“Gross & Unsanitary”

Ranked #38 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
San Diego, California
“Gross & Unsanitary”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Had the displeasure of staying here on a school field trip. This place is disgusting. Room smelled horrible and clearly had not been cleaned. Toys left under a dresser, hand print on bedroom wall along with a "spray of spots" above the headboard! Not sure the last time the kitchen had been cleaned. We were offered a choice of other rooms only to find roaches in the kitchenette of one of them. People obviously living in this hotel. Children boarding the bus for school in the morning, & adults coming in with bags of groceries. Lots of shady looking characters and people fighting in their room down the hall. Lastly the 2nd night there the fire alarm goes off at midnight - because of a drunk on the 5th floor!!! I absolutely DO NOT recommend this place!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mary W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Boston
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We needed a pet friendly, economical Washington, DC hotel as close to I 95 as possible as we drove from MA to FL in February. This place fit the bill exactly. Our room on the dedicated pet floor had two queen size beds, a sitting area with a pull out couch, a small but adequately equipped kitchen that allowed us to heat a can of soup and store fruit in the frig and a full bath with tub and shower. We were very comfortable and appreciated the convenient, free parking; the large luggage trolley; the helpful desk staff and the complimentary Wall Street Journal. Our only caveat is Skip the Hotel Restaurant. We had the rudest, nastiest waiter we have ever encountered. He was openly hostile (asked to repeat the salad dressing list amidst thunderous music which he refused to lower, he sarcastically intoned, "As I just said...). The food was fine, although the portions were small, but the service was horrendous. So stay at the hotel, but eat next door at Reynolds Street Bar and Grill.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank dryFlyfisher
Deltona, Florida, United States
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The price was right, the employees were helpful and friendly, the continental breakfast was perfectly fine, and the cleaning staff was wonderful.
Not wonderful: shuttle drivers talked on cell phones to and from the station, were not responsive to calls for pick-ups from Metro. Had to call more than once.
That however, pales in comparison to the fact that it was incredibly difficult to sleep because of multiple HERDS of children running up and down the halls all night long. We were on floor seven, and we could hear them playing in the elevators and on the floors above and below us. My SO and I opened the door many, many times a night in order to tell them to shut up, to no avail. Many complaints and calls to the front desk, and they eventually made it right on the bottom line of my stay, but it was awful.

Room Tip: Only two rooms on each floor have a balcony. Also, this hotel is right near a fire station, you will...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We attempted to check in and was given keys to room 617. I went to the room with my 13 year old daughter and were overtaken by a foul odor in the room. Looking in the bathroom someone had gone to the bathroom and didn’t flush leaving human remains in the toilet. Obviously the room was not cleaned prior to the keys being given to me.

I called the front desk and they said they had another room. I asked if they were sure the room was clean and ready for occupancy and was assured it was clean and ready. We went back down to the lobby and the keys to room 710 were given to us. We went up to room 710 and neither of the keys would open the door. The red and green lights would flash. I called the front desk form my cell phone and they said to come back to the lobby. We went to the lobby and received two more keys. Neither of the two new keys would open the door. The maintenance person was called and showed up at room 710 after we waited about 12 minutes. The maintenance man could not get into the room and told me that flashing red and green means the room is occupied and locked on the inside. The maintenance man said he was going to try and figure out who was in the room.

I called the front desk and expressed concerns for the safety and health of me and my 13 year old daughter as it Washington Suites clearly had no command and control over who was in any of the rooms they were trying to give to us. Furthermore allowing us to stay in an unclean room is a health risk as it is unsanitary. In addition to that we had been all over the hotel several times and waited approximately 45 minutes to go thru what was described above.

I asked to speak to the manager and was told I could only email them. I demanded a refund of $97.18 for one night and they told me to talk to Groupon and email the Revenue Manager Victoria Catherine vicky.catherine@wsava.com.

The fine print did not clearly define that Washington Suites would attempt to jeopardize the health and safety of my family.

This place did not seem like a real hotel and I asked at front desk and they said "we do have some extended stay guests". It was more like a fly by night hourly or weekly room rental.

We moved to Hilton Alexandria Old Town, 1767 King Street for $107.00 a night and it was awesome.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TJmustangTJ
OCEAN VIEW
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Reserved this hotel with a groupon. price was ok. Close to Metro and they offered free shuttle service. All employees I had contact with were friendly and helpful. The hotel is very big. It is also a bit dated. I believe this hotel is an extended stay place. While returning from the Metro in the shuttle we made quite a few stops to drop off passengers (at local pharmacies) or pick up passengers at (dougnut shops). It seemed they were there for more than just a few days. Which leads to my biggest negative for this hotel. The smell once we exited the elevator on our floor. Old , stale and every kind of cooking smell all into one stench. It was making me sick. I thought if my room smells like this I can not stay here. Upon entering our room, which was very nice, clean, roomy with nice flat screen televisions. It smelled fine. Thank goodness. While sleeping in a very comfy bed, like some other reviewers have noted It was very noisy. Doors slamming all night. I'm not sure why but I felt a little scared, at one point about 3am I thought someone was banging on my door. I think it was someone elses room but it seemed that loud. Enjoyed the complimentry breakfast. It was nothing special. It was enough for us to start our sight seeing day. The woman that was the attendant in the breakfast room was very pleasant. All and all ok stay but I would probably not pick this hotel. I think you could get closer to walking restaurants and Alexandria ativities for maybe a couple more $$ and I think it would be worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank xrayjng
Baltimore
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This is an extended stay hotel. This hotel may be for the working ladies. Definitely not a Sheraton hotel. Never again. This hotel is a 2.5 and no more. Front desk was pleasant but it was hard to focus on anything with all the kids running around. The furniture was from good times the series in the 70's. I just did not feel safe to sleep on the sheets with my bare skin. Even though the rooms are exactly the same you see on the website the pictures have to be from years ago when the furniture still looked fresh. The furniture I see here today in 2013 looks like it has been in a college dorm. I am warning all looking for quality at a cheap price it does not exist. I have learned my lesson for the last time. Spend the extra hundred or so it's worth it.

• Stayed October 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

I would strongly recommend you find another place to stay. I did not feel safe or comfortable. When we arrived at 9:30 pm we were told that our room was just being 'messed up' (meaning fixed up). Why so late for preparing a room? The room was big, but old and the cleanliness was questionable. The sheets smelled of bleach which was somewhat comforting. The hallways and parking lot were very busy and loud well past 3 a.m. Doors constantly slamming, people noise both inside and out, and a constant elevator beeping went all night long. We could not wait for the sun to come up in order to leave.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family