“Great location, quiet, and staff”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Great location, quiet, and staff”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have stayed at the Residence Inn on Duke Street near the Alexandria King Street Metro station over 75 times in the past 7-8 years. The hotel is 3 blocks from the metro station. It is also one block from Whole Foods, which has an excellent selection of ready-to-eat meals. I have used this store to purchase dinner many times.
The hotel has some of the friendliest and most capable staff in the DC area (including Najet, Tanitia, Elizabeth, Esmirelda, and others). As of June 2014, the hotel has new management. I certainly hope they retain all the great staff!
The best and quietest rooms are on the high floors in the back overlooking the National Cemetery.
I have stayed in over a dozen other hotels in the DC area for 20 years. I always consider this hotel to be HOME.

Room Tip: High floors on the back side overlooking the national cemetery.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Hello Ed C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. With the exception of myself and two other managers we intend to keep the same great staff that you have grown accustomed to at the Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street. If I may ever be of assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I hope we have an opportunity to meet in the near future.

Safe travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Korean first
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Enjoyed my visit to Old Town/Duke with a few exceptions. The bathroom door did not close well and would pop open at bad times. The bed was comfortable but the bed coverings seemed to be a bit small. It covered the bed, but if you turned over, it was easy to become uncovered. I would have loved to have had a king bed rather than a queen. The room was roomy and comfortable, and was cleaned daily. The breakfast was very good, but wish it was until 10:00 during the week as we were there on vacation were often up late. A later breakfast would have been ideal.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank margaretbb
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Hello Margaretbb,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback concerning areas of opportunity. If your travels bring you back to this area in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance in making your stay more enjoyable.

Denpasar, Bali
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This particular Residence Inn is located at Duke Street, 2 blocks out from the tourist friendly King Street in Alexandria, VA; an upscale suburb of Washington, DC. This hotel is only approx. 10 minutes drive from the Pentagon and 15 minutes drive away from the National Mall. While the location is excellent, the property needs a physical update. The exterior still looks great but the lobby and hallway looks really dated while the room itself isn't much better. Mattress is really soft (or is it already sagging?) while the sofabed is basically unfit to sleep on. However, my room is clean and has a full kitchen fully equipped with stove, microwave, and a good size fridge. The supplied glasses and cutleries were in spotless condition. Free and quite speedy wifi and hot breakfast were provided. Breakfast area can get a little crowded but items were refilled fairly quickly every time they run out. The hotel also provided a free shuttle for guests to reach Alexandria's waterfront/nearest Metro station/ King Street shopping area, of which the hotel is actually only 2 blocks away or 7 minutes walk only. Staff was always all smiles and ready to help, which was a really big plus for out-of-towner like us. Self service laundry facility was on hand on the 1st floor, adjacent to the indoor pool/fitness center. The one thing I found annoying was the fact that guests need to pay $18/day for parking. I personally find this odd as the hotel is an extended stay property and located away from the downtown area of a big city.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms enjoy better view of the surrounding area
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RoniWDenpasar_Bali
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Hello RoniWDenpasar,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback concerning your recent experience at our hotel. We are glad that you found the property to be in a good location and that it provided accessibility to the surrounding areas. You also provided several helpful tips about the hotel and local area and we appreciate your input on potential future enhancements to improve our hotel further. Please let me know if I may be of any assistance in the future and thank you again for sharing your experience.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Free breakfast daily. Also free dinner Mon-Wed. No used the free shuttle to get around and it was great. The food staff were very friendly. It is a 20 min walk to the waterfront. "....................

1 Thank Tommyr73
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hello Tommyr73,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent experience at our hotel. I will be sure to share your comments about our friendly breakfast staff with the team so they receive the appropriate recognition. We hope to see you back again in the future.

Pittsburgh
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is a great place conveniently located in Alexandria, I stayed here in business and the room was clean and well maintained. The staff was friendly and helpful. When I checked in there was only one clerk on duty which created a delay in service. (She was extremely busy handling the phone and ring up customers food) When the clerk handed me my room card she offered several options for dinner which was helpful and reminded me about the fitness center. She was great! I had a great night sleep and woke up recharged from a long trip. Over all great experience.

2 Thank USMCMSGTRET
Hello USMCMSGTRET,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel and we are so glad to hear that you found the property and the staff to be very accommodating. We hope to see you again in the future and on a side note our team loves your profile picture on Trip Advisor. The water is absolutely beautiful.

Yerevan
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Dear readers I have confused the names of the hotels. Please disregard my comments about the other Residence Inn hotel on Virginia Beach. Whatever I said about that hotel refers to this one. I was very pleased with everything in this hotel.

I didn't use the spa. the button is wrongly pushed. Sorry!

Room Tip: Take a room that looks out on the main street.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hello Traveller24012008,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that the next time your travels bring you back to the Old Town Alexandria area of Virigina we will have the opportunity to host you again.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We recently spent 4 nights here while visiting the DC area. It was a great family hotel with an excellent location to the metro for easy city access. We especially appreciated the manager reception along with the shuttle that helped us with rides in the rain. Its a great location to explore Old Town as well. We'll certainly stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family