“Worse experience EVER!!!!!!”

Ranked #37 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
Chicago, Illinois
“Worse experience EVER!!!!!!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Wish I could give negative star rating. Worse experience ever. Checked in on a sunday evening. Paid with cash as I always do. Tuesday the air conditioning goes out. We are assured it is being fixed and dealt with it for the evening. Went out the next day and arrived back at 9:30 pm to an 84 degree room. Went to front desk and was told they are still working on it, but have made arrangements with another hotel, BUT....this other hotel charges for parking and it would cost me $100. Washington suites refused to cover the other room. Wife and I spent an hour checking other hotels in the area. Found one and checked out. Couldnt get my money back. No manager available. Told I would receive a check in the mail in a few weeks. Took two more days of stopping at the hotel, requesting managers, phoning managers and finally got our money back Friday evening at midnight. WORSE experience ever. Do not waste your time or money. Homewood Suites in Alexandria is an outstanding hotel and took real great care of my family and I on our vacation when this dump refused to.

Room Tip: Any room that is NOT in this building would be a better option. Homewood Suites in Alexandria is FA...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jason343

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Hamilton, Ohio
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The hotel is showing its age a bit. We usually rent condos, so the space was smaller than we are used to, but I knew that going in. I knew we weren't going to cook much, but come on, one fork, one spoon for a room designed for 6.
The pool was well taken care of. 2 lifeguards every day.
Front desk was friendly and usually very helpful. I did ask for some more spoons so we could eat our ice cream we bought, and never got them.
One of the shuttle drivers was very good and very knowledgable. The others, I felt, did not always follow driving rules. One turned left in front of a trick that I felt was a bit close.
The in house restaurant was good. Bartenders/ servers were very friendly. We ate with them 3 times and enjoyed all the meals.
I would like to see them add fruit to the breakfast bar. Other than that, it's a typical included breakfast.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was NOT the fresh, bright and wonderful hotel my family and I were expecting for our D.C. vacation. Drab would be how I would describe the hotel itself. We checked-in in the evening and was given a room that appeared as if someone had just stayed in. Found bread in the kitchen, trash on the balcony and bottle cap and candy on the floor in the room. Shortly thereafter we smelled gas in the kitchen. We should have just checked right back out. We were accommodated instead in their 2 bedroom, 2 bath, suite which sort of made up the inconvenience. Regardless, the floors were creaky all over, décor/furniture was outdated and needed cleaning. Breakfast in the morning could have used more variety. It was mostly, if not all, breads and cereal. No fruits, eggs or bacon/sausage. The hotel appeared busy yet I must have only seen a total of 4 staff during our stay. We didn't even bother checking out the pool or other accommodations (if there were any) as we were already disappointed. Next time we're staying at a Hilton.

1 Thank eyelvert
Charlotte
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Creaky floors, hair on "clean towels", worn out carpet and dated kitchens. The rooms look absolutely nothing like the website photos. Also, look at the reviews on the hotel site. Notice anything? They are all from. The same day, in February 2013. Want to guess why? Possibly because they are fake. I can handle a lot, but an unclean room , unsanitary linens, and terribly worn out accommodations aren't among them. Sleep in your car, it's a better option!!!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank NC63Guy
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel needs a lot of renovations. Our kitchenette was outdated, the floor was creaky and had nails coming up through it (YIKES), we were on a no smoking floor but the floor reeked with cigarettes. The breakfast buffet needs to have more options with eggs and meat like sausage or bacon. There's just yogurt, croissants, waffles, and muffins. More options please!! The shuttle bus driver we had was really nice. The person who was supposed to be at the front desk was never there. We waited for an hour and went to lunch and she still wasn't there. After 25 minutes of more waiting she came and she didn't seem pleasant. This hotel could definitely be better.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel tries to cut labor cost by cutting corners. There is a swimming pool with posted close time at 9:00 PM. After we checked out the pool at 8:30PM, we went back to change into swimming suites and came back at around 8:45PM. A 15 minute dip was enough for the child. The life guide then told us that the pool was closed even if it was still 8:45PM. The kids were very sad and crying, yet the life guard and the management just would not let us use it even though we plead with them and showed them the posted hour. They told me that they were only paid through 9PM, and since they needed 15 minutes to cleanup, they stopped letting guest use the pool at 8:45PM. I was shocked to hear that because all business had to spend time clean up AFTER closing, not BEFORE closing. I told them they should change the posted close time to 8:45PM if that was the case. The guides then called their supervisor and he talked to me on the phone and gave me the exact same reason for closing early and stated he would not pay the guides for single minute past 9PM. I wonder what other corners they would cut if they were willing to game to posted operating hours. I have never seen any hotel management with so little integrity. The management and staff exhibited neither professionalism nor understanding towards their guest.

The hotel itself is dated. The room size is bigger than average motel. The carpets and furniture are worn. The sound proofing is poor compared to the noise in the building, the sound of elevators doors and bells in the hallway can be heard loud and clear throughout the night. There was a strong smell in the lobby and hallway. But any of the hardware deficiency is minor compared to the mistreatment of the guests I experienced.

if the staff cut corner at most visible place, where else are they cutting corners at travels expense.

Room Tip: Stay way if you intend to use the amenities
1 Thank Kai L
Chesterton, Indiana
Reviewed 13 June 2014

While staying at Washington Suites we were impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel. At first, we were not, as we came down towards our room - to put it mildly - it smelled pretty poor. However, once we were in our room we noticed that although we would prefer a different smell, the room was clean. Each day, the maid did a good job to clean everywhere, so I'm not sure if the smell was because it is an older hotel or because the rooms are used for extended stay. Sometimes smell come about from extended stays.

The smell on the 2nd floor leading out the the pool is unbearable. We just held our breath until past this point! :)

Breakfast was fine and always stocked. The breakfast staff was very nice.

The rooms are huge and comfortable. The beds, towels and other things were of good quality. Water pressure in the shower was fantastic!

If you are from the mid-west and haven't been around other ethnic groups, you might be a bit in shock at your first arrival. Many Middle-Eastern customs are observed by people who live at Washington Suites. Our kids were at first surprised to see persons with nothing showing of themselves in anyway (not even eyes). But, you can get used to it just fine.

Hotel was not far from the Metro station. A ten minute walk, or use the free shuttle the hotel provided.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and were convinced each day that we made a good choice in our lodging accommodations.