“An Alexandria lunch treat”
Review of The Majestic

The Majestic
Reserve with OpenTable
The Majestic is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Cross street: Btw. Alfred & Patrick
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This restaurant came recommended by a friend who has long lived in Washington DC and it was well worth it. We had a wonderful lunch in this popular restaurant - we grabbed the last available table for two. The great wine list and unusual and creative cocktail options were a promise of good things to come. We had large delicious fried oyster Caesar salad to start to share between the two of us with freshly baked bread and light Amish butter (the only thing on the menu not made on the premises). Then onto mains of which I chose the sandwich of the day consisting of pulled tender lamb shank baked in a balsamic vinegar reduction, mixed with pickled cabbage, feta and sultanas. A most delightful combination. My wife had the beautiful mussels with 'frites.' Excellent service and a wonderful warm vibe. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We met for lunch...we have not seen each other for years, and so there was much "catching up" to do. Our server was very aware of this and gave us all the time to sip some wine and talk before ordering. All the food that was served looked great, and my friends were very pleased with their sandwiches....BLT, Pulled lamb. I had the mussels and frites. Excellent!
We were stuffed and decided to "split" a key lime pie among the 3 of us, and I went to the bar to get a special drink made as they did not have lemoncello. So, they created a lemoncello tasting drink for us, and this topped it off!
I will return again and again.....a great place with attention to everything!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I was very eager to eat at the Majestic. On a previous trip to Alexandria I enjoyed drinks at the bar, but had prior dinner commitments and couldn't squeeze in a meal here.

The Majestic offers a nice menu, and some high end takes on some retro dishes (like meatloaf, or liver and onions). There's a very lively bar and a lot of appealing cocktails.

My impression is that the dishes were exceptionally rich. I am not spartan in my dining in any way, and not intimidated or put off by oil, butter or animal fat. But this dinner felt over the top.

The fried green tomatoes (served with a poached egg, pecorino and asparagus) was tasty - but the fried green tomatoes seemed soaked in their frying oil. Adding a poached egg, cheese and oily asparagus just layered fat on fat on fat.

I ordered the scallops served with risotto, which was swimming in oil. Because scallops are rich to begin with, I was not expecting so much fat in the risotto - but it was literally pooling.

My husband had the liver and onions, which was moist and well cooked and served in a sort of gravy - this was the best dish of the night.

It wasn't a bad dinner, but I wouldn't put it at the top of my list in Alexandria - though if you are looking for a heavy retro meal you may.

1  Thank JosephSparacio
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Friends made the reservation to honor my husband for his birthday. I read the reviews and was looking forward to a great meal. Well, not disappointed. Our server, Bernard, was attentive and very personable from start to finish. We were six people and ordered the chicken, seafood stew and the lamb. As we finished our main courses we were discussing what we would order on our return visit. Desserts were too good. The restaurant is upscale but caudal attire. Enjoy

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went to The Majestic for the first time with a party of 12 people celebrating a birthday for someone turning 50 (me...shhhh). Making the reservation was a pleasure. The people we dealt with over the phone were professional and friendly, even though we kept calling and adding people. The restaurant ambience is slightly dark but very cozy and inviting. Four people in our party were vegetarians (including me) and they didn't have many options for vegetarians. I had the vegetable platter which was underwhelming except for the beet ravioli portion. That was great. The rest of our party had seafood and said all the dishes were very good. This is a high quality, well thought-out restaurant. They did mess up a little at the end when they came to my table and said my credit card had been declined and did I have another. Turns out they had a swiping error and the card was fine. They could have just swiped it again and been good. That was a little awkward in front of all my friends. Otherwise, great experience.