“Outstanding Expreience”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The best staff we have dealt with at any Embassy Suite. The Manager was outstanding and extremely helpful. The location is great. The rooms are nicely appointed. The complimentary reception and breakfast were nicely done. Everyone was so friendly. Just a great experience.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
1  Thank Steven K
MaryAnne_Russell_GM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

"...the best staff..." is how we hope that every guest feels about the service we provide. I can't thank you enough for sharing such kind words on your most recent visit with us. Your comment of "Just a great experience." is such a compliment to all we strive to offer. I speak for the entire staff when I say we sincerely hope to earn your loyalty for your next visit to the area. Thank You.

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a wonderful property with a great location. Wanted a hotel near DC and for easy access to Mt Vernon. This really fit the bill. The hotel is clean, classy, comfortable, and easy to get to. The atrium has a great restaurant with very good food. We really liked this hotel. Only negative; Embassy Suites has got to learn that at their prices they need to offer guests free access to internet. Paying for this service in a hotel chain at the level of ES, is ridiculous

Room Tip: ask for a room on the street side of hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank T D

I am delighted to hear that your recent stay with us was great on so many levels. From room accommodations to our dining at our Caprese Mediterranean grill we strive for an atmosphere of comfortable and classy accommodations. I'm hoping that our staff was able to provide you with access to our free Wi-Fi in public areas and our HHonors network for in-suite usage. I appreciate the feedback and will continue to look at ways of improving the guest experience. Thank You.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here on the last leg of our holiday having had 5 nights in NYC we drove down to Alexandria for 4 nights. On arrival the check in was great. I am a Hilton Honors member and had upgraded our room for the duration using my points. This gave us access to the snack bar facility mainly and a slightly bigger room.

The room as always was very good. I booked it because I love the fact you get a great size room, bathroom and a separate lounge area with sofa, TV dining table and small kitchen area which is perfect when your spending 8 hours of the day sightseeing and you just want to flop rather than head out for dinner.

The hotel location was fantastic, directly opposite the metro and the town was very pretty with lots of boutique style shops, café and restaurants.

They also have a managers welcome reception nightly where you receive complimentary drinks for a few hours. We popped down one evening. Don't expect high quality wine because you will be disappointed, but if you don't mind a blossom hill style or that around the £5.00 a bottle type, it wasn't bad and after a day in the museums and about 10 miles of walking, we were not about to complain! :-)

Our only actual issue with the hotel was the fact that the vending machines for the snacks either didn't work or were empty. We complained continuously because this was pretty much what we paid for with the room upgrade and while we are only talking soft drinks and snacks, it was becoming an issue. On one occasion we were issued with 3 bottles of water from reception having ben told that was all they could give us, then 2 days later when we complained we were told we could have received cans of coke from reception. We were starting to feel like right idiots because reception would call us to say that the machines had been restocked, we would leave the room, head up to the floor only to find it now not working! This was happening 6-7 times a day to the point we gave up and just went to the shops for snacks and drinks.

I would go back if I was ever visiting DC again but I wouldn't upgrade my room because I feel I wasted 25000 + points in doing so.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sargent0

Thank You valued Hilton Honors member for sharing your feedback about some key amenities your reward status offered you and stay with us. While there were highs it sounds like there were a few lows as well. I apologize that we seem to simply could not get the 8th floor amenity in exact working condition during your stay. Sometimes we have to adjust how we manage this amenity but that should never interfere with our guests' satisfaction. We have discussed a few new ways to improve upon the Premium Upgrade simply based on your feedback. I would love to discuss your recent stay in more detail and ask for you to please reach out to me when time permits. We strive to earn every guests’ loyalty and while you said you would return I would appreciate the opportunity to demonstrate our revamped premium room upgrade experience. I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back. Thank You.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a great location and the employees are very responsive. It appears that the only issue is the management. An example is their breakfast which is a disaster because they are overloaded. Instead of investing in a new cook station, management just puts up signs saying when it's busy. They wouldn't like it if customers just paid less all of a sudden. If you are looking for a good location near a metro and close to old town this is it. But don't plan on breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank postrawb

Thank you for your candid feedback about your recent stay with us. We utilize this feedback to improve the guest experience. Actually, the signs that highlight higher traffic times at breakfast came from this kind of feedback. We like to use any and all resources to give our guests the power to manage their stay on their schedule. Thank You.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Embassy Suites does it again! A classic hotel that offers extras. I normally pack my cleaning supplies and my blanket. But, I knew I would need those items when checking into Embassy Suites. Professional reception and very fast check in as always. The lobby was beautiful and very peaceful for relaxing. The room was clean and very spacious. We enjoyed sitting in the living room watching tv as if we were home. We could visit our relatives who were staying in the hotel without sitting on their beds or invading their privacy. There is much to be said for the space of the suites. The breakfast was excellent in the morning. The cooked to order omlettes are still excellent. There are so many choices that everyone can find something to keep them full all morning. The managers reception in the evening was great as well. They had two draft beers, 5 wines and plenty of softdrinks that were complimentary. You could also purchase mixed drinks and other draft beers. I will definitely come back here to stay. We also used the FREE King St. trolley that picked us up directly across from the hotel and that took us to the restaurant of our choice and dropped us back off. It's a great location to park your car and walk or take the trolley. Whole Foods is directly across from the hotel too.

