“One of the best domestic Wyndham Resorts”

Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Staff is the friendliest and most helpful, unit was clean and comfortable. Had a unit with the Metro and train tracks right outside and below us - we were on the 6th floor - and we barely heard any noise. Also did not hear any noise from neighboring units, except when they were entering or exiting their unit. Maybe Wyndham did something in the recent upgrade to improve the quietness??? Even the owner update, which we usually avoid at all costs, was bearable and the people not pushy!

One item - when driving to the resort, save yourself the stress and anguish of the Beltway by coming in on the George Washington Memorial Parkway from the east or West. As you enter Alexandria, it becomes Washington Street. At King Street, you will want to turn away from the Potomac River and head about 8 blocks or so and the turn-in to the resort will be on your right. No matter what the time of day, the Beltway (I-495) is congested and this summer there is MAJOR road construction coming from the west.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Idreamof

Reviewed 10 July 2011

We rented a one bedroom unit for a week. Using the Costco discount, the price was very reasonable for the DC area. It is great to have the full refrigerator plus a toaster. The Wyndham is so convenient to the King Street Metro stop for going into DC. Mount Vernon and the hangar for the Air & Space Museum are within driving distance and are both highly recommended. We also enjoyed Old Town Alexandria. This was a great family vacation. The only negative was that I specifically requested a room away from the train tracks per other reviewers comments. Our room was right on the train tracks. I had also requested a roll-away and had to ask in person. I do not think that anybody reads the special request section of the reservation form.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank wd8dky
Reviewed 5 July 2011

The rooms are very comfortable and airy. The hotel is relively new (less than 5 years old) and the decor is fabulous. The location is very conveinent to old town and central to Alexandria, as well as easy to get to and from the Washington National airport. I enjoyed the complementary terry bath robe and the earthy soaps. It was very restful and quiet.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Stayed here with my 9 year old son. The location across from the Metro was convenient. to get in and out of DC. We also walked down to the wharf which took us about 20-30 minutes. We took a ferry cruise from the Potomac to Mount Vernon. The neighborhood of Alexandria was quaint. Whole Foods market was a couple blocks away where we picked up food for breakfasts and snacks. There is no restaurant at the Wyndham but were some nice restaurants very close by (if you're a sports fan then you have to go to Joe Theismann's Restaurant, and the Hard Times Cafe had some yummy chili).

We had a standard 1 bedroom and it was bigger than I expected. We had a view of the front so we didn't hear much of the trains (only faintly). We could, however, hear the neighbor (because of the 2 bedroom lockoff unit). The staff was very friendly and helpful. The owner update was short and with no pressure (unlike some other Wyndham properties that I've been to). The sink in the kitchenette was so small and I had to make sure I didn't turn the faucet on all the way or I'd be soaked if I was rinsing out a glass or plate. The bed was comfortable. The pool was shared with the Hilton Hotel next door and it's small and indoors (HUMID!). The fitness room was equipped with new machines.

Overall the Wyndham was excellent and will definitely be coming back the next time we're in DC.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at The Wyndham Old Town Alexandria for five nights while I attended a conference in Washington DC, The Metro Train Station is across the street with a direct 20 minute ride to the Washington Convention Center and other points of interest. Alexandria has a quaint antebellum feel to it. There are many fine restaurants and shopping within walking distance of the Wyndham. While I was in conference, Linda strolled and shopped! A Free Trolley, accessed across the street, runs the 1.5 mile path to the Patomac River where you can dine and watch the boats on the river. Our room was a standard one bedroom. It was huge and well appointed. A spa tub in the bathroom was particularly appreciated by my wife. There were conveniently located Washer/Dryer facilities on our floor as well. The staff was friendly, and made us feel at home during our stay. I will be returning to The Wyndham Old Town Alexandria; and I recommend it without hesitation. Dr John

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The positives: can't beat the location - near metro, safe area to come to late at night, near lovely Old Town Alexandria. Super friendly staff, clean rooms, huge baths, comfy king sized bed in one bedroom suite. Flat screen tvs in living room and bedroom. Jacuzzi tub in bathroom. My room had a balcony - one of very few. I never heard the metro but did not face that way. Downside: thin walls. I could hear the people next door talking in a normal voice. And the plumbing shook when they took a shower, waking me up. Nice set of coffee and filters to go with the coffee pot! A day's worth of shampoo and lotion for a week's stay - and no trash pick up or towel changes. Not necessary for me, because I was solo and it was stocked for four but still... Free wifi was good, but difficult to use. When the computer went to sleep, I had to reboot it and disconnect and reconnect to the wifi. Very functional and very large kitchen. Definitely would stay there again. I would rate between a three and a four - if the folks next door had been noisy, it would have felt like a one....

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Skimeup
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Train station across the street from the rooms in the rear of the building. 4:30AM train whistles awaken you in the AM. Front Desk wouldn't change room to the front of the building. The Wyndham solution: EAR PLUGS! However, the rooms were remodeled.

Room Tip: Get a front room!