“Great value,great location”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Alexandria in itself is worth the visit and the hotel just made it perfect. I walked in without a reservation and got a beautiful big room with big double bed and (comfortable) sofa bed for our son for 129$:). On Thursday evening there was a complimentary social event: free drinks (wine or beer, 2 per adult) and nachos, salad bar. Great.
Hot breakfast was more than sufficient as it was also complimentary:eggs , bacon, porridge, bagels,waffles, fresh fruit and yoghurt, delicious coffee; perfect despite that the hotel was fuly booked
The weather was so good that we did not even get the occasion to use the pool or the shuttle.
Staff were extremely helpful; at breakfast we were not allowed to clean the tables ourselves, the staff was so adequate and friendly, one lady litterally said ' You are new guest, welcome!'....

2  Thank Jan T
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Came with my parents, husband, and son for a week long stay in a two bedroom suite. The suite was spacious, had a full kitchen, and plenty of room for the five of us. Hotel is in pretty close walking distance to the Metro station, but they have a shuttle that will take you there, which we used almost every day because we are lazy like that. We never waited more than 10 minutes for it in either direction. Excellent. They will also shuttle you down to the waterfront on King street.

They have a daily grocery shopping service as well, which is fantastic when you don't have a car. One morning, we dropped off our list with our order of a case of Blue Moon and an orange. We came back and opened the fridge and it wasn't there. I called the front desk and they practically fell over themselves trying to figure out where the ball was dropped. Come to find out they didn't drop the ball at all, it was in the door of the fridge and we were just idiots and didn't see it. The front desk staff kept the smile on their face even when we admitted our mistake.

The only cons I can come up with are the following:
*The dinner they advertise Monday - Thursday is a little lacking. It's more like munchies. But it's free and we ate the hell out of it until we were full, so why am I complaining?

*The two bedroom suites only have queen size beds. Throw some kings in there and the room would have been perfect.

*The hotel was overrun with obnoxious 8th graders, which is not the hotel's fault, obviously. My advice is to avoid DC altogether within the months of March/April if you find unattended 13 year olds even the slightest bit annoying.

Finally, the biggest "pro" of them all...
On the 4th night of our trip, my mother got extremely ill and we had to take her to the emergency room. She remained in the hospital for the remainder of our stay. The staff of this hotel could not have been more helpful, more kind, or more understanding. They actually cared, and helped us as much as they possibly could. Customer service in general is really lacking these days, and to have these people who don't even know us go out of their way to help us during such a stressful time was unbelievable. I cannot thank them enough for their kindness.

Love this hotel, and if we ever come back, I will stay here again and not even look at other options. You should all do the same.

4  Thank amybbb73
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Just a short walk from the King Street Metro station, this hotel is well located. There is a Whole Foods Market a block away and conveniently along the walk to the Metro station. There are several restaurants within a short walk and there are numerous dining and shopping options all up and down nearby King Street. A free shuttle runs periodically if you don’t want to walk the mile or so to the Potomac River area. This is a very large hotel with eight stories of rooms. I stayed for 10 days and saw mostly business travelers on the weekdays and more families on the weekends. The morning breakfast spread is expansive with waffle makers, fresh fruit, cereals, bagels, scrambled eggs and more. On Monday through Thursday nights, there’s a nightly manager’s reception that includes bottled beer and wine (two drink limit, you provide your room number upon ordering), salad and a rotating offering of items such as make your own tacos and lasagna – enough food to satisfy for dinner if you don’t want to wander out of the hotel. There's ample seating and it never felt crowded. There’s free Wi Fi throughout the property. An access code was provided at check in and has to be re-entered every 24 hours. There’s a separate log in for the lobby and dining area and I had to re-enter the access code when I returned to the room. The second floor includes a work out room, indoor pool and laundry room. Even though the hotel was busy, I didn’t have to wait for either a washer or dryer on laundry day. My room included a kitchen with a large refrigerator, desk, king bed, couch, a chair and a large flat screen TV. The only quibble I had during my entire stay was that none of the channels were available in high definition. Overall though, a very highly recommended property.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank H0lidayr0ad
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here recently for four nights while I was in town on business (in National Harbor), and she wanted to do some sightseeing in DC. Overall, we were very happy with our stay. The staff here are all very friendly and go out of their way to be helpful - which I almost always find is a good indicator of hotel quality (well-managed staff = well-run hotel!).

Rooms were clean and spacious, breakfast was different every morning (eggs, ham, sausage, potatoes, waffles, etc.) and there is a nice "social" M-Th nights with free food and drinks. There is a pool at the hotel, but it is on the small side...not a big deal at all for us, since we weren't really in town to swim!

There is an onsite parking garage at the hotel, which is nice, but be forewarned - you'll have trouble getting a big car or truck in there. Bring a midsize or smaller if you can.

The hotel is also not too far from the metro - not "next to the Metro" as I have seen advertised, but it is only about a 3-block walk to get to the King Street station, and the whole route is through a pretty nice neighborhood.

Overall, we were very impressed and would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JDHLAGRK
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Amazing free breakfast, friendly staff, great location- short walk to metro.
Mon-Thursday free dinner with drinks!
Gave the kids teddy bears- just steps from whole foods- this place is fantastic!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 17 April 2012

First of all, the place is great! Very clean, spacious, comfortable, accommodations. The staff is friendly, caring, and professional. We recently stayed there for a relative's wedding. The wedding venue was in Maryland, about 15 minutes away with no public transportation. We were running behind and at the last minute the hotel's general manager, Mike Wilson, offered to drive us to the event in his personal car! I have never been treated with such sincere friendliness and hospitality anywhere in the world! This gesture was a lifesaver and saved the day. Thank you again, Mike, for being such a good guy. Your karma is definitely happening.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

This hotel has so much going for it: courteous and professional staff; excellent location; clean rooms; indoor pool; nice breakfast; complementary light evening meals; and great proximity to old town and the Metro. The big negative here was that, in our room, you could hear the elevator machinery going all night.

We had five people in a 2 bedroom unit. We use these units frequently at Residence Inns as they are perfect for us. When they first assigned us to room 505 I asked for a different room because 505 was right next to a powerful fan that cooled the hallway. They then assigned us to room 715. All was well until we went to sleep. All night long, you could hear the winding of the elevator motor and the clicking and clacking when it came to rest. This went on all night and I got very little sleep. My wife is a very heavy sleeper and was also awakened by the noise.

The next day I asked if we could have a quieter room, and they assigned us back to room 505. Although it was somewhat quieter at night, we could still hear the elevators. I did adapt to it after a couple of nights but it did disturb my wife's sleep periodically. This hotel appears to be newer and I'm surprised that the insulation was not better. My advice? Ask for a room on the perimeter of the building where you'll be on the opposite side of the hall from the elevator shaft.

Although the sleep situation was a negative, I have to say that overall we enjoyed our 7 nights here. It's any easy walk to old town and the King Street Metro. The staff is very courteous and helpful, and surprisingly, they had a light evening meal on Monday through Thursday that easily served as our dinner for 2 of our nights. Our kids used the indoor pool and I did make use of the underground garage for 1 night ($18.00 charge).

Overall a good stay but light sleepers beware.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in which the door is on the wall that is opposite the elevator.