“Always great!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I've been eating at Taqueria Poblano (Del Ray location) ever since they opened many years ago. The food and service are consistently excellent. I had my first introduction to fish tacos here, and now I consider them the gold standard. To those not familiar with fish tacos, they may sound unappealing. However, if you like mild fish and you like Mexican food, you'll love these. Occasionally I branch out to other dishes; the taquitos are excellent. My sons have always liked it here, from the time they were toddlers and into the present, at ages 18, 18, and 20. The margeritas are great as well, as is Sunday brunch. You may have a wait of 30 or more minutes on a weekend night.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Okay, this is not Los Amigos and yes, I am still missing the restaurant that was my go-to Mexican for so many years in Del Ray!

But it is good, and I enjoy that I can really tailor my meal to my appetite. I often order a couple of tacos and an order of Mexican slaw.

This is not fiery Mexican food but good food made with natural ingredients in a Mexican style. Definitely on my rotation of Mexican food.

I like their margaritas, which are homemade flavored, not made with a mix. I like the salsa that comes with the chips and usually get more of that to eat with my meal.

As others have mentioned, this restaurant is tiny, even when we have gone at odd hours. The noise level is comfortable for talking but also good to bring the kids if they are loud because no one will notice.

The service is pretty good, although when they are crowded, don't expect to leisurely enjoy your appetizer before the main entree is served (so plan accordingly as you place your order!)

1  Thank Alexandrian1026
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I always got the fish and shrimp tacos which are awesome, but went with a friend who got me to try some of the other things and I am glad I did. Now I can go even more often. Try the duck carnitas, YUM. The cheese dip with chorizo is SOOOO good. One night we tried the grilled fish special and it had a great smoky flavor and melted in my mouth. Two days later we were there for lunch and they had a steak taco special. It was as if all my favorite flavors were in each bite. Someday I hope to try their desserts, but with the appetizers and entrees so delicious, I don't think I will ever have room. OH, the margaritas are really delicious, I have to stop at two, but I would really like more..............

1  Thank mrstrump
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Tacos are pretty good. The beef could use a tad more flavor. The pork and duck tacos are great however I would prefer the duck shredded rather than chopped. Homemade sour cream is fantastic as is the addictive guacamole.

Bar experience was lacking. Bartender did not offer to refill my chips and salsa until the second time he offered to refill chips and salsa at surrounding tables - in fact, the guy next to me that I assume is a regular offered to refill my salsa cup . Certainly was bothered by that but oh well, it happens.

Once seated our server on the other hand was fantastic, knowledgable and friendly and as such I give bar service a pass.

My average rating is based on the following:
2 of 4 tacos were just ok
It's incredibly crammed
Bar service
Sangria tastes like something pre purchased from a grocery store. I saw it topped off with sprite or Sierra mist - whatever's in the fountain. I've been to Spain and Mexico. Don't fill my glass with ice and top if off with clear soda and call it Sangria, it's more of a tinto de verano.

Reviewed 31 January 2013

Always tasty dishes from a small but interesting menu. Especially like the fish tacos. Not much room in the Del Ray location, but there are now branches on Columbia Pike and just off Lee Highway in Arlington.