“Tasty Lunch in an Historic Setting”
Review of Gadsby's Tavern

Gadsby's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Gadsby's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 769 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cameron Street
Description: Gadsby's Tavern has been offering fine dining since 1770. Enjoy lunch and dinner in one of the elegant Colonial dining rooms. The one-of-a-kind Gadsby's Tavern experience awaits you.
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I imagine that the food is quite different than when George Washington slept here. Though he might have enjoyed the peanut soup as did my wife and I. The beef and cheese dip sandwich was well prepared with lots of lean sliced meat and cheese accompanied by the broth dip. My wife had a salad topped with grilled chicken. The restaurant serves some beers made to the original recipes of some of the Founding Fathers - George Washington porter, Poor Richards's Tavern Spruce, and Thomas Jefferson ale. I had the Tavern Spruce which includes ingredients of molasses, spruce tips and sprigs. Quite tasty. Service was attentive and friendly.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

They did not let us put our bill on George Washington's tab, but they were very gracious in seating us just for some beer. Then we saw the menu and ordered some food even though we had already had dinner. Don't judge. Great food, and very friendly staff. Had a great talk with a manager about Alexandria and he shared some fun stories of the town.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We went to Gadsbys upon a recommendation from a friend. We were looking for period dressing employees and those "in character". We were somewhat disappointed because the wait staff weren't in character. And one of them wasn't even dressed in colonial clothing. Then this elderly man came in very much in character. He visited all the tables and was quite pleasant and entertaining. The food was OK for the price. I had the duck which was tasty but tough. My husband had the salmon and he said it was good. It definitely wasn't as good as the taverns in Williamsburg, which we love. I guess it's OK to visit once, but I wouldn't return. If I'm gonna spend that much money on food, I'd rather go somewhere where the food is outstanding.

2  Thank royaldd
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Staff are dressed in period dress, and restaurant is lit up by candles only (so seems very dark till your eyes adjust). Their menu tries to offer old school recipes and beers. Enjoyed a Jefferson ale and a vegetarian casserole. Overall experience was a four stars, with food probably three and atmosphere three, but together they make a four.

1  Thank Harrison-act
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Went here for a rehearsal dinner for a family member. Very historic and menu was very early American. You will like the atmosphere if you are a history buff.

1  Thank JerseyGirl1718