“Beginning to wear; great location”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at this Residence Inn for leisure over Memorial Day weekend. The main reason we chose this hotel was the location and value.

Pros:
-Breakfast. The best thing about this hotel is probably the free breakfast. There are a myriad of options both hot and cold. There is a large breakfast room. The staff are also very attentive, probably more attentive than those at hotels with a full service breakfast you pay for.
-Location. Probably the second best thing about this hotel is the location. It is an easy two-ish block walk to the Metro stop in one direction, and the same distance from the main strip in Alexandria.
-Free Wifi. Shame it has to be said, but it is a pro.
-Room Size. The room, even if just the studio, is plenty large for two people.

Cons:
-Check-in. We checked in at about 12 midnight. The night auditor was very rude. Offered no greeting, basically a "what do you want" mentality. Gave no information about breakfast, internet or the like. Basically just said: Name? ID & Credit Card? Your room is ___. Sign this (rudely hands over a slip of paper with an anti-partying policy). We had reserved two one-bedroom suites, but found two studios instead. We decided to just deal rather than try to go through him. This would have been averted if he would have offered a summary of the room.
-Furnishings. The bed is adequately comfortable. But the pictures of the rooms on the website or not likely to be found as an accurate portrayal of the room you will actually receive. The room is beginning to age and show wear. For example our rolling chair had a tear in the vinyl, the carpet had obvious traffic wear and the appliances must have been original.
-Parking. It is a little bit ridiculous to charge $22 per night to park. I understand that metropolitan cities have parking shortages...but not Alexandria...and not the edge of Old Town. During the week you may not have much choice, but on the weekend park at 1600 Duke Street. It is right next to the hotel and is free after 4pm Friday through the weekend & Free on government holidays. So our Friday night arrival/memorial day departure, we parked there and it saved $66.

Overall this hotel is a good selection to use as a base for Washington while still being in Old Town. We will probably not return unless it undergoes a rehab or we get a terrific rate.

Room Tip: Higher the floor the better I would say.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank telamm

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The staff was very attentive and helpful with metro accessing to many locations in DC a short 20 minute metro ride. . The breakfast provided was excellent. Eggs, meat, potato, fruit, waffles and toppings, juice, coffee, even soda was available. Our room had a mini kitchen which was stocked with all needed dishes and utensil and very roomy. . A Whole Foods is just a short walk away for all your food needs if you decided to cook in one evening. Metro is 2 blocks away and old town a good walk or can take the city free trolley, we chose to walk and shop our way to the water front. .We defiantly will stay her again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank annette t
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Traveling with young children made staying in Old Town a convenient place to stay being able to access the sights (via Metro, boat, and car) all from one location, and they provide a shuttle to local stops. Very nice place, the rooms facing the street side were nicer (and bigger) since you can see the area, verses inward facing rooms looking at the parking area. The Staff is very accommodating and breakfast and evening reception just right. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a room that faces the city.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I've stayed at Residence Inn a few times and this hotel did not disappoint. The hotel was very clean with spacious rooms and a very comfortable bed. The lobby was nice. (although they were out of coffee at 10:00 a.m.??) Also, this hotel offers parking for $18/day that is VERY secure.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the stairs. Pretty noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gamesray
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We've stayed here 3 times over the past few years, for a combination of DC sightseeing and family visits. It's in a great location: a 5-minute walk in one direction takes you to the vibrant and historic Old Town area, and 5 minutes in the other direction is the King Street Metro (from which it is 2 stops/10 minutes to DCA airport and just a few more stops to downtown DC).

Whole Foods is also just down the street, which is especially convenient since the rooms have kitchenettes.

The whole set-up really is ideal for people with small kids: our 1-bedroom suite had a separate bedroom and living/dining room, so that we adults could stay up later without disturbing them, and the kitchen came in handy for putting together light meals and snacks. An extra dining chair or two would be welcome, though.

On this trip, check-in was quick and efficient and the desk clerk gave each of our kids a teddy bear as a welcome gift. They loved them and I was impressed at this thoughtful gesture. The staff were friendly throughout our stay and later lent us scissors and tape so that my wife could wrap a gift.

