“Great little breakfast spot”
Review of Bread & Chocolate

Bread & Chocolate
Ranked #7 of 28 Bakeries in Alexandria
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Found this place while staying down the street at the Kimpton. We had breakfast there twice during our stay and everything we had was very good. The portions were very nice (a little much for my 92 year old grandmother) and the prices were good. One visit there was almost no one in the restaurant, the next time it was very busy. Both time we had wonderful service. The servers were attentive and went out of their way to make our 2 year old happy.

Also ended up getting some items to go from the pastry case that were delicious as well. Definitely a great spot to grab a bite for breakfast or brunch. Perfect for those staying nearby at the Kimpton, and just far enough from the water and Torpedo factory that if you walk down there afterwards it's a great little walk to walk off some of the generous portions you get here.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I was with friends and family and decided to stop here because of the name of the place. Service was very good, they were very attentive. I ordered a cappuccino and my partner a double expresso. Coffees were good and strong. I ordered Hummus Tartine that came with a salad. The hummus was very balanced and so was the dressing for the salad. They brought a basket with different breads and they were delicious and fresh. Everybody at the table were very pleased with their meals. However, what made it for me was the chocolate cake I took home. It was delightful!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Our table had the Shakshuka (fantastic!) and the Turkey Hash (with beets! Also fantastic). These folks go well beyond their name in terms of their selection. Coffee was outstanding and piping hot. Friendly, engaging service; just the right amount of checking and refilling.

We've enjoyed Sunday brunch at a number of Old Town Alexandria locations, but this is our new favorite. Looking forward to going back for the pfannkuchen.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I've walked by this shop a number of times and finally had a chance to try breakfast there. I had the Ham and Swiss Pfaannkuchen and they were delicious. There are lots of different breakfast choices to please a variety of tastes. Nice ambience, high quality, and historic downtown Alexandria make for a nice breakfast experience.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We like this restaurant though it is always crowded at brunch and the service is touch and go. The coffee is great. The food is always good. I highly recommend the Shakshuka (Two eggs poached in tomatoes, peppers and onions prepared with olive oil and Mediterranean spices)--it is fabulous but very spicy! This is a casual spot to eat with family and friends--not up-scale, just comfortable weekend brunch when you don't want to go to a greasy diner. The service is sometimes bad though they are all nice--just neglectful.