“Average Score awarded due to Groupon”

Dandy Restaurant Cruise Ship
Ranked #544 of 754 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Old Town
High Point, North Carolina
“Average Score awarded due to Groupon”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is the 3rd time we have done the dinner cruise. We have done it several times over the years and it has definitely changed. Based on the Groupon price - I am okay with the service I received. If i would have paid $100 pp, I would have been extremely disappointed and upset. My largest complaint is the attire. In prior years, and per the website, attire states Cocktail dresses for ladies and jackets recommended for men. What people were wearing were: Sun dresses, jeans, and even in some cases - shorts. If the policy is going to allow any clothing - then simply update what your website says. I would have been fine dressing down.

Food was average and alcohol was priced just like a bar so no big surprises there. After groupon the following charges were applied:
Coffee $2
2 Glasses of wine $16.00
2 Mixed drinks $20.00
$10 ($5pp) fuel surcharge
$15 Taxes
and drum roll please....... $39.00 suggested tip. Which we paid. The servers seem very rushed and have a lot to get done which is why I was okay with paying the suggested tip amount. HOWEVER - the overall service as less than pleasant. The boat is packed with people and seems like a few servers have a lot to get done with in the time allotted.

Overall:
Pros - Some fun music towards end of dinner cruise. They will play requested songs - we tipped the guy extra for going out of his way for a particular song. You get a decent serving of food.
Cons - not a romantic evening for 2. Happy Birthday was sung no less than 6 times. Didn't get to see the sights due to high tide (I'm thinking this is a repeat issue with others as well - so maybe they need to really disclose what you will see and not the less than 10% chance of seeing the monuments) The piano went on for hours - very dull. Just play the dj music as soon as dinner is served.

Will not do again - but we were looking for the same romantic ambiance we had several years ago. If you are ready to party with a group - enjoy!!!

• Visited April 2014
6 Thank MazieMae

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Staff and Business Practices”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

The food was overall okay but their business practices are questionable. When we presented a groupon, the groupon stated only a $5.00 fuel surchage and than they tried making it $10.00. When I confronted the manager and reminded them that this groupon is a legally binding contract, they adjusted it back down. Next, the staff who are not american, speak very poor english, and have very poor social and communication skills. They came across as beggars on the street when it was time for a tip. There were trying to tell someone with a Bachelors Degree how to do basic math. I had to tell them to STOP doing that or I would give no tip. It appears to me that many of the Staff who work aboard the Dandy need to understand that they are not entitled to a gratuity and have to earn it. Trying to tell someone who is educated how much the percentages are is rude, insulting, and demeaning. I don't have an issue with tipping people fairly commensurate with the quality of work they performed. However, TIPS ARE NOT a RIGHT; they are a privilege.

• Visited July 2013
6 Thank Emanuel C
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good for romance and enjoy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Very romantic and good.
Would definitely do it again
Price is a little high but definitely I enjoy the view from the Potomac and the romanticism from the ship

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Xhris L
“Not what I paid for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Decided to book this cruise for my wife's 24th bday. Was suppose to see the monuments and go through Georgetown. None of that happened. Due to the ice in the water we went in circles for 3 hrs no further than the dock. The service was horrible, bartenders were too busy fixing their self drinks instead of paying customers. My drink sat empty for almost an hour. Wasted time and money. Will not do again.

• Visited January 2014
11 Thank jerseyboi352
Hilltop Lakes, Texas
“A Wonderful Expierence”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

I read many of the reviews and some being positive and many being negative. I decided to give it a try. It is a wonderful way to see the sites along the river. The staff was excellent and I had no surprises on the cost of the trip. The food was actually very good which included bread, a soup, salad, entrée (mine was cod) and great dessert (cheesecake).It was all served at the correct temperature. and very timely. The staff was excellent. I did use a Groupon and that cut the cost some so make sure you check those out. It takes about three hours from when you board to when you return to port. Music was offered for dancing and going outside on top of the boat to see the sites was amazing. It is certainly worth the trip. If your a wine drinker don't expect much in fact you may want to have a cocktail.

• Visited October 2013