“terrible service, not worth the money” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town

Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town
Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
Hampton, Virginia, United States
“terrible service, not worth the money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

Chose this location for our family for a one night stay. Picked for great location and parking included in rate. Old and out of date suites look shabby. Layout of hotel interior is very inconvenient. "Pool" is the size of one bed room. Not made aware that comp breakfast ended at 930, no food for my small children to eat when we came down to breakfast at 10am.... literally no food served on property between 930 and 1100. No help from distracted and uncaring staff. Will never stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Victoria M
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and are very concerned with the inconveniences you experienced. I am pleased that you provided us another avenue to reach out to you and discuss these issues and look forward to your return to our property. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed here 3 nights for a conference. The hotel is across the street from the Metro stop, which was so convenient flying into DCA. Spacious king suite but the pullout sofa sleeper had me tossing and turning all night. Bathroom was very small, the tub and door nearly bumped the toilet. Conference meals and buffet breakfast were great, but the onsite restaurant was slow, pricey and not very good. Wanted to use the hot tub and indoor pool, but the smell of chlorine was so strong it made me cough so much I couldn't stay more than a minute. Overall a decent budget option, but not as nice as we expected.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that although it appears that there were some issues for you during your stay, that you still consider our hotel a good value. I will need to confer with the pool company to understand what the requirements are from the Alexandria Health Department, as it concerns me that the chlorine smell made you uncomfortable. I hope that you will stay with us again and that during your next visit you will be able to enjoy the pool and whirlpool. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights recently for work, and it has a great location. Not just for my work but it is literally across the street from the king street metro stop. This is convenient for travelers like myself flying into Reagan airport and going to DC without a car. There is also a shuttle bus at the metro that takes you into old town which is nice to have so close. It probably has the best location of the hotels in the alexandria/kingstreet/carlyle area but there are quite a few other ones within a block or two. It's in my experience a little more expensive than the Westin or the Marriot. Honestly I think in the future I will probably continue to just get the one that is cheapest when I need to go.

Pros: Atrium and breakfast are nice, typical of embassy suites. Nice to have a free breakfast, the Westin charges a ton for it. They tried to charge for Wifi which bugs me, but I was able to get free ATT Wifi most of the time which was great. Elevators are very fast and nice to use, one of the best systems I've seen. Not sure how but there was never a wait! Bed was comfortable and I slept well.

Cons: The couch was awful. Most uncomfortable couch i've ever sat on. Seemed new and probably fairly expensive but it was so stiff, boxy and rigid it was completely un-usable. Just to sit on, I did not attempt to sleep on the pull out part - nor would i want to. Room was a bit loud in the living room side, but the bedroom was quite which worked for me. I could see it being an issue with kids on the sofa though. The couch was so uncomfortable I ended up not using that room at all. Another con was the pool, it was tucked away in a tiny corner, very uninviting - seemed like it was just there because they had to have one. Not a big fan of that, but it was a similar problem at the Westin. Amazingly this one was even worse though.

Note on breakfast -Breakfast as a slight bit disappointing, not because it was bad it was just like what i have had at other Embassy Suites but it wans't any better either. This is in a city with a ton of great places to get pastries and lots of international people/travelers and it was just a vanilla and plain as it is in the middle of georgia or michigan. That said it's a chain so maybe its hard to vary.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on the far side from the metro (closer to Duke street), I got one of those ro...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Thank you for providing such a detailed review of our hotel. It does appear that you had some issues and I thank you for sharing these with us. Our couches in the rooms do have a contemporary flair that is not suited to every individual, and can be a challenge for those who prefer the more comfortable pillow top couches. Embassy Suites as a brand, does encourage all of its properties to provide similar items for the breakfast and Manager’s Reception, although our staff will be glad to assist with any special requests our guests may have. I do hope that you will return to our property, as we believe the value for our inclusive suites, far surpasses other hotels standard room accommodations. Best Regards … MaryAnne Russell General Manager
RGV, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

