“Room was Great, but Service was just Eh...”

Candlewood Suites Alexandria - Fort Belvoir
Ranked #34 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Room was Great, but Service was just Eh...”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My family and I only stayed here one night so we could go see Mount Vernon. The room was spacious for our needs, but it would drive my fourteen month old up the wall if we stayed there any longer. If you are military (or don't want to affiliate with military) and you don't like to be surrounded by military, don't stay here because this is where a lot of military families who don't get the on-post hotel when they PCS stay when they move to Fort Belvoir. We don't mind that, but do be prepared to be surrounded by military culture! Our encounter with the front desk was one of our poorer ones we have had in awhile. The gentleman looked like we were more of an annoyance to him than anything else. Plus, he just had the air of hating his job. I know not everyone is happy every day, but don't treat me like I'm an annoyance. Like I said, we only stayed for one night, and I'm glad that it was only for the one night.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dms200912
Danielle S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Alexandria - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear dms200912,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. I regret that you did not have the wonderful experience that we strive to provide. I do hope that in the future you will give Candlewood Suites another try.

Danielle Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My room was okay, the service from Ms. Audrey was great, the service from everyone else was substandard.

First of all if you are going to have a hotel that is pet friendly that is completely fine but having pet smells permeate the entire hallway was too much!!

I couldn't keep an internet connection. Every half hour my connection would drop which was very aggravating ~ I am officially behind in my studies!

My first incident was having something to wipe the gym equipment down with. When it was first mentioned I was told it would be taken care of. I had to ask on several occassions before I was informed that I need to ask someone else because the person I was asking was having her requests on my behalf ignored.

My second incident was when I asked about my sheets being changed. They changed them every 7 days; I was on day 9. Instead of managment simply telling me it will get done I kept getting push back becasue I hadn't been at the hotel long enough for linen change when I actually was.

My third incident was my toilet being stopped up which was fixed by the time I made it from training but by that point I was at the end of my rope.

When I told managment (who didn't look like managment at all, dressed very casual and I don't mean business casual) about it the first thing she did was apologized and offered me extras for my trouble in which my reply was that was not my intent. I was a little upset that she even made the comment as if she just wanted everything to blow over. When I spoke about the gym incident and I mentioned the person who helped me there was immediate nonverbal communication which suggested to me that there was conflcit with members of the staff. Interestingly when I mentioned my sheets not being changed I didn't receive the same "let me throw them under the bus" vibe. When I told the other manager (who looked very unprofessional as she was dressed "casual" as well) she acted like she was concerned but I couldn't really tell.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Elicia D
Danielle S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Alexandria - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Elicia D,

Thank you for your review. We value your feedback and are addressing your concerns. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced throughout your stay. As far as the appearance of our staff, on certain days we dress casual in support of a local charity where each team member will donate monies to wear casual clothing. I hope that you understand and will consider staying with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Room was OKAY...Service was OKAY...really enjoyed check-in with the night clerk, she was very personable and helpful. Morning clerk was adversarial about us having a pet for our stay, despite admitting it right off the bat. Um, I was staying on points, paying $75 pet fee for one night while staying for free on points? Completely asinine. Pet friendly? I think not. Not informed of exorbitant pet fee when booking through Priority Club Call Center. Pet station was completely unacceptable...overflowing waste bucket & poop everywhere. Our plans were ruined as a result of our stay here, not entirely the fault of the hotel, but we did not sleep great and did not enjoy our stay. If you are accustomed to staying in mom's basement, the lack of insulation/sound-proofing won't bother you at all. If you have a dog, you may want to stay elsewhere. I Would not stay here again, and I definitely, do not recommend.

