“Lovely Brunch”

Vermilion Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Vermilion Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 757 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fayette St.
Transit: King St. Metro Station Using the King Street Trolley, get off at the Fayette St. Stop coming in either direction.
Description: Vermilion features Chef William Morris' menu of Contemporary American cuisine. Complimenting Chef Morris' menu is Vermilion's wine list, named one of the top wine lists in the country by Restaurant Hospitality Magazine. Combining a charming location in Old town Alexandria with stylized design and atmosphere, Vermilion represents a bit of downtown sophistication: from the exposed brick in the upstairs dining room to the overstuffed pillows in the lounge downstairs, Vermilion holds something for all tastes.
McKinney, Texas
“Lovely Brunch”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

After a Sunday morning walk in the gorgeous city of Alexandria, me and my wife popped in to this charming place. We were lucky and could get two of the four places that were not alreade booked for brunch. The coffee was excellent and the food was both good and came in hearty portions. The bread was delicious as was the egs and sausage

• Visited March 2014

Alexandria, Virginia
“Upscale Contemporary Continentakl Cuisine”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Very reliable menu, service, Creative dishes. Convenient location in heart of Old Town Alexandria. Noise level reasonable.

• Visited November 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
“My favorite hometown restaurant”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is my go to place for wonderful food. I've been many times for both lunch and dinner. The fare is simpler at lunch and the price reflects it. It's a fun place to meet friends and reservations are not needed. At night the food is more elegant, and I go for special occasions. The Obamas came here for Valentines Day a couple of years ago. Most of the food is sourced locally. The desserts are fun-particularly the samplers.

• Visited December 2013
Wayne PA
“Fabulous Food and Equally Fabulous Service”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I have now been to Vermilion twice. The first time, I went with my mother to celebrate her 93rd birthday. When we arrived, we were greeted with complimentary champagne for the occasion. Virtually every dish we had from the farm-to-table menu was superb, from the garlic soup with hen's egg and gnocchi we had for appetizers to our main courses of duck breast and steak. The room-temperature lemon-poppy fritters were the only slightly off note. However, we were served a complimentary plate of delicious interpretations of American junk food classics (e.g., Hostess cupcakes, snickers bars, etc) in honor of my mother's celebration. The waitstaff is incredible, striking just the right note at every turn.
Our meal was so memorable that we returned yesterday with my brother and his son, in town from the west coast. Once again, everything was superb. The beet salad, tuna steak, and winter squash soup deserve special mention, along with the mini-Parkerhouse rolls we found in the bread basket. The chef's interpretation of lemon meringue pie was absolutely outstanding, from the lemon curd with marshmallow topping to the scoop of pistachio-rose ice cream and - last but certainly not least - the pomegranate molasses that looped around the plate (every bit as good as it sounds). One of the best desserts I have ever had!
Overall, my two meals at Vermilion rank with the best experiences I've had in many years of dining.

• Visited January 2014
Seattle
“There is a subtle difference between 'pacing' and 'slow.'”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We made a few mistakes on this visit.

Mistake #1 - showing up without a reservation during DC and Alexandria restaurant week. Still, we were seated almost immediately, greeted promptly, and placed our order in a very timely manner.

Mistakes #2 & 3 - ordering 1 appetizer and 1 entree to share; and not asking for them to be brought out simultaneously. Everyone knows portions in the U.S. are too large. We try to be a little more healthy and a little less wasteful by sharing at restaurants. Some restaurants have become 'hip' to this and are more than accommodating, some restaurants 'don't get it,' and some just don't care.

Still not sure where Vermillion is on the spectrum--what I do know is that the pace/speed of our service left A LOT to be desired. After placing our order, we waited a semi-eternity before receiving our appetizer. Another eon for drink refills. It seemed like an Ice Age between the appetizer and the entree. My wife had to ask the restaurant Hostess for more water. And finally I had to flag down our waiter for the check. Other tables (helped by our waiter and/or other servers) did not seem to be experiencing the same problems. Maybe this pacing/service was due to our breaches in protocol which I previously mentioned.

The food was spectacular and I would definitely give them another try. I truly hope the service was an anomaly rather than the norm.

• Visited January 2014