The only issue can be the parking lot. If you can't see well, you will smack a wall with your car. The spaces were very tight in between concrete walls. So, just know how to drive and that's not a problem either.

Room Tip: I thought every room was good.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank traveltime05

Thank You for sharing your recent experience with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm delighted to hear that the use of a two-room suite really allowed you to spend quality time with family and relax. We always strive to provide a comfortable environment that provides something for everyone.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed here for three nights. It was a very nice place to stay, the staff was very attentive and it seemed like a very convenient place to stay if visiting DC - the metro is literally across the street - very convenient. The breakfast and evening social hours were fantastic. The parking garage is not too bad to deal with - a little confusing to figure out and the spots are VERY, VERY tight...The room was comfortable and extremely quiet even though we were on the 2nd floor across from Metro and directly beside elevator. The rooms did seem stuffy - we had our ac turned the whole way down to 65 and it was still hot. They bathrooms don't have any fans which I think is why it seemed so humid. We opted for the $15 premium access - which meant that we had to go to the 8th floor for soda/snacks. When we got there they were out of everything we wanted - they said we could go to the front desk for anything we wanted, but all in all it seemed like a hassle for a few snacks and soda/water, so we decided not to get the premium service - just our choice. We did eat at the restaurant one evening late - around 9:30 and ordered chicken tenders/sandwiches and it took forever to get our meals and when we did they were cold. Other than that, a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Our room was fairly quiet, but I always travel with a fan to block noise. If noise is of a concern...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

I appreciate you taking the time to share with us your recent experience. While overall you were "comfortable" we strive for our guests to truly relax and enjoy their time with us. While your time was not 100% enjoyable you have give us some valuable feedback to ensure we correct our misgivings and not lose sight of all the details that matter: great accommodations, premium amenities and guests who are satisfied with their stay. Please reach out to me on your return visit to Alexandria Old Town so I can personally ensure you a most gracious return and much more pleasurable experience. Thank You.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

July 31 2014-August 3rd.
The hotel was well appointed in Old Alexandria. Whole foods is literally a 1 minute walk from the hotel. The metro is literally across the street which is great. Parking and check in were terrible. The hotel is on a main road and was very busy on Thursday afternoon. Some cars were partially in the street attempting to enter through the hotel lobby. No one was there to assist with luggage or direct traffic. The parking is located underneath the hotel. The area is well lit, however the parking is shared with a business complex. Be sure to park in the correct spot. Many spots were tight.
Managers reception did not have a large enough area to accommodate all who were at the hotel. The small bar area was dirty, glasses weren't cleaned well and the floor was sticky. Unfortunately for the bartender it was just her serving the drinks. She did her best. 99% of the staff at breakfast were very nice. The omelets were the worst I've had at any Embassy Suites. I did read another review that stated "It tasted like the ingredients were from a can." This is very true. The front desk staff were OK, if you asked a question you felt like a burden. The rooms could have been cleaner. The hot tub fit 4 people. The gym was very nice and spacious. The staff continued to pour chemicals in the pool over and over again without checking. My husband noticed a signed and initialed paper that verified the pool was inspected. The date and time was for when the kids were in the pool. So this was not true. All in all if you are not concerned with breakfast, hospitality, and the hot tub this hotel will be OK. The experience was not horrible, it's just that we will not be staying here again.
FYI- Do not add the extra $15 a night for the 8th floor. My friend did, it was two vending machines with chips, candies and soda.

2  Thank Kenya V

It sounds like we did not meet OR exceed your expectations with your recent stay and for that I do apologize. We have a "Make It Right" pledge that we share with each and every guest and I sincerely hope that at any time if there was anything we could have done to make your stay much more enjoyable that you brought it to the attention of any member of our staff. I understand this was a very busy time for your stay with a very large convention in town. I can only hope your experience would have been as great as others who have stayed with us during your stay as well as in the past. We appreciate your feedback and as I share it with my leadership team here at the property we will look for ways to definitely improve. Should you return to the area for another visit I encourage you to share with us any and all ways we can show you the best of what we are made of. Thank You.