“Popular for a reason”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We tried this place after noticing that it always seemed to be crowded. That's for good reason, we found out. The menu features many Greek specialties and is a lot like a menu you'd see in Greece itself. I didn't know how much I'd missed tzatziki and tarmasalata! Wait staff is efficient and fun, there's a back garden, and we look forward to returning on our next visit to Alexandria.

1  Thank Gerald K

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My favorite restaurant on King st. We came in to share an appetizer on a Thurs. Night. The owners were delightful and the wait staff excellent. The old fellows were playing and singing Greek music. I was encouraged to try the greek white wine and im glad I did because it was delicious! ...we will be back

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We ate here in June 2014. Overall the food is very good and I would definitely return. We sat outside on the patio, which was very nice. We started with the tzatziki and Greek salad. The tzatziki was very close to what I've had in Greece. For my entrée, I had an eggplant and cheese dish (I forget the name of it) which was very good as well.

As for the service, while there was nothing wrong with it, I would say that it was just okay. It wouldn't hurt if the service had a little more personality (they were somewhat robotic). Overall, though, this was not a big deal.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The hostess is a gem! My out of town guests ask to eat here. The food is always delicious and high quality. The fresh fish is de-boned at the table. Traditional Greek dishes are a comfort food no matter your nationality. The service is professional, yet warm and welcoming. Be prepared to dance, the entertainment is festive. We enjoy sitting in the outdoor garden. Did I mention the melt-in-your-mouth leg of lamb, yum.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I was recently in Alexandria, and wanted to try this "well reviewed" Greek restaurant- i was not disappointed!
I am Greek/Australian, and have lived in Greece {in the past} for many years, and found the food offered in this enchanting place- most authentic and delicious. My friend and i came about an hour before closing, and were given polite, well informed recommendations on their specials for that evening, and once our order was given, our food arrived in a timely manner. The standout item: the grilled octopus, in a wine/garlic/olive oil marinande-superb! I felt as if i had been transported to a Greek beach, as i devoured each morsel.
The more formal part of Taverna Cretekou {indoor section} looked to be elegant and had it been cold outside, would have been my choice to enjoy my dinner, however, it was a lovely warm evening and the patio outside with its overhead grape trellis and tiny lights, only further added to a perfect evening.
Will return for sure, to try more delights on my next trip back to Alexandria.