Room Tip: Consider another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Curt B
Danielle S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Alexandria - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Curt B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. Please accept my deepest apologies for the incoveniences you experienced while staying. We are by all means pet friendly and love having our four legged friends stay with us. We like to provide memorable experiences and regret that yours was not one as such. If your travel ever brings you back to the Alexandria area, we hope that you would let us make this up to you as I know we can. Please reach out to me directly and I would personally handle your accommodation needs.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I want to extend special thanks Mr. Olivier. What a responsive young man. I don’t travel to often so writing reviews are not really my thing; however I felt a responsibility to acknowledge him for his service! As I came in from a day I would specify as overwhelming. I was lucky enough to be met in the hallway by him, before I could even ask he rushed to my aid removing my bags from me before I tilted over. He noticed I was ill and offered to bring me a few item to the room. I declined however I could not help but notice the service I was experiencing at that very moment. Clearly he has a five star back ground! Thank you Mr. Leon for being so nice and polite and reminding me of the quality service that all hotels should provide.
I’ll be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank T G
Danielle S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Alexandria - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear T J,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor, I'm glad that Olivier was able to assist you! Here at the Candlewood Suites Fort Belvoir we pride ourselves on great customer service and reward our employees for their outstanding achievements. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your return in the near future.

Louisa, Virginia
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We were attending a wedding at Mount Vernon. Booked two rooms for my family. The experience was great at the Candlewood Suites. Both rooms were clean and filled with amenities. The front desk staff couldn't have been nicer. Danielle was especially great! One room was missing a hair dryer. I called down and it was brought up to my room in less than a minute. When I asked where we might get breakfast, Danielle was extremely helpful and gave a special recommendation for a locally owned restaurant, which proved to be an excellent choice. I will definitely remember this hotel if we need to visit the area again and will highly recommend it to others. It contained many more amenities than similarly priced hotels in the area (most wedding guests were actually directed to the Hilton or Marriott, but our accommodations were much nicer and more convenient for the money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Louisa T
Dear Louisa T,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Candlewood Suites Fort Belvoir. It was such a pleasure assisting you and your family throughout your stay and am glad you found our hotel and the amenities very accomodating. I look forward to your return in the future.

Grovetown, Georgia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I’ve travelled here to the Fort Belvoir area for business on several occasions and I’ve always stayed at the Hampton Inn. Luckily for me they were booked this time. Candlewood was actually my fall back plan but I can honestly say it’s now my new favorite number one “Go To”.

From the moment I walked in the staff was friendly and accommodating. The rooms are exceptionally clean, spacious, and comfortable. I slept like a baby every night. Now this can be attributed to one of two things, either the bed was really comfortable or it had to do with not having to listen to my wife snore (she stayed home). I’m willing to say it was the bed.

The coffee downstairs was always fresh, hot, and available. The snack room was stocked with all the necessary food craving midnight snacks and easily accessible.

If your business is on Fort Belvoir then this is the place. If your business is closer to the DC area then this is still your place. It is close enough where travel time is not insanely ridiculous. It took me about 25 minutes to get here from the terminal at Ronald Reagan Airport.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention Marcus the night clerk. He has really gone out of his way to make my stay that much more enjoyable.

Thank you to Marcus and all the Candlewood staff,
I’ll be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Vincent V
Dear Vincent V,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Candlewood Suites Fort Belvoir. I'm glad you found our hotel and amenities to be very accomodating and am happy that we are one of your preferred hotels. I will thank Marcus for the excellent customer service that he provided you with throughout your stay and look forward to your return in the near future!

Cypress, Texas
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I was only in Alexandria for 3 days and my stay in the Candlewood suites was very nice, rooms were exceptionally clean, the cleaning crew was very nice and helpful. I was amazed of how pet friendly this hotel was it made me feel like being in a home environment.

The front desk personnel were very nice and helpful just ask them anything about the area they will direct you. Miss Danielle at the front desk is very kind and very helpful and treated me and I imagine other guests as VIP,s.

my stay was comforting and if all the candlewoods suites are similar to the one in Alexandria I can see utilizing this hotel chain for all my stays when traveling.

I would like to thank the staff especially Danielle at Candlewood suites in Alexandria Ft. Belvoir for making my short stay very comfortable and relaxing.

Room Tip: tell the front desk your desires and they will help you get the best room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Ricky J
Kyle E, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Alexandria - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Ricky J,

Thank you for sharing you review on Trip Advisor regarding the Candlewood Suites Fort Belvoir. We are glad you found our hotel and the amenities we have to offer satisfy you. I will personally thank Danielle for the great service she provided to you during your stay. It was a pleasure to have you with us and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Kindest Regards,