“Great Beer & Awesome People”

Port City Brewing Company
Ranked #15 of 93 things to do in Alexandria
More attraction details
Owner description: We brew award-winning craft beer. We are open for tastings, pints, growler fills, six-packs and kegs seven days a week. We have tours Thursdays through Sundays. Every Friday night there's live music and food trucks on Fridays and Saturdays. Look out for special events like Firkin Fridays, a Suspicious Package on tap, Lagers & Joggers with Pacers, Beer Yoga, Pedals 'N' Pints, Trivia and more... History: Established in 2011. We opened the brewery with the conviction that the DC market needed more local choices for great quality craft beer!
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This place is great! Everyone working is so friendly and the beer is amazing! It's a super fun place to socialize and enjoy some great brews!!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

An unassuming brewery that offers a great flight where you can choose what you'd like to sample instead of it being selected for you, which score major cool points with me. The atmosphere was warm and engaging and the appearance of the Borequeno food truck was awesome since we were getting hungry and a bit buzzed. A cool place to hang out

1  Thank Caroline C
Reviewed 7 July 2014

So I've somehow lived in the area for years and failed to make a weekend trip to Port City. So this Sunday - we decided to change that. What a great time. The brewery is located in an industrial park - nothing special to look at but you can park right next to the entrance or along the streets. The entrance leads you to a tasting room with two main bar areas and ample seating in the middle. Baseball was on the big screen and I was a happy guy! For $10 you get a tour and a tasting. I was actually more interested in the tasting than the tour and they were happy to let us take it out of order. What I loved about Port City's system is that they give you 6 little tickets - and YOU decide what you want your tasting to be - and how long between beers you want to sit there. That was great - I could take the two Pale Ales - and compare and contrast those without being rushed. I am not into coffee stouts - so I gladly skipped that one - and tried their Derecho Common (very good!). The staff was very knowledgable - they knew their beer and their details - always good to see. I will definitely be back. I'm not a huge beer guy anymore but this was fun - as a group event- it would be even more special.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Excellent atmosphere, delicious brews, wonderful experience. Bring friends, it will definitely make the experience that much better.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Port City Brewing Company is practically in our backyard in Alexandria but we didn't discover it until last winter when our son bought my husband a growler of their craft brew for Christmas. We've since visited several times and introduced friends to Port City. We were there early Saturday evening and it was packed with 50 happy imbibers. Take the tour: for $10, you get a backlot tour of the brewery and five tickets for 6-oz pours of their microbrews. My current favorite: Tartan ale, a hearty beer that falls between the lighter IPAs and the stouts. My husband came away with a growler filled with Colossal Two, a smoked imperial stout. "Hints of bacon", for real! Their fame is growing -- Chef Geoff of the eponymous restaurant chain just commissioned a beer named Northwest -- so go soon before the line is out the door!