“Nice, but needs new mattresses”

Budget Host Travelers Motel
Ranked #30 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed here while visiting Washington, D.C. While most everything in the reviews about this place was true, it does have room for improvement. Here are those areas:

1. Both mattresses in our room were completely worn out. The one closest to the bathroom sagged horribly in the middle while the one closest to the door angled down to the left (nightstand) side. This lead to everyone in the room getting a poor night's sleep each night.
2. Every time the occupants of the smoking room next door to our non-smoking room lit up a cigarette, we could smell it in our room. It was so strong, it would wake us from a deep sleep.
3. The walls between rooms are quite thin and we could hear the same smoking couple having sex. It wasn't particularly loud sex, just a low, rhythmic grunting. This also woke us from a deep sleep. Luckily, my children thought they were snoring.
4. There's no pen or pad of paper in the room to fill out the feedback card, so I didn't.
5. The feedback card is not postage paid, so I didn't bother to fill it out later and mail it to them once I did find a pen.
6. When told of the room problems, I was told to fill out the above card. I would have thought the desk help could have written down the issues for me instead.
7. The room door could only be completely closed or opened by me, a fully grown man. It required bashing it shut with my hip and yanking it open with both hands and all my weight. This could be a safety issue in a fire. The door or frame need to be planed down to overcome the interference fit between them.
8. The shower curtain had mildew on it on the back, bottom edge against the tub. My children thought it was gross, though it didn't bug me.

On the plus side, because it is so close to the river, this part of the neighborhood isn't scary (no foot traffic, no retail traffic). However, drive just a little ways down US-1 in the direction away from downtown Alexandria to the other nearby hotels and restaurants, and the neighborhood does get a little scary/rundown. Okay in the daytime, but I wouldn't risk it at night.

Overall, it is an affordable place by DC standards to jump off from for trips into DC. It's close to the Huntington Metro stop ( though I'd consider it too far to walk at 0.9 miles by my odometer), US-1, I-495, and I-295. The staff are all friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean.

Room Tip: Ask for any room with the newest mattresses
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Mighty_Road_Warrior
paul5050511, Manager at Budget Host Travelers Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

Thank you for you comments. We have addressed your concerns.

Reviewed 13 July 2011

Clean and convenient to many things. Metro walking distance, staff very nice and helpful. Will stay here when we come to DC again.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ohplease40
Reviewed 14 April 2011

My friend and I stayed here last week. IWe were very impressed with the hotel.
The bedroom was spotless, it had a modern new bathroom. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Nothing was a bother. In the morning there was a free breakfast coffee, orange juice fruit and bagels. Perfect. The icing on the cake was the cost of the rooms so reasaonable we could not belive it.
An excellent little gem.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank ps947
Reviewed 2 April 2011

This motel was a great find for us. We were visiting relatives for a week and needed an affordable place to stay. The first night was rocky, as there was a leak in the room. They immediately moved us to another room, even helped us carry our things. There was a fridge, microwave, and wonderfully comfortable bed & good shower. If you're looking for luxury, it's not for you. If you're looking to stay comfortably without breaking the bank, I would highly recommend it. Right off the beltway, not too far from a metro stop. There is a considerable amount of traffic noise, but it didn't keep us awake.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wanderingthrulife
Reviewed 28 December 2010

It was my first time that I have to stay in this motel and it was my last time. I was forced to spend a night there because of the winter storm.First ,it was too much noise from ouside and at morning cleaning staff was looking through your window.Next,I was charged twice for the same thing.I stayed one night and I left and I was charged twice .When I called to dispute this charge they told me that according to their info I spent two days.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank Margaret136
Reviewed 5 October 2010

This is not the Hilton. It is a 1950s style hotel that is clean,friendly with a daily shuttle to the metro station. It is just off I 395, 10 min from DC in the middle of the $200 a nite hotels. 5 min from historic Alexandria downtown. Rooms are typical small of the era,and no frills, but have been kept up. Clean exterior. The staff is super friendly older Americans. The man that built it in 54 still comes in to check on it daily. Don't expect fancy at all, expect good rates and driving / transport convenience. Plenty of Food nearby, major shopping 10 min down US1 (Target,etc) Great for a budget stay. They still proudly fly the flag here!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank PatriotGuardRider
Reviewed 2 October 2010

There were no surprises about my room which was up to date in every sense...new bathrooms from floor to ceiling, refrigerator, microwave, free wi-fi and newspaper, coffee, juice & donut breakfast. The man who built this place in 1954 showed up a couple times; his son is the manager and could be seen picking up litter, hauling loads of laundry. Nice clean landscaping. Convenient location. Good prices for the area.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business