SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town/Southwest
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
sugar land
“Super nice.”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband thinks this was an old office building converted to a hotel. In any event, this was a nice and clean hotel. Stayed only one night with a family of 5.
- Super L shaped sectional in the "living" space of the room.
- Loved the separate toilet and shower areas - both with sinks
- Cool sliding glass/window on desk . My kids enjoyed taking drive through orders with it.

I did have an issue with the pull out sofa. When I went to make the bed, there were only flat sheets and a blanket for it (no pillow or fitted sheet) so I called down to the front desk to request the needed items. Forty-five minutes later, they still hadn't brought them, so I went down to request a fitted sheet, a pillow and an extra blanket. When I told the employee at the front desk (who sounded like the one I spoke with on the phone ), he asked me if I was sure there was no fitted sheet then I overheard him talking another employee saying "That's what she said." Why would I lie about not having a fitted sheet and why would I want an extra one??? The guy came back with a fitted and flat sheet and a pillow- still missing the blanket. But I was tired and just took them and left.
Breakfast - I read other people's comments about the eggs, so I avoided them. My husband said they were just cooked really well - as in scrambled hard, not fluffy. Food selection was standard, nothing outstanding.
They do offer free shuttle to the metro, but I couldn't figure out if you got a ride there how would you get back? It was about a mile and a half away. We had a car, so it was moot.
All in all, I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Setauket, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel is very clean and has a nice contemporary feel to it. For this trip, we utilized the shuttle service to take us to the Eisenhower metro and pick us up at a nearby restaurant, and it was very convenient and quick (not more than a 10 minute wait either way.) The staff is very accommodating (a special shout out to CJ who helped us with an issue with the AC in our room-thank you!!) This is our go-to hotel for visits to the area, which is quite often as our daughter lives in Alexandria. Even though there are other hotels nearer to where she lives, we prefer to stay here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
SHSAlexandriaSW, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town/Southwest, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Dear S.M.,

Thank you for your business and thank you for taking the time to write a review of the SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town South West. I am so happy to hear that we are your "go-to" hotel when in the Alexandria area.

Thank you for the compliment for C.J. he is most certainly one of our very best and we will be sure to recognize him.

Take care and please come again soon.

Danielle M. Hood

SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town South West
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a quick weekend into DC. We parked at the hotel and took the shuttle to the metro station (nearest one is the Eisenhower stop-yellow line). The front desk clerk erroneously told me that the Eisenhower station did not have the machines which sells the SmarTrip cards so the shuttle took us close to the King St metro which did have the machines. On our way back, we got off at the Eisenhower stop and saw that they did have the machines.

We got a king suite room. Our teenage girls didn't like the fact that they had to sleep in the pull out sofa but other than that, the room was nice. There's a separate toilet room w/ sink and then the shower & sink room. The shower was a nice large shower w/ glass door. Only complaint was that there wasn't enough hooks to hang up your towels. A towel rack would have been nice to hang up your face towels and bath towels to reuse the next day. The AC worked a little too well - we were cold even though we turned the temperature up to 79 then 81 degrees! Maybe there was something else we had to manipulate besides the wall thermostat?

The breakfast selection was good but the set up was not. There was only one toaster for everybody that wanted to toast their waffles/bagels/bread. Every time I looked, there was a line at least 8 persons deep. The other table was set up w/ oatmeal, fruit, cereal and muffins - that line went a little faster. There was lots of seating inside & out but if there are tour buses staying overnight - seats may be hard to find! They did have a sign saying you can use one of the meeting rooms though.

1 Thank safety_princess
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel.

I apologize for the misinformation on the Metro. In the recent past you could only add fare to a Smart trip card or purchase a paper-fare card at the Eisenhower location. Therefore, the addition of the Smart Trip Machines at Eisenhower must be a recent development. Thank you so very much for the updated information.

With regards to the buffet, we are happy to report that we will be adding a toaster to alleviate the line in that area. Please come back and check out the changes.

We hope to serve you again in the future so please come back for a visit.

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Alexandria Old Town South-West
St. Louis Missouri
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

You can't beat this hotel for the price and proximity to the metro. This hotel looks pretty new. Loved the contemporary style, underground parking, comfortable beds and staff. The breakfast area is crowded and if you love scrambled eggs- DO NOT EAT THE EGGS- they are made from something that's supposed to resemble eggs. But if you like NUTELLA - you will be very happy- get in the line for the toast and you will find the NUTELLA - right next to the bagels- yummy! We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed August 2014
Dear Julesmom,

Thank you for the review of our location. I am glad that you had a good stay with us. I have some great news regarding our buffet. We have just recently changed our egg preparation to great reviews. Therefore, please come back and try us out again in the future.

It would be our pleasure to serve you in the future should your travels return you to our area.

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Old Town South-West
Oxon Hill, Maryland
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Been here the day after New Years 2014 with a couple getaway and me and my boyfriend loved it. The rooms are extremely modern, we ordered food and it came quickly! Very convenient and the shuttle to and from the movies up the street was great! Love every moment! Me and my boyfriend are returning this weekend for his birthday weekend! The staff is very friendly, completely at your service and housekeeping cleans up phenomenally.

Room Tip: Ask for sound-proof room on a high floor!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Taalibah M
Dear Taaliabh,

Wow thank you for the wonderful review of the SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town South- West. I am so very happy that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our close proximity to the movies etc.

I hope that you will come back soon. If so please stop in and say hello so that I may put a face with a name.

Alexandria Old Town SouthWest
Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed here for a basketball tournament held in DC. The hotel was very clean and spacious. The breakfast was good. There were two issues that put a blemish on things. One was the lack of shuttles to the metro and other destinations. At one point we waited for almost an hour. The other issue was poor air conditioning. Our room was in the mid 80's the first night. The staff, especially CJ, was wonderful. They changed rooms for us and responded expertly and kindly to all of our concerns. Our friends had issues with a noisy running toilet but maintenance attempted to fix it a couple of times. Overall, the customer service was superb and the staff was outstanding. This overshadowed the few issues we had with the premises.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ina M
Dear Ina. M.,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am so happy to rear that you had a wonderful service experience while you we with us. At the SpringHill Suites Alexandria Old Town, we strive to provide best in class service and I am so happy that we were able to provide that to you.

Please allow me to apologize that you and your friends experienced some maintenance issues. However, I am glad that the issues were resolved prior to your departure.

I hope that you will come and visit us should your travels return you to the Alexandria area in the future.

Danielle M. Hood
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Alexandria Old Town South West
Hoover, AL
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Our family arrived at night. It was very nice to park under the building and enjoy covered parking. It was also a safe part of town and we saw many joggers outside.

The staff was friendly. Rooms super clean and new. Breakfast was good except for the eggs that appeared to be powdered. They also had a nice patio where we could eat our breakfast outside.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family