“Improved ”

Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Cross street: King Street
Transit: King Street Metro. Trolley it from King Street Metro- The free trolley will operate seven days a week from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Approximately every 20 minutes, riders can board at the King Street Metro, near the Waterfront, or at one of many other stops. The closest stop to the restaurant is one block away, at King and St. Asaph Streets.
Description: Restaurant Eve has one intention: to bring everything together in perfect harmony-ingredients, cooking techniques, presentation, and that ephemeral, indescribable characteristic that we call soulfulness. We purchase from farms that share our values of quality and sustainability, and showcase the best hand-fed, farm-raised, organically grown bounty Virginia and the surrounding countryside have to offer. Herbs and fruits are gathered from our own garden and everything on our menu has a story, every ingredient is special. From the various offerings of house-made products (which include 7-9 various breads baked daily and artisanal cheeses); to the roster of craft cocktails, by cocktail authority Todd Thrasher; to our carefully chosen ingredients, everything signals a seriousness and reverence for the farmers, crafters, and all the culinary professionals who wish to bring you beautiful food. Restaurant Eve, named after the husband and wife duo's first child, is located in Old Town, Alexandria, listed by many travel sites as one of the most romantic towns in America, 10 minutes from Washington DC, Restaurant Eve is housed in a late 1800's historic warehouse that has been converted into a charming and sophisticated destination. The cobblestone path leading to the restaurant's entrance is lined with candles that set the tone of what is to come. Inside, the space is simultaneously stylish, cozy and refined-a place where special occasions are fondly remembered.
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We hadn't been in more than 18 months because Eve had changed. Even though it was always packed and seats were at a premium, we always enjoyed sitting at the bar and eating there too. We went about once a month. We loved Tammy - awesome drinks and excellent service -- entirely focused on the patron. Alas she moved away and the guys she left behind were only interested in themselves. Spare me the sideshow and please pour me a drink. It was ridiculously over-the-top and downright annoying. We couldn't take it anymore and stopped going.

We recently returned for a special occasion. I'm delighted to report that Eve was enjoyable - from the service in the bar, the delicious food, to the service in the restaurant, everything was fabulous. A delightful and memorable evening.

I cannot help but suspect that the new competition in the neighborhood - Vermillion and Brabo come to mind - have had an effect. It seems Eve has refocused on the *patron* rather than on trying to gild lilies. Great news for those of us that missed the place of old. Thank you Eve!

There are newer reviews for Restaurant Eve

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Wow! The food was simply spectacular! A group of 5 of us did the chef's surprise menu and were thrilled with the 7 courses. The dessert had a delectable salted carmel sauce laced with truffles over chocolate. The aroma alone was worth inhaling, and the taste was heavenly! Definitely worth the evening and the trip. The chef is a true talent, and the pastry chef is an up and comer. Don't hesitate, just go!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Terrible experience at lunch last week. Oh so proper and stiff. I was afraid to cough. Horrors if I sneezed. To our taste the food was for the most part bizarre; something we call over produced food with way too many extra ingredients that just did not work. For example (1) the bread was baked to perfection but why were herbs added in such a way to give it an off and unpleasing taste. (2) why were pickled beets served with fried oysters (heavily fried not lightly as stated on the menu). The beets were so spicy that you could not taste the oysters or anything else on the plate. (3) Another dish was polenta and what I would call meat balls. The polenta was fine but there was much too much tampering with the meat balls that they had little taste at all. Chef Boyardee would not have been proud of this dish. On the plus side was a tasty but skimpy beet salad, an excellent chocolate desert and good glass of wine. In total we were not amused. As for value the less said the better. Not good.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We heard nothing but great things about Restaurant Eve, we went Sat night for some cocktails before dinner. We arrived at 7:00PM to a half full bar and sat on a couch for 10-15 minutes as staff walked passed us without acknowledging us. When we flagged down a staff member we explained this was our first time here and could he make any suggestions for a whiskey drink....he said if you like whiskey and ginger just get that! So we ordered 2 drinks. During that drink we moved to the bar to see some of the drink options, again we sat at the bar like we were invisible. When we finally were blessed with the bartenders attention I asked him for a Sazerac which came highly recommended to me from friends....the bartender said to me, "would you like our Sazerac?" this was confusing because we were at their bar, I was unsure of what that meant. The Sazerac was fantastic and it was a wonderful process to watch it prepared across the bar in front of people who did not order it, it was also nice to read his lips as he explained the process to the people that didn't order it. My wife was never offered a refill on her wine and after my drink we left.

2  Thank MyTQ
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My girlfriend and I went to the tasting room for a special evening because I was set to leave the country for several months. The experience was amazing.

We each had the 7-course tasting menu with wine pairing. The meal was beyond delicious, and the wine complimented it perfectly. The staff was engaging and polite, but didn't hover like they can at some places with tasting menus.

My one piece of advice to diners would be that if you are going to have teh 7 or 9 course tasting menu with a wine pairing, you should probably skip having one of their house cocktails beforehand (even though they are delicious). It ends up being quite a bit of wine by the end of the meal.