“SPECTACULAR DINING! BEST FOOD IN ALEXANDRIA, VA IS HERE!”

Le Refuge Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 769 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Le Refuge on N. Washington Street in Alexandria may be tiny in size but wow does it deliver when the food comes! The filet mignon pepper steak is to die for. Comes well appointed with delicious au gratin potatoes and sauces. The bread is excellent and Muscadet wine sends the occasion off to a great start. Desserts are very good here. Last night we had our friends at the table come to our house afterward for dessert so we did not have this course on this visit. Appetizers are great here. Try the crab stuffed mushrooms!

We have been here numerous times over the years and never had a bad meal. The seating is limited to approximately 30 or so inside and a few tables outside. Park in front or around the corner on Cameron Street.

Tip on tables: Reserve a table and you will get it. We like the one for 4 nearest the front windows.

1  Thank VAChuck

Reviewed 19 May 2014

great character, wonderful food and excellent service. i recommend it without preconditions - as long as you like French food.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We've been going there for years whenever my husband feels like Coq Au Vin. I ususally have lamb, either braised shank or rack of lamb, or whatever they have. I never leave disappointed. After the meal a nice stroll downtown Old Town helps you digest rich French food, and rich I LOVE!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We've been going to Le Refuge for over 20 years. It is our favorite local restaurant by far and one of our favorites in the world.

First, we LOVE the atmosphere. Yes, it is VERY small...it is crowded...it is dark...but it is SO French! We've lived many years in France and each time, this restaurant transports us back to some small regional village bistro in the heart of Burgundy or Perigord.

Second, the food is not fancy. It sticks to the basics of good French country cuisine--Julia Child would be at home here. Nothing too modern, nothing too chic--just good hearty French cooking prepared well.

Finally, service is wonderful. One Saturday afternoon with old friends, we went well beyond the lunchtime closing time without knowing it, particularly since the wine, coffee, and cognac kept coming. We eventually realized they had been closed several hours and were already setting up for dinner. When we tried to apologize, the owner simply said, "I saw you were having such an enjoyable time, I didn't want to interrupt." Yes, it's very French.

Bottom line: this is a biased review. We LOVE this place and keep coming back no matter where we travel in the world. It is truly a taste of Europe in Virginia.

1  Thank goodhikers
Reviewed 4 May 2014

A friend and I happened to be walking around Old Town Alexandria on a Tuesday afternoon, and we decided to pop in for an early dinner. She had heard of Le Refuge and remembered it as being excellent; this was my first time dining here. Since we were early, we were seated right away with no reservation.

This is an intimate restaurant with lots of French country menu selections (and wall adornments). The dinner menu offers a decent selection of hors d'oeuvres, soup, salads, fish and meat, definitely weighted toward the meat entrées. One shared appetizer, two main courses (I had salmon; awesome), a drink each and shared dessert came out to $100 before tip. Not for those on a budget, but right in line with what I'd consider a top-notch dinner. Our waiter was a quiet guy, fairly attentive, and the food was served pretty quickly. Everything was just right. I would recommend Le Refuge to anyone.