“great location excellent staff”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Charlottesville, Virginia
“great location excellent staff”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The staff was very attentive and helpful with metro accessing to many locations in DC a short 20 minute metro ride. . The breakfast provided was excellent. Eggs, meat, potato, fruit, waffles and toppings, juice, coffee, even soda was available. Our room had a mini kitchen which was stocked with all needed dishes and utensil and very roomy. . A Whole Foods is just a short walk away for all your food needs if you decided to cook in one evening. Metro is 2 blocks away and old town a good walk or can take the city free trolley, we chose to walk and shop our way to the water front. .We defiantly will stay her again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank annette t

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Traveling with young children made staying in Old Town a convenient place to stay being able to access the sights (via Metro, boat, and car) all from one location, and they provide a shuttle to local stops. Very nice place, the rooms facing the street side were nicer (and bigger) since you can see the area, verses inward facing rooms looking at the parking area. The Staff is very accommodating and breakfast and evening reception just right. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a room that faces the city.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Staunton, Virginia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I've stayed at Residence Inn a few times and this hotel did not disappoint. The hotel was very clean with spacious rooms and a very comfortable bed. The lobby was nice. (although they were out of coffee at 10:00 a.m.??) Also, this hotel offers parking for $18/day that is VERY secure.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the stairs. Pretty noisy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gamesray
Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We've stayed here 3 times over the past few years, for a combination of DC sightseeing and family visits. It's in a great location: a 5-minute walk in one direction takes you to the vibrant and historic Old Town area, and 5 minutes in the other direction is the King Street Metro (from which it is 2 stops/10 minutes to DCA airport and just a few more stops to downtown DC).

Whole Foods is also just down the street, which is especially convenient since the rooms have kitchenettes.

The whole set-up really is ideal for people with small kids: our 1-bedroom suite had a separate bedroom and living/dining room, so that we adults could stay up later without disturbing them, and the kitchen came in handy for putting together light meals and snacks. An extra dining chair or two would be welcome, though.

On this trip, check-in was quick and efficient and the desk clerk gave each of our kids a teddy bear as a welcome gift. They loved them and I was impressed at this thoughtful gesture. The staff were friendly throughout our stay and later lent us scissors and tape so that my wife could wrap a gift.

Now a few quibbles: the mattress pad provided for the sofabed did not fit (it was for a twin bed, not a full/double) so we had to wait for someone to bring a replacement. The front desk seemed to be aware that this is a common issue; why not just provide the right size in the first place?

Also, some of the furniture is starting to show some wear and tear, and one side of the bed was noticeably softer than the other.

We also had trouble getting enough towels for all of us -- we only received 3, which was fine for starters, but we never received more, even after I left a note for housekeeping requesting 4 fresh towels.

The pool is only open from something like 4-9 PM on weekdays, and doesn't open till 10 AM on weekends, which seems a little limited. We enjoyed the pool but the kids were disappointed that we didn't have more opportunities to swim.

None of these things ruined our stay, but it caused a little bit of frustration and wasn't quite in keeping with what we'd experienced before at this hotel.

The breakfast buffet is included in the rate, which is a great bonus even if it's a little crowded and not exactly fine dining. There are some nice breakfast places in Old Town if you grow weary of cafeteria-style scrambled eggs.

All in all, the layout and location of this place works very well for us when we are in the area and the rates are usually quite competitive, so it's a good overall value despite a few small issues. I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Massachusetts_Member
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel is in a fine spot near a Metro station. The surrounding neighborhood feels safe and secure, but is oddly sterile and empty.

The service in the hotel was okay. I was checked in by an employee with an "in training" badge on. He was fine. His supervising employee seemed pretty gruff and cranky, though.

Upon check-in, you're required to read and sign a piece of paper that says the hotel has a zero-tolerance policy for parties. Okay, no problem for us. But the card went on to say something like "consider this your first warning" and "you'll be kicked out on the first violation." This whole little manifesto gave me a really bad impression of the place before I even got past the check-in counter (I was thinking "what sort of hotel did I just book?!") plus it came across like a pre-emptive schoolyard scolding. I've never seen such a thing in all my life.

The 1-bedroom room we stayed in was nice enough. The bathroom door didn't lock and some of the furniture was visibly worn. Overall it was fine, and I thought it was reasonable for the price paid.

The included breakfast was nice — except for the scrambled eggs (which I almost never like anyway unless I make them myself). But it was nice to have a good spread laid out before we started the day.