Now a few quibbles: the mattress pad provided for the sofabed did not fit (it was for a twin bed, not a full/double) so we had to wait for someone to bring a replacement. The front desk seemed to be aware that this is a common issue; why not just provide the right size in the first place?

Also, some of the furniture is starting to show some wear and tear, and one side of the bed was noticeably softer than the other.

We also had trouble getting enough towels for all of us -- we only received 3, which was fine for starters, but we never received more, even after I left a note for housekeeping requesting 4 fresh towels.

The pool is only open from something like 4-9 PM on weekdays, and doesn't open till 10 AM on weekends, which seems a little limited. We enjoyed the pool but the kids were disappointed that we didn't have more opportunities to swim.

None of these things ruined our stay, but it caused a little bit of frustration and wasn't quite in keeping with what we'd experienced before at this hotel.

The breakfast buffet is included in the rate, which is a great bonus even if it's a little crowded and not exactly fine dining. There are some nice breakfast places in Old Town if you grow weary of cafeteria-style scrambled eggs.

All in all, the layout and location of this place works very well for us when we are in the area and the rates are usually quite competitive, so it's a good overall value despite a few small issues. I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Massachusetts_Member
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel is in a fine spot near a Metro station. The surrounding neighborhood feels safe and secure, but is oddly sterile and empty.

The service in the hotel was okay. I was checked in by an employee with an "in training" badge on. He was fine. His supervising employee seemed pretty gruff and cranky, though.

Upon check-in, you're required to read and sign a piece of paper that says the hotel has a zero-tolerance policy for parties. Okay, no problem for us. But the card went on to say something like "consider this your first warning" and "you'll be kicked out on the first violation." This whole little manifesto gave me a really bad impression of the place before I even got past the check-in counter (I was thinking "what sort of hotel did I just book?!") plus it came across like a pre-emptive schoolyard scolding. I've never seen such a thing in all my life.

The 1-bedroom room we stayed in was nice enough. The bathroom door didn't lock and some of the furniture was visibly worn. Overall it was fine, and I thought it was reasonable for the price paid.

The included breakfast was nice — except for the scrambled eggs (which I almost never like anyway unless I make them myself). But it was nice to have a good spread laid out before we started the day.

I wouldn't go out of my way to book this place again, but if you need to do something in the immediate area, it's not a bad choice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Matthew C
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Good Day MDCathell. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay here in Old-Town Alexandria. Our goal here is to ensure we make every effort to provide our guests a clean, comfortable stay. Over weekend nights, we distribute a "no party" policy in order to ensure that we are able to provide each and every one of our guests a comfortable, quiet stay and also allow us to address those who are disruptive and interfere with others having a enjoyable stay. I apologize if the verbatim on the policy itself comes across harsh and I will certainly look into adjusting the wording to be sure the parameters are explained in a more professional manner. Again, I apologize for this inconvenience and hope that you will give us another try during your next trip to Alexandria.

Regards,

Edwin P.
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just recently stayed at this hotel for conference in Alexandria. Good location, close to metro to go into DC and only 15 minute walk to conference in Westin hotel. Walked in the neighborhood and got lost, people were very friendly and helped me get back to the hotel. Room is comfortable and liked that it was close to Whole Foods and had kitchen utensils and cooking equipment so you could cook if you wanted to, Found that the breakfast offered by hotel was cold and just ok. I would stay here again if I were going to visit and site see in DC. Metro comes by every 19 minutes to go into DC. Also stops at Petagon City where there is shopping mall. Overall my experience has been good at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Good Day Janet E. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay here with us in Alexandria. We are happy to hear that our Hotel's location in Alexandria and proximity to Washington DC helped make your experience all the more enjoyable. Also, I am glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of the Whole Foods market just a block and a half from the Hotel.

I do want to apologize that the Hotels complementary breakfast failed to meet your needs and did not assist in making the stay more memorable from a positive standpoint.

I thank you again for taking the time to provide your comments and hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in Alexandria.

Regards,