“What can I say!”

Ranked #39 of 821 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We Are A Local Gem, According To Our Patrons. We Are Family Owned And Operating Restaurant. Now Over 20 Years At The Same Location. We Have Veg, Non Veg, Vegan, Gluten Free Options. Party Trays For All Occasions. Weekly Dinner Specials And Everyday Lunch Buffet.
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Was crowded on Friday night but not one Indian family or couple. For those of us who has been to India many times as well as having tasted Indian food in London and New York, this place is a disappointment. However, am glad that many are at least trying ethnic food. We both had lamb dishes and lamb chunks should be soft and juicy but they were definitely over cooked or hard meat to begin with. At least their buffet lunches are not expensive so I may return for that again but wondering whether a real Indian trained in India is behind the kitchen. I'd rate between poor and average.

1  Thank Yori O

Reviewed 29 September 2012

I used to live in an area with a high percentage of Indians so I have eaten my share of Indian food with Indians. There were no Indians in this restaurant other than the servers and I feel like this indicates the lack of authenticity of the food. The chicken tikka masala was extremely tomato-y and the other food tasted very Americanized.

1  Thank mikenrona
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Have been to this neighborhood restaurant several times now and it is definitely worth going back. We usually go with other people so that we can get several dishes and share. I am very
fond of the chicken tikka and the chicken with spinach. We also like some of the vegetarian dishes like the potatoes with cauliflower or the chickpeas. We usually get the breads as well and the portion is quite large so normally will split one for two people. Service is efficient. We have also gotten food to carry out. The restaurant is often crowded but we have not had to wait. My only complaint is that the food is rich and sometimes a little salty so we eat it more for special occasions than as a regular meal. They also have been in the Entertainment guide so we use our card to get a small discount when we dine here. The place has easy parking and is perfect for a tasty Indian meal. I understand that they also have lunch buffets but so far have not tried that. We will definitely recommend this restaurant when you are wanting a nice Indian dinner at a good price.

1  Thank turtlelover22
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We went to Dishes of India (you need to correct the name on your listing) for years and were never disappointed, but it's important to know what the restaurant is and is not. It serves really first rate Indian food. I am especially drawn to northern Indian dishes but everything I have had has been fine. The service has always been excellent and friendly. New to Indian cuisine, or have a question? Just ask. The atmosphere is nice, but it's not a place to go on a special date. It's a neighborhood favorite, so there are families and groups of friends, not just couples dining, dim lights, and soft music in the background. (On the other hand, a couple who just enjoyed each other's company and wanted some good Indian food would probably be very happy.)

A word needs to be said about the physical setting. The decor and furniture are okay, but it could stand a facelift. The restaurant is in a basement in a strip mall. That's not a show stopper, but there are certain inherent limitations -- low ceiling and no windows. You enter after descending a long flight of stairs. If anyone in your party is mobility impaired, check it out first. It can be a real show stopper, and it has been in my family. My wife and I can no longer eat there. However, they do an excellent carry-out service, and they appear to do a lot of it. They will pack full meals very well and we now occasionally enjoy them at home.

1  Thank Olearius
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Tripadvisor rates this restaurant as the best Indian Restaurant in Alexandria. While the service was very good the food was not.We visited during the Sunday Buffet. The food had way too much color added to almost all dishes. The color was so strong it went all the way through the Tandoori Chicken. Very average and nothing exceptional. I did not go back for seconds. Extremely disappointed in the taste. We saw a table that had ordered Mango Lassi. The color of their drinks were neon orange. They really need to rethink all of the artificial color added to their food and think about the flavor instead.