“It's in the details...”

Vermilion Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Vermilion Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 815 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fayette St.
Transit: King St. Metro Station Using the King Street Trolley, get off at the Fayette St. Stop coming in either direction.
Description: Vermilion features Chef William Morris' menu of Contemporary American cuisine. Complimenting Chef Morris' menu is Vermilion's wine list, named one of the top wine lists in the country by Restaurant Hospitality Magazine. Combining a charming location in Old town Alexandria with stylized design and atmosphere, Vermilion represents a bit of downtown sophistication: from the exposed brick in the upstairs dining room to the overstuffed pillows in the lounge downstairs, Vermilion holds something for all tastes.
Reviewed 3 October 2013

M boyfriend and I went to this restaurant mid-week to celebrate my birthday, and it was an overall stellar meal - great service, good food, and laid-back ambiance.

Vermilion uses a team approach to serving, which means super attentive and seamless service. Also, my boyfriend mentioned that it was my birthday. Not only did the waiter offer birthday wishes, but also, they gave me a conplimentary dessert and a handwritten birthday card. It was a rally nice, unexpected touch that made my birthday extra special.

The bread basket alone is worth a visit; ours had amazing homemade onion focaccia and biscuits. The amuse bouche also was very good - a salmon tartare on a crouton. For appetizers, I had the charred octopus, and my boyfriend had the beet and apple salad. The octopus was exceptional - perfectly cooked, beautifully charred, and seasoned well, with a ham broth, peppers, fingerling potatoes, and garlic aioli. My boyfriend said the salad also good, but it had onions, which threw his taste buds for a loop. In addition to the beet salad and the octopus dish, the waiter had also recommended the pork belly appetizer. For dinner, I had the lamb, and my boyfriend had the salmon. The lamb was good, but it wasn't the most memorable lamb dish I've ever had. The eggplant sauce it came with was good, and the panissa, or fried squares of chickpea deliciousness, we're amazing. My boyfriend said the salmon was exceptional and highly recommended it. The other dish the waiter recommended was the sirloin steak. For dessert, we ordered the goat cheese cheesecake, which was amazing - highly recommend!! We also got the blackberry brung cake as a birthday treat, but we didn't find it to be noteworthy.

Drinks
I had the seasonal Falcon punch, which was a fall cider-ish punch with a hint of sweetness. My boyfriend had the Like Apples and Oranges drink, which is made with whiskey and was very good.

Ambiance
The ambiance was great -- laid back, not too loud, but comfortable. It was nice that it is not pretentious - there were people in varied dress - jeans, dresses, suit coats, etc.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

My wife and I went here for my birthday and had an incredible experience. The food was excellent and the service was fantastic. Knowing it was my birthday, they seated us in a private area, even though it was a busy Friday night. I ordered the lamb and seasonal cocktails while my wife had the gnocchi with a unique flavorful sauce. When we ordered the dessert, they even came out with a brown fudge sundae on the house, complete with a candle and card.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

This is a new favorite. We visited for a special birthday dinner and were quickly drawn in by the rustic charm of the upstairs dining room. The service was attentive and cheerful, and the food creatively relied on local vendors. A table by the front windows offered a great view of King Street. We'll definitely go back!

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

The pimento cheese is the best and happy hour is a real bargain. The appetizers are fun and tasty without being too complicated. The restaurant also has a great dinner menu. One of my favorite places in Old Town.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We have been to Vermilion quite a few times. We were there the other night and had the tasting menu with wine pairings. Great variety and perfect portion sizes. The wines were a perfect match to each course. The waiter was attentive but not too attentive! He was great with his awareness of dietary needs for one of us. Really relaxing, tasty mid-week evening dining experience.