till 9am on the weekdays which I thought was a bit early. Other then that, clean hotel and I would stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MathiasTheTraveler
It was so nice to read your comment and I truly appreciate you having chosen to stay with us. We certainly work hard to provide just the experience you described and I am so happy you enjoyed our hotel.
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Family of four stayed here for two days. Room was large. Starting to show its age with rusted shower hooks and gen1 iPod clock radio player. There were two dirty plates on shelf over microwave on check in. The maid missed it between guests. The breakfast was good but crowded and poorly attended with lack of ownership by hotel staff. I would have a staff member or two present to help clear and wipe down tables. Demonstrate the difference between just working and caring about guests. There were no Thanksgiving decorations. Adding a cornucopia, special napkins or table decorations help create memories and encourage return customers. A thanksgiving thank you as simple as bottled water on check out would reinforce the Thankful for Your Patronage theme. We look forward to staying with you again at Christmas hint, hint. Four out of five stars.

Stayed November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. During the holidays we will to allow our staff to enjoy time with their family so have limited staffing. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 November 2013

we stayed here for 1 night while working in the area. weekend prices are great. breakfast was good, 2 warm dishes, oatmeal, bread products, yogurt, cereal. the exercise room was very nice. the room is quiet. some oddities- the lobby is on floor 2. you cannot pay for your room with a Marriott gift card at this location. getting back onto 95 is a trip from the hotel, lots of abrupt side streets and twists and turns. an enjoyable stay overall.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
SHSAlexandriaSW, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on trip advisor following your recent stay at the SpringHill Suites. We are delighted to read your review, also it gives us great pleasure to know that we could fulfill your vacation expectations. The hotel does expect all Marriott Gift Cards. However, there are several types of gift cards that cannot be used on group or discounted rates. Be sure and review the back of the gift cards terms and conditions. This will clarify what type of reservations it can be used for. Hope to see you again soon!
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Great all suite hotel. Very surprised by the large size of the rooms for this area. Great location and easy access to the Metro station. It was a very nice touch to have a shuttle that takes you too and picks you up from the Metro. Also enjoyed the outdoor patio, we got a bottle of wine from the Market at the front desk and sat outside, would be nice if the hotel offered disposable wine glasses. Thanks for a great stay and I'm looking forward to a repeat visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
We pride ourselves on our personalized service, and we are delighted that you were able to experience this first hand. I will be sure to share your kind comments with our leaders and staff.
Oklahoma
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I met a friend here for a quick overnight. I wanted to show her around the area and be somewhat close to the sites.

The room is the newer configuration of the Spring Hill Suites. The bathrooms remind me of cruise ships with the split bath, it is nice when we were getting ready for bed and each had a sink to use.

I appreciate the free parking, free wifi and free breakfast. The parking was covered or open, which I appreciated. There was a shuttle to the nearest metro station, we did not use but I felt this was a nice touch.

Alexandria can be a tricky part of town with safety etc. As two young women, I felt very safe in this area and would recommend this hotel to anyone including those with small children. The entry way is pretty but if you have large suitcases, a stroller, wheelchair, etc you will want to take the elevator.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
We are pleased that you experience this first hand and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful hotel soon!