“Great location and great hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town
Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
virginia beach, United States
“Great location and great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I ordered an in room meal and it was was very good, and fresh. While the temperature was a little hard to get used too, with two rooms, and one thermostat, it worked out once I under it over night. The equipment fitness center was in good shape with all pieces working. The hotel room was roomy and good for a client meeting while I stayed.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

MaryAnne_Russell_GM, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Our Caprese Mediterranean Grill enjoys preparing a variety of great tasting dishes for our guests’ in-suite, at the bar and for our restaurant patrons as well. I look forward to sharing your review of a great meal with the food and beverage staff. I am pleased to hear that you stay was so enjoyable on a business and leisure level. We look forward to your return. Thank You.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Korean first
Auburn, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was at this hotel for just one night ahead of a business meeting in Washington, DC. I travel to the DC area a lot and prefer to stay outside of DC proper and take Metro because of high DC hotel prices - and I love the Old Town Alexandria area. This property has all of the usual amenities you encounter at an Embassy Suites - two-room suites, large atrium, cook-to-order breakfast, and nightly manager's reception. Being the summer time, it was nearly fully booked with lots of families enjoying a vacation in the DC area. As a result, it can get pretty crowded and finding spots to sit in the breakfast/bar area can be challenging. My room was very good - what I come to expect from an Embassy Suites. Being on the 5th floor, however, meant my view was of the lower rooftop of the hotel! This hotel is very conveniently located about a 2 minute walk from the King Street Metro stop. This location is also where the free Old Town / King Street trolley departs from. However, Old Town is not large and I always enjoy strolling down King Street. Overall, a really good experience here.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor room if you want a view. The trade off is likely longer waits for elevators...
1 Thank Bama_world_traveler
Summer, and as you so kindly pointed out our location, tend to be quite a mix for large gatherings of families, business clients and many of our loyal repeat guests. It is a busy time of year. I'm pleased to hear that our property and the surrounding Old Town area is tops on your list of places you enjoy. Please, return again soon. Maybe we can get you an even better view that just the 5th floor! Thank You.
Lake Charles,La
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel truly treats its guest like VIP and when they make reservations for you at the local restaurant be sure to be expected to be treated like VIP's. The front desk made reservations for us at the Charter House and not only did the hotel van bring us and drop us off but was entertaining during the trip. The food was great the room the hotel had chose for us in the restaurant overlooked the river and had the best view. I am quite pleased with the stay and the service offered by Embassy Suites and would definitely stay there again in the future.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for such a kind compliment on the service you received from our front desk staff. We enjoy treating every guest like a VIP. From restaurant recommendations, shuttle services and over all guest satisfaction, we aim to please! We thank you for allowing us to win your loyalty and hope to see you on future travel to the area. Thank You.
Williamstown, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The best staff we have dealt with at any Embassy Suite. The Manager was outstanding and extremely helpful. The location is great. The rooms are nicely appointed. The complimentary reception and breakfast were nicely done. Everyone was so friendly. Just a great experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Steven K
"...the best staff..." is how we hope that every guest feels about the service we provide. I can't thank you enough for sharing such kind words on your most recent visit with us. Your comment of "Just a great experience." is such a compliment to all we strive to offer. I speak for the entire staff when I say we sincerely hope to earn your loyalty for your next visit to the area. Thank You.
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a wonderful property with a great location. Wanted a hotel near DC and for easy access to Mt Vernon. This really fit the bill. The hotel is clean, classy, comfortable, and easy to get to. The atrium has a great restaurant with very good food. We really liked this hotel. Only negative; Embassy Suites has got to learn that at their prices they need to offer guests free access to internet. Paying for this service in a hotel chain at the level of ES, is ridiculous

Room Tip: ask for a room on the street side of hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank T D
I am delighted to hear that your recent stay with us was great on so many levels. From room accommodations to our dining at our Caprese Mediterranean grill we strive for an atmosphere of comfortable and classy accommodations. I'm hoping that our staff was able to provide you with access to our free Wi-Fi in public areas and our HHonors network for in-suite usage. I appreciate the feedback and will continue to look at ways of improving the guest experience. Thank You.
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here on the last leg of our holiday having had 5 nights in NYC we drove down to Alexandria for 4 nights. On arrival the check in was great. I am a Hilton Honors member and had upgraded our room for the duration using my points. This gave us access to the snack bar facility mainly and a slightly bigger room.

The room as always was very good. I booked it because I love the fact you get a great size room, bathroom and a separate lounge area with sofa, TV dining table and small kitchen area which is perfect when your spending 8 hours of the day sightseeing and you just want to flop rather than head out for dinner.

The hotel location was fantastic, directly opposite the metro and the town was very pretty with lots of boutique style shops, café and restaurants.

They also have a managers welcome reception nightly where you receive complimentary drinks for a few hours. We popped down one evening. Don't expect high quality wine because you will be disappointed, but if you don't mind a blossom hill style or that around the £5.00 a bottle type, it wasn't bad and after a day in the museums and about 10 miles of walking, we were not about to complain! :-)

Our only actual issue with the hotel was the fact that the vending machines for the snacks either didn't work or were empty. We complained continuously because this was pretty much what we paid for with the room upgrade and while we are only talking soft drinks and snacks, it was becoming an issue. On one occasion we were issued with 3 bottles of water from reception having ben told that was all they could give us, then 2 days later when we complained we were told we could have received cans of coke from reception. We were starting to feel like right idiots because reception would call us to say that the machines had been restocked, we would leave the room, head up to the floor only to find it now not working! This was happening 6-7 times a day to the point we gave up and just went to the shops for snacks and drinks.

I would go back if I was ever visiting DC again but I wouldn't upgrade my room because I feel I wasted 25000 + points in doing so.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sargent0
Thank You valued Hilton Honors member for sharing your feedback about some key amenities your reward status offered you and stay with us. While there were highs it sounds like there were a few lows as well. I apologize that we seem to simply could not get the 8th floor amenity in exact working condition during your stay. Sometimes we have to adjust how we manage this amenity but that should never interfere with our guests' satisfaction. We have discussed a few new ways to improve upon the Premium Upgrade simply based on your feedback. I would love to discuss your recent stay in more detail and ask for you to please reach out to me when time permits. We strive to earn every guests’ loyalty and while you said you would return I would appreciate the opportunity to demonstrate our revamped premium room upgrade experience. I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back. Thank You.
Lees Summit, Mo
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,294 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a great location and the employees are very responsive. It appears that the only issue is the management. An example is their breakfast which is a disaster because they are overloaded. Instead of investing in a new cook station, management just puts up signs saying when it's busy. They wouldn't like it if customers just paid less all of a sudden. If you are looking for a good location near a metro and close to old town this is it. But don't plan on breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank postrawb
Thank you for your candid feedback about your recent stay with us. We utilize this feedback to improve the guest experience. Actually, the signs that highlight higher traffic times at breakfast came from this kind of feedback. We like to use any and all resources to give our guests the power to manage their stay on their schedule. Thank You.