“Excellent service, great patio”
Review of Taverna Cretekou

Taverna Cretekou
Ranked #16 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$8 - US$35
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The people at Taverna are unbelievably nice. The outdoor patio is adorable and the interior is cozy, too. Food is very good. Truly one of the best places to eat in Old Town.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Lovely patio behind the restaurant for outdoor dining on a nice day. Lunch buffet was reasonably priced and the food was good.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is by far one of the best places to eat in Alexandria--and all the DC/NoVA area as well! It's quite impressive in decor, service, and best of all--cuisine! I've never had a bad experience here, and if you leave hungry, it's not their fault! Serving sizes are generous, but they'll also happily give you a to-go box, too. I take people here often, and no one's ever had anything but good things to say about their food and their experience! And there's a special surprise at dinner on Thursdays... you'll have to go find out!

1  Thank QuickWhitTravel
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I liked the "Cretan" twist on Greek food theme that this restaurant offered. The restaurant has a nice Mediterranean-themed interior with old-style maps of Crete and scenes from ancient Minoan frescoes on the menus and walls.

The service was also friendly, and even gave all of the women roses for Mother's Day.

Unfortunately, the food did not live up to the setting. The lamb dish I had was salty and lacking in taste and flavor, the dessert was just average and the presentation of all of the food was uninspiring.

Also, although we were in no hurry, the food took a very long time to be delivered, and the ambience was disrupted by multiple occasions in which pots and pans in the kitchen fell on the floor and glassware in the dining room shattered (some of these could have been broken by patrons).

It is not a bad place; I just expected more considering its lofty TripAdvisor ranking and prices that were higher than a typical neighborhood Greek restaurant.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Based on excellent TripAdvisor reviews, my wife, two adult children and I had dinner here, on a Sunday evening. The restaurant was busy, but still did much to serve us individually, including seating us early when we arrived ahead of our reservation, offering a choice of indoor and outdoor locations, and giving my wife a red rose for Mother's Day. My wife has a lot of things she can't eat (such as black pepper), and the staff were great in creating a dinner she could enjoy. We had a variety of different entrees, from my wife's custom chicken kebabs to my daughter's octopus and son's Greek sampler and my own lamb shank, all tasty. Desserts also got thumbs up, particularly the Galaktoboureko, a delicious custard topped with filo pastry and cinnamon.