“Food of the Gods”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stumbled in after a long drive only to be warmly welcomed and told "Honey, we'll take care of you". Two adults, three kids, and we were well taken care of with amazing food, authentic music and even better dancing. The chicken kebabs were a big hit with the kids.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I have nothing but good things to say! My family and I dined at Taverna a few weeks ago, and thoroughly enjoyed the food and ambiance. It was a nice evening so we were able to enjoy their outdoor patio. The staff was friendly and welcoming, and very helpful describing the offerings. They also willingly created two gyros for the kids on the group - even though they weren't on the dinner menu! The appetizer sampler of various Greek dishes was out of this world. I had the special - Bronzini - that the waiter deboned for me. Fantastic! I want to thank the team at Taverna Cretekou for making my family and my trip to DC so memorable!

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Although sometimes lacking on the entrees, this restaurant has been a staple of my Alexandria diet ever since I discovered its authentic Cretan cuisine tucked away on King St. As stated, the actual entrees leave a bit to be wanted: the specials are usually the same, the same sauce is used for most dishes, but the sheer variety of meals makes up for it. Service can be a bit slow, but I encourage ordering small plates and sharing tasty morsels of saganaki (cheese fried at your table) and filo pastry with some decent Greek wines. During the warmer months, the back patio is the place to be with pig roasts and plate smashing on a special occasion.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Great service and great food. The prices were very reasonable (light fare options on the menu). We really enjoyed our meal.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

again, based on trip advisor reviews, off we went!!
have only eaten greek once before and wanted to try again. Server, Fernando from Venezuela ( I kid you not!) recommended the SATYRIKON to try for an appetizer. 6 different appetizers serves 2 and they were all delicious, stuffed grape leaves, hmmus, filo baked with spinach and feta to name a few. all served with warm slices of pita bread.
Husband had the lamb special which he loved and I had "KOTOPOULO ME DAMASKINA -ANDROS" which was Chicken Breast Marinated in Dry Sherry, Lemon Juice and Fresh Spices with Finely Chopped Prunes, Mango, Papaya, Thyme, Nutmeg and Peppercorns. It was good but I was sort of sorry i didn't go for the chicken special which I think would have been better.
Had a bottle of greek wine "Saint George" which was very tasty and would love to try and locate to purchase,
greek version of rice pudding for dessert, good but nothing special.
atmosphere is cute and when we left, the place was jumping!