“Okay Hotel for One Night”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed for just one night, and the hotel was simply okay.

PROS:
-The rooms were spacious with a living room and kitchen in addition to the bedroom.
-The staff was pretty friendly and gave us directions.
-I was there the week of Thanksgiving so there was a free Thanksgiving dinner (which I did not attend), free breakfast, and the receptionist gave us a free snack bag.
-The location is in walking distance of shops & cafes - but then again, so is everything else in Alexandria.

CONS:
-No DVD Player
-The rooms and hallway smelled like dog
-We got a deal on our room, but otherwise the prices were not reasonable for what you got.
-Internet was slow and it took awhile to actually get connected

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jessica A
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Good Day Jessica A. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences from your stay here at our Hotel. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our spacious suites and friendly team, however, am dissapointed you could not join us for our annual Thanksgiving dinner. Marriott Residence Inn as a brand is pet friendly and we often times have many four-legged guests in our Hotel so I do apologize if you experienced any odor from that. Also, we are working with our technology team at Marriott in order to find a better solution for our guests.

Thank you so much again for taking the time to share your comments and we hope you will join us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

What keeps this review from being a 4 instead of a three are a couple of things. First the hot water. Tepid warm is not hot enough. Second, the cost of parking. $18.00 a day for an $83.00 a day room is too much. Third, breakfast. The only thing worse than hotel biscuits is no biscuits at all. And what is with TURKEY Canadian bacon. Let's not even talk about the eggs.

• Stayed: November 2013

Good Day Durard. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay here at our Hotel. We make our goal for each of our guests to have a pleasant comfortable stay. However, in this instance it sounds as though we fell short of meeting that goal for which I do apologize. I have engaged both our Engineering Team and F&B staff in order to address the concerns you had with both the hot water as well as our complementary morning breakfast.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences and please be assured we will be working to address these issues.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We just returned from an 11 day stay at your wonderful hotel. The friendly staff went above and beyond to help make our stay comfortable. Having the hotel shuttle for short trips to nearby eateries and the metro was invaluable for getting around in a wheelchair. We were very pleased with everything about our stay and hope to return next year.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Hi Cathy B. Thank you so very much for taking time to provide such great feedback from your recent stay here with us in Old-Town Alexandria. We are so pleased you were able to take advantage of our Hotel shuttle to explore the immediate area including all of the great local restaurants here in Old-Town. Also, I am glad that the Metro system made travel in and around Washington D.C. with the wheelchair access they provide.

Again, we are so happy you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed at the Residence Inn in Old Town Alexandria on Duke St. in late October. Our entire family met there to celebrate my husband's birthday. It was a really great experience! While the hotel was in great shape, clean, attractive...it was the staff that was the best part of the trip. Not only did they have a wonderful cake delivered for us to enjoy, they also went to great lengths to help us find a perfect restaurant, and provided transportation too.

From the double amenities in the room (I always need more shampoo!), to the candy in our sitting room....from the front desk staff, to the driver and the housekeepers...this is a hotel you will want to return to whenever you are in Alexandria.

Bravo, Mike Wilson, Manager. You have a great team and property.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Judy Y

Good Day Judy Y. Thank you so much for the feedback from your recent getaway here at our Hotel. It sounds like the team here at the Hotel helped to make your Husband's Birthday celebration even more memorable. I trust that the cake was delicious and that our Front Desk staff certainly pointed you in the direction of a wonderful restaurant at which to celebrate.

We certainly hope that you will join us again soon for another Birthday celebration or perhaps just to further explore the delightful Old-Town area.

Thank you so much again for your comments.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I've never stayed in a more accommodating hotel. And I've never posted an online review, but these guys deserve it.

Hotel is clean, and the rooms are more than fine. The free breakfast was as expected at a Residence with plenty of options. We went with our four kids for a long weekend, and all the accommodations and food were above average.

Where this hotel stood out was in the staff, and how actively concerned they all were with our experience. Our original rooms weren't as large as I expected (my fault, probably), and they switched us quickly to different rooms at the same rate. They adjusted a points charge in my favor without my asking. This all happened at 1 AM. On the last day, we decided to leave early (assuming we'd have to pay for the final night, as per the rules), and they didn't charge us for the final night.

In passing, one of the staff overheard us talking about my daughter's 8th birthday (which occurred during our stay). The next day we found a card in our room signed by all the staff as well as a personalized birthday cake with my daughter's name on top in our in-room fridge. We actually almost missed the cake, because a) who would think a hotel would do that; and b) we hadn't been using the fridge. But we caught it just before checking out, and my daughter was unbelievably surprised.

That was after she received several "happy birthdays" from random staff throughout the weekend.

Last thing -- our room rate was very, very reasonable (under $100, I believe, per night). That's what made the service level so eye-opening. Felt like we were in the Ritz or paying a rack rate at a downtown 5-star.

We had a great family trip to DC, and this hotel was our homebase for three great nights and mornings (days were in the district). The 15-20 minute metro ride was easy (and fun). Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Good Day Tim S. Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful story from your stay. Our team here makes every effort to go above and beyond for each of our guests to ensure they have a memorable stay and it sounds like they exceeded all of your expectations. I am so glad to hear your daughter enjoyed the special surprise Birthday cake and I remember signing the card personally before our Front Office team ensured it got to the room along with the cake.

We are so glad you and your family found our Hotel to be a great fit for your visit to DC and while you were here you felt that we provided all of you with the service you would expect from Marriott.

Hopefully we will see you again soon during your next trip to Washington D.C.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I recently visited the Residence Inn to join my family that live around the DC area to celebrate my 70th birthday. We chose the Residence Inn for the access to the Metro for my three children that live around DC and for the nearness to Washington National Airport as our oldest son and his family were flying in from WI. We had a great weekend and the hotel staff were fabulous. Our rooms were spacious and clean, the staff helped us select an excellent restaurant for my birthday dinner, and the staff actually provided a birthday cake for me. The breakfast served was very good also. Overall the hotel staff made it a great weekend for me and my family.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Hello jryoakum. Thank you so much for taking the time to share some of your experiences from your recent stay with us. It sounds like you were able to have a great Birthday celebration with your family members who live in the immediate DC area. Also, it looks like our team was able to work in a little Marriott magic by ensuring your Birthday was extra special with a delicious cake.

Thank you again for your kind words and I will be sure to share them with our team. We hope that you will join us again soon during your next trip to Alexandria.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary with a last minute trip to Old Town Alexandria. The front desk staff were extremely helpful. The hotel staff also surprised us with an acknowledgement of our anniversary, how sweet. We love the location of this hotel and the friendliness of the staff, we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Hi Rose58277. We are so thankful that you and your Husband chose our Hotel to celebrate such a wonderful milestone in your lives. We always pride ourselves in finding little ways to give our guests who may be celebrating a special occassion a more memorable stay and it sounds like we were successful. The team and I here at the Hotel hope that you both had an enjoyable weekend here in Old-Town and hope that you will join us again to celebrate soon.