“Excellent stay for a large family visiting D.C.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Minnesota
“Excellent stay for a large family visiting D.C.”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I chose this hotel for our family's trip to Washington, D.C. because 1) it sleeps a family of six; 2) it's across the street from the Metro station; and 3) the price is fair. I was very happy with the decision to stay here.

We were in room 812, on the "premium" floor with a room overlooking the Metro station and the George Washington Masonic Memorial. Though the room was standard for Embassy Suites, it had recently been upgraded with new bathroom fixtures, and the sofabed was unlike any other we'd seen. It was so comfortable that our girls claimed it as theirs throughout our stay, instead of trading off with their brothers each night as we usually do. The room was spacious with plenty of space to set our suitcases and a nice armoire for coats and other stuff. The additional bar sink in the hallway, across from the bathroom, was an added convenience.

Breakfast was excellent, with made-to-order eggs and pancakes/french toast/etc. available each day. The breakfast seating area is large, though our group of six usually had to split up into two tables. The nightly manager's reception consists of complimentary beer/wine/sangria/soft drinks and popcorn, chips, crackers and cheese, and veggies and dip. One disappointment was attempting to order from the happy hour menu in the reception area and being told that the two items we wanted (of the six listed on the menu) are no longer available.

The King Street Metro station is very conveniently located across the street, and though our room faced the station, we heard very few trains (maybe just when Amtrak came through?). The King Street free trolley also picks up in this area. We walked next door to Joe Theismann's for supper one night and had very good food there.

As others have mentioned, the parking garage is very tight. You'll be ok with a minivan, but maneuvering a Suburban or pickup truck would be a definite challenge.

Be sure to check out the various packages available--you might find a better price with a package that includes Internet and/or parking than paying for these things a la cart. We chose the premium package that included free snacks from a case in the hallway, accessible via a code provided at checkin, and also free parking and Internet access.

At about $150 a night for this package, I thought it to be very fairly priced for the amenities and convenience of being right next to the Metro station and not having to worry about parking downtown or catching a shuttle to a station. It took 25-30 minutes to get to the main sites via Metro train.

The rooms are being re-done through January 2014; they are working from the top (8th floor) down and were on the 7th floor at the end of November. Posted signs say noise will only be made during daytime hours.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to families of five or six people visiting Washington, D.C.

Room Tip: 8th floor "premium" rooms have access to a snack station and are quiet due to being on the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you for your extensive review of our hotel. I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay and that you will recommend us to your friends and family. I appreciate your patronage and look forward to your return. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Korean first
Philipsburg, St. Maarten-St. Martin
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Stayed at the Embassy Suites for 4 days. Our room was located on the side of the metro and the view of the George Washington Masonic Memorial was absolutely stunning, specifically during sunset, sunrise and at night. I did not hear any noise coming from the metro (maybe because I am a heavy sleeper). The room itself was very comfortable and most importantly very clean! The restaurant Caprese was very good and served food till late night. Breakfast was always crowded but I do like the added touch of having my eggs or pancakes made the way I wanted it to with the ingredients that I wanted (instead of the regular buffet eggs). The evening Manager's reception was also a nice touch. The snacks are nothing to keel over for but at least there is free beer and wine.

The location is perfect. It is directly across of the easy-to-use metro, the free King Street trolley and multiple free shuttles to several other locations. It is a 20 minute walk to the end of King Street/Old Street. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who plans to stay in this area.

Room Tip: If you are a heavy sleeper as to not here the sound of the passing metro's than by all means cho...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Colinasita
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary “Made to order Breakfast” and the “Manager’s Reception” with free beer and wine and snacks. These services coupled with our spacious suites, in my opinion, offer an enticing advantage over other hotel venues in the area. Please come back and see us soon. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Honolulu, United States
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This hotel is an excellent place to enjoy both Alexandria and Washington DC. It is just across the street from the King Street Metro stop and all of the DC metro area is just a short train trip away! The warm and friendly staff can help you get to the areas on interest and their shuttle service will drop off and pick up within a 2 mile radius! Very helpful to visit areas just around the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you had a nice stay and I will look forward to your return. Best Regards...MaryAnne Russell
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I was so grateful for the free room they gave us for enduring all the construction noise. But the woman at the front desk was rude and made me feel guilty for getting the free room. Like it was my fault? She tried to blame me for taking the room even tho I asked for I quiet room! But thanks anyway. I do appreciate it from a company making billions off $11 water. What's writing off $200? Or having nice people at your front desk when things go wrong, and not blame the guest?

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for your review. I am concerned that you were not awarded the proper response from our Front Office Staff. All of our guests and staff understand that if we cannot make your stay a pleasant one and you are not 100% satisfied, then we will do what is necessary to “Make It Right” by you. I will forward this Trip Advisor to our Front Office Manager, so she can review proper procedure and thank you for bringing this to our attention. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Sun Prairie, United States
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Overall, the hotel is ok, but could be so much nicer with simple changes. Very strange setup. I couldn't find the front desk when I got there...what seems to be the main entrance is just a strange lobby with no one in it. The actually lobby is off tucked away in one corner. There are seemingly high traffic stairways to nowhere. Fitness area is very nice, but set up like a dungeon....why aren't there any windows between the pool and fitness area? Why aren't the treadmills hooked up to TV? Pool is also nice, but reminded me of a scary horror movie. Looked more like a hospital basement than a welcoming pool area. Rooms could be so much nicer with small touches. TV in the bedroom didn't work, toilet paper holder, had it worked, was a junky noisy piece of metal, corners of the rooms weren't vacuumed, key card reader only worked 1/10 swipes...small things like that.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you for writing this review. It appears that you may have entered from the Duke Street entrance and I understand your confusion, as this is opposite to our main entrance of Diagonal Road. We will soon be providing additional signage, which after entering on Duke Street will direct our hotel guests to the front desk and to the guest room elevators. I will forward the information about our fitness area and your room issues to the department managers for review and thank you for these comments. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel is recently renovated and my guess is most of the rooms are great. My room, 151, is a very nice cellblock. No windows, no exterior light. I am in this room after being told (a) we have no room for you in spite of your reservation, and then (b) we have a room for you, but it is a smoking room, and then (c) OK, we have a nonsmoking room for you . . . but it is a cell. Why do front desk people feel a need to lie like that? Reminiscent of the Seinfeld episode where the car rental person doesn't seem to understand the meaning of "reservation." What I am trying to figure out if this is something this guy was actually trained by Hilton to do.

Room Tip: Ask for a "room with a view." Don't accept room 151.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate the type of room you reserved. Although we strive to accommodate our guests with exact reservations, at times we do not have the same availability due to guests extending their stays with us. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again. Best Regards...MaryAnne Russell General Manager
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Wonderful staff to work with during our event. Various hotel staff checked in with us throughout the day to ask how everything was going & if we needed anything. Room were spacious and clean. Food was to excellent with wide range of choices. Polite. Friendly. Knowledgeable.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

wasot_gm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that your event was a success and that our hotel was your chosen venue. We hope to be able to offer you the same hospitality and accommodation next time you visit. Best Regards…MaryAnne Russell General Manager