“GIANT Delicious Steak Sandwiches”
Review of Al's Steak Shop

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Al's Steak Shop
Ranked #351 of 757 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Alexandria, Virginia
“GIANT Delicious Steak Sandwiches”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The steak sandwiches are juicy, giant, and overflowing with steak. One $8 steak sandwich makes two huge meals for me. You won't find a better steak sandwich for the price in NOVA.

Visited July 2013

Alexandria, Virginia
“Great sandwich, but crowded and dingy.”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I've been hearing about Al's famous sandwiches for a while now, but today was the first I've stopped by to try one. The first thing I noticed was that practically all the clientele were, shall we say, a bit on the hefty side. When the food came, I had to acknowledge that if I were a regular customer, I'd be quite a bit heftier too. The "medium" sandwich is HUGE. The mushroom steak I had was very tasty, with an abundance of meat and other fillings like I haven't seen in a sandwich in a long time. For my arteries' sake, however, I don't think it's an item I want to include on my menu on a regular basis.

The store itself is small and old. A lot could be done to improve the space, but since they had people standing in line waiting, maybe they think they don't need to. Because of the arrangement, however, the people who are waiting are forced to mingle among the tables where people are eating, and the quarters got pretty cramped.

The food was slow in coming. The owner himself mans the counter, takes orders, and serves, which they say he's been doing for 40+ years. It certainly is a bit of local color and character. Signed pictures on the walls of the various celebrities who have eaten there add to the atmosphere.

I'm not sorry I went, and I certainly enjoyed the food, but both for my health's sake and to avoid the claustrophobic feeling I got by the arrangement today, I likely will save it as a once-in-a-while place instead of a regular haunt, even though I'm just a few blocks' walk away.

• Visited June 2013
Alexandria
“I like it”
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I'm not from Philly but I've enjoyed Phillys in Philly. Al's is good and you definitely get your money's worth. The sandwiches are not at all skimpy on meat or toppings. I wish Al's had cheese wiz. I'm a cheese snob generally, however, I really enjoy the flavor of cheese wiz on a cheesesteak sandwich. Ill drive over to Al's when I get a craving. I also wish Al's offered a small because a medium is a waste of money for me. I don't like to reheat sandwiches and I can never finish the medium.

• Visited November 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
“If you like subs you'll love Al's”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

This is without question the quintessential hole in the wall sandwich shop. The Hogie, steak and cheese and meatball subs are so good that after 40 years I have not bothered to ventured farther down the menu. No need to look at anything else, these 3 classic subs are the best you'll find in the DC area. The steak and cheese is so much better than those silly little Cheese Whiz things you find in Philadelphia that they shouldn't even have the same name.
Al's is a Del Ray institution, in fact Al's was here before Del Ray was Del Ray.

Visited April 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
“Best PhillySteak in this area!”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This is no slouch of a sandwich. Quaint shop very near the Del Rey area. Very tasty sandwiches! I've had the hot ham and cheese and the Phillysteak, just awesome! Try them and you'll agree with me.

Visited May 2012