I wouldn't go out of my way to book this place again, but if you need to do something in the immediate area, it's not a bad choice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Matthew C
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Good Day MDCathell. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay here in Old-Town Alexandria. Our goal here is to ensure we make every effort to provide our guests a clean, comfortable stay. Over weekend nights, we distribute a "no party" policy in order to ensure that we are able to provide each and every one of our guests a comfortable, quiet stay and also allow us to address those who are disruptive and interfere with others having a enjoyable stay. I apologize if the verbatim on the policy itself comes across harsh and I will certainly look into adjusting the wording to be sure the parameters are explained in a more professional manner. Again, I apologize for this inconvenience and hope that you will give us another try during your next trip to Alexandria.

Fremont, California
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just recently stayed at this hotel for conference in Alexandria. Good location, close to metro to go into DC and only 15 minute walk to conference in Westin hotel. Walked in the neighborhood and got lost, people were very friendly and helped me get back to the hotel. Room is comfortable and liked that it was close to Whole Foods and had kitchen utensils and cooking equipment so you could cook if you wanted to, Found that the breakfast offered by hotel was cold and just ok. I would stay here again if I were going to visit and site see in DC. Metro comes by every 19 minutes to go into DC. Also stops at Petagon City where there is shopping mall. Overall my experience has been good at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Good Day Janet E. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay here with us in Alexandria. We are happy to hear that our Hotel's location in Alexandria and proximity to Washington DC helped make your experience all the more enjoyable. Also, I am glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of the Whole Foods market just a block and a half from the Hotel.

I do want to apologize that the Hotels complementary breakfast failed to meet your needs and did not assist in making the stay more memorable from a positive standpoint.

I thank you again for taking the time to provide your comments and hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in Alexandria.

Oakland
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I will start out with a positive comment as it goes down hill from there. The location of this hotel was great being close to Old Town and only a couple blocks from the King Street Metro and most of the staff was great! I really appreciate the shuttle driver taking us to Old Town Proper even though we were cutting it close to the 8:30 cut off time (which I did think was a bit early to cut off shuttle service) That being said I was really let down with the rest of the stay. Over the years I know that not every room looks like it does in the pictures but this was a bit more than the average "difference". For what we paid a night I would have been better off just getting a normal hotel room without the kitchen as this room was tiny! It seemed like they crammed everything that was promised into this awkward, tiny space. When we unfolded the sleeper sofa my husband couldn't even get out of our bed from his side as the bottom of the sleeper sofa was touching our bed. The whole room was like this and our view was looking into the rooms across the lower roof of the hotel. I don't know if this is typical for a room or if it was because we were down a side hall but avoid Room 621 if staying here!!
The other let down was the pool. I searched for awhile trying to find a nice hotel, nice location with an indoor pool which is VERY important to us as getting to go swimming is the highlight of a getaway for my kids. We even left home an hour earlier to ensure that our kids get lots of swimming time. We checked into the hotel at 8:00pm and went straight to our room. The kids quickly changed clothes to get ready for what we thought would be a night of swimming fun however when we got to the pool at 8:25pm we found out about the 9pm closing time. I was shocked as I have never stayed anywhere that a pool closed earlier than 10pm. I tried to keep a positive attitude and told the kids to just make the best of the time they have. Well, 15 minutes later we were told the pool was getting ready to close. This was 20 minutes until 9:00pm. I told the lifeguard the closing time said 9:00 to which he walked away. 10 minutes later (this being 10 minutes until 9) the lifeguard told us we have to leave. I was really upset and my 6 year old son was heartbroken! I was so upset I just told them to get out of the pool as I knew I couldn't say anything to the lifeguard that my children should overhear.
I rated this hotel as average because there were some positives and I am trying not to be totally negative. Overall I was not pleased and I will not be staying here again. I also have some friends going to DC this summer and I have told them not to stay here. Definitely not worth the money!!!

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in Room 621!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ramona T
Good Day RamonaT. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay here at our Hotel in Old-Town Alexandria. We are glad that you found both our location and the staff here to help make the stay more enjoyable. I do want to apologize for the issues that were raised with our pool. We do utilize a third party lifeguard company to oversee and manage the pool safety operations. I have already contacted the Manager for this company as the issues mentioned regarding the lifeguard are completely unacceptable. Also, I apologize that our pools operating hours were not conducive to making your stay more enjoyable.

Regarding your suite, I can completely understand your frustration as the aformentioned suite in which you stayed is smaller and has a non-traditional layout. I apologize that we were not able to offer to move you to a larger suite in order to accomodate you and your guests over the weekend.

Again, I thank you for your feedback and raising your concerns so we can focus on addressing any issues we may have.