“Decent food at a reasonable price”
Review of Don Pablo's

Don Pablo's
Ranked #500 of 757 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Decent food at a reasonable price”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This spot was picked solely for the ease of parking. We were going to try Hops next door, but the wait looked long and we were tired. We knew what we were getting with Don Pablos. The food was as expected, on the good side of average. We were starving and ordered a lot more than we ate. Nachos, enchiladas, taco salad, ribs, rice were all good.

I fell in love with what my local Mexican restaurant (before they closed) called a chabela -- a margarita with a corona in it. Don Pablos called them Corona-Ritas, and they were sorely lacking. I'm not sure if I've ever tried Don Pablos' margaritas, but they were very bland, so it mostly tasted liked a watered-down Corona. I think the rest of the party got water, which is what I mostly drank.

• Visited August 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Love the lunch”
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Always get the steak fajita lunch special and I am always happy. Wouldn't come for a gourmet meal. But so happy with my regular order.

Alexandria, Virginia
“Okay for a chain but nothing special”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Several years ago I had signed up for their Habaneros Club and get a free birthday dinner each year. I hadn't been there in over a year but the thought of a free meal motivated me to try the place again.

The atmosphere is pleasant. I particularly like sitting in a booth and having a view of the restaurant and the outside. We asked to move because a fan was blowing cold air on us, and they easily accommodated the request.

The waitress was friendly but forgot things -- silverware, extra napkins, my husband's side order. Also I ordered the new Red River Salad which featured Honey Lime dressing and was told the dressing was not available. It seems a little odd to advertise a new item and then not have a key ingredient. I had a cilantro vinaigrette with it which was fine. There was something odd about the chicken: it tasted fine but there was a weird consistency like possibly it was pressed together meat? I couldn't quite put my finger on what was weird!

So, I will not hurry back here. It was okay but I like some other Mexican restaurants much better to have this be a go-to place.

• Visited November 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“An pleasant experience”
Reviewed 6 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I dined here for a spur-of-the-moment gathering with a group of friends. We had a good time, enjoyed the food and the margarita was amazing!

Visited October 2013
Tampa, Fl
“Below average chain food”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The service was poor the quality fair and, of course, the food was overpriced. I got something called the Big Five or similar named item. Of the three enchiladas, one was good, one was bad, and one was flavorless. The soft taco was good, but the hard taco tasteless.

• Visited October 2013