“Great tea, Average food”
Review of Teaism - CLOSED

Teaism
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Teaism is a local restaurant group with three locations in Washington DC and this one in Alexandria VA. We cook from scratch with healthy, wholesome ingredients. Our menu is Asian inspired to accompany our list of nearly fifty different loose leaf teas and herbal infusions. With a lovely zen atmosphere and a full bar, Teaism is the perfect place for any time of day. Local restaurant critic Tom Seitsema loves our breakfast menu. Must haves include the okonomiyaki and the Salty Oat cookies!
Falls Church, Va
“Great tea, Average food”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Not sure what the hype is about this chain. I've been to the one in DC a couple times and now this. Each time I come hoping for some sort of fulfillment. I am left with need for more. The food is average. The ambiance at this location is good and the location is in a newly developed part of town. The tea is certainly the best thing about this place.

• Visited February 2014

allentown,pa
“Delicious , lovely, and reasonably priced”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Our family of 4 seeks out a Teaism every time we visit the DC area. This time my grumpy 16 yr old wanted a burger and was outvoted but guess what? They had a great burger for him! My daughter and husband had the chicken curry served with the loveliest rice. I had a generous bowl of lentil soup and a mango lassi. I would have had the bean curd dessert which sounds wierd but is amazing, like a hot Asian donut, but I was stuffed. Kids had their ok cookies for dessert. The dining room was interesting like an Eastern tea house ,And the bill was friendly!

• Visited December 2013
Lancaster, NY
“Pretty good”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My first experience at Teaism was at the Dupont Circle location, approx a decade ago. I was instantly hooked. I knew that every single time I made a trip to the DC area, I would have to get my Teaism fix, or I might lose my mind. Everything is just so good there, and its such a unique food culture. Always new things to try to eat and drink, so much discovering to do! My favorite location will probably always be the one on 8th Street NW near the Archives Metro stop, being so close to my favorite part of the National Mall.

So I was absolutely ecstatic when I learned that Teaism was opening in Old Town Alexandria, because I often will stay in Alexandria when traveling to the DC area. The Old Town location is a simple walk several blocks away from King Street, into a more residential neighborhood. While the location is ideal for Trader Joe's shoppers, I do wish that the location was right on or right off of King Street, because it seemed to lack the energy of the DC locations.

That said, the new location is decorated nicely, I especially love the soft ottoman-style chairs and low tables on the one side of the restaurant. I wish the bar wasn't set all the way in the back of the restaurant tucked away like an ugly secret, because it kind of just feels like sitting in the kitchen, and is too close to the bathrooms. The drink list looks really interesting though, I would have loved to try something, but wasn't looking for alcohol at the times that I visited.

The non-alcoholic ginger limeaid was really good and refreshing. My husband ordered the fresh ginger beer, which we expected to be house made, and were slightly disappointed to find it served in a bottle, but was also good. His Salmon Bento Box was very good, consistent with the bento boxes served at the other locations. My Korean BBQ Beef with spicy pickled cabbage and brown rice was superb, really tender and delicious. Would definitely say that is a killer dish. The Imli Cooler was absolutely disgusting, undrinkable. Cannot imagine anyone that would like it. Will never order that again.

All in all, so happy to see Teaism in Alexandria, would definitely visit every time that I am in town, I will always be a loyal Teaism customer.

• Visited September 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Good but not for the picky eater”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Teaism is a little more fru-fru than other restaurants and probably appeals to real foodies more than the average person. They have lots of teas and very fresh, different foods and are true to the earth, meaning they serve foods that are in season so the menu will change seasonally. You order at the counter before sitting down and then wait for your number to be called to go pick up your food. There is no service at your table. The menu has a good variety but does include quite a bit of strange foods you might need to ask how to pronounce or what they are. Not a kid-friendly menu.
I ordered the special crab fritter salad, which was very fresh. My sister and husband were a little more adventurous and ordered the chicken meatball soup and the Korean BBQ beef. The soup was a little daunting and we spent some time analyzing its contents but it was good. My husband enjoyed the beef and spicy cabbage that came with it. For the more safe, traditional eater, they have burgers and their sweet potato fries are really good. The atmosphere is casual but still classy with a modern Asian feel. They have long tables with big pillow cushions or tall tables with chairs.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Heidi H
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Just Not For Us”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Saturday, too late to find a table at Table Talk, I remembered that we had yet to try the new Teaism on the other end of Old Town. Hubby dropped me off and I went in and looked at the menu. Oh, no. I was expecting healthy selections, but the menu provided some pretty odd stuff. Hubby will be looking for his bacon and eggs, not raw kale. But he gamely order the chicken sausage with Naan bread and some kind of something else. The Something Else was a yogurt and cucumber-type dip in a bowl. Now I am pretty adventuresome when it comes to my food, and I go for unconventional things for breakfast. (When in Australia, I would always go for the Japanese breakfast selections.) But the sausage tasted of chemical, not at all like the yummy chicken sausages I get at Whole Wallet. The bread was ok, but the yogurt sauce was runny. Stifling snickers we left the mess on the table and went hungry til lunch.

This was just not our kind of place. But, who knows, you might go for it. The lady beside us was snarfing down her raw kale pretty quick.

• Visited April 2013