I stayed here during a business trip to Alexandria; my husband came with me. The location is excellent for Alexandria itself--across from the metro (only two stops from DCA) and a short walk to the quaint King's Street area. The lobby area and lounge are very nice. As with other Embassy Suites, there is a manager's reception with complimentary softdrinks, beer, and wine; there is a charge for cocktails, but it is slight (something like $2.50). The breakfast buffet has a good variety of made-to-order options beyond omelettes.
The room itself is fairly standard for ES, with the bathroom being just slightly smaller than others I've seen in ES. I would consider staying here again for another trip to Alexandria. Since it is located across from the metro, it would also be convenient for DC.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. How wonderful that you were able to visit, and that your husband could accompany you on the trip. I am please that your stay was nice and look forward to having you visit again, when you are in the DC area. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Peotone, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We got a great rate for an overnight as our base for a visit to DC. Parked our car for $12/night using their special parking and room rate. Metro is across the street. Hotel is also within walking distance of many nice shops and restaurants on King St. Hot breakfast is very complete and tasty. There is a fee for internet access but I was getting free attwifi from somewhere while I was there.

Room Tip: Our room was down a short hallway away from the atrium. Very quiet compared to noise of atrium.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank empjm
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you were able to avail yourself of the “Park and Play” room rate and that your stay was a pleasant one. Do come back and see us soon. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
South Orange, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

Positive: Good location for the Metro & Amtrak; The Wharf & Flying Fish Restaurants.

Negative: Had to wait 45 minutes for a room even though I had a confirmed reservation since August '12. The room was FILTHY. Upon request, we received another cleaner room. On the 3rd night (of a 5 night stay), we were kept awake until 3AM by noisy teenagers. When I called the Front Desk, no one answered. Had to be up at 5:30AM to attend a 7AM business conference with only 2 1/2 hours sleep. After I returned from the conference, I asked for a room change & was rudely told that "I" couldn't keep switching rooms. I mentioned to one of the personnel that as a Hilton Honors member, I had never been treated so impolitely or disrespectfully. The other personnel said she located a room & we needed to move ourselves.
Beyond the room problems, the front desk seemed annoyed whenever I asked for directions to a restaurant/pharmacy/shopping/church. That really made a bad impression on this 1st time visitor to Alexandra VA. The pool is very small. The free breakfast & manager's reception are just OK. Will definitely consider other hotels, besides a Hilton, when making another reservation.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
2 Thank mckennly
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am concerned by your stay. Needless to say, that we have not provided you with the stay you so deserve. Please reach out to me at the hotel, as I would appreciate speaking with you directly about your issues. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

We got there Thursday afternoon, and chose this hotel because Amtrak was across the street along with Metro stop, and we were taking Amtrak next morning to Richmond. We loved this hotel so much that we cancelled our other hotel booked for Saturday night and changed it to come back to here. It was a joy to be able to walk across the street and hop on Metro. We brought our grandkids and daughter back with us for one night, and little ones enjoyed the indoor pool. Beds were extremely comfortable, room was very clean,and also like the fact that it is 2 stops from Reagan Airport. Irish bartender was a delight to talk to, and made great drinks. The atrium served us well in all just sitting around and talking. One thing to know. This hotel at the front desk has a list of rules, such as no loitering, no kids roaming around unsupervised, etc. It shows in it being a peaceful place to stay. We will stay here when we come back to DC, no doubt about it. Also can take Metro to Reagan airport, or a quick 17 dollar cab ride. Alexandria was also a beautiful area to stay in. Felt very safe.Also if you get a chance, Thiesmanns next door had wonderful food. The hotel also had good pizzas for the night we were there with grandkids, and 2 for 25 was not a bad price for hotel food. I would recommend this place to any of my friends if they were coming to DC to visit.

Room Tip: We stayed on side with train station and slept like babies, so can not imagine any of the rooms bein...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ndw1964
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Thank you for your review. How wonderful that you decided to stay with us longer than originally anticipated. I am pleased that you and your family were able to spend quality time together and enjoy what our hotel has to offer. We hope that next time you visit the DC area we may be able to welcome you again. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager