“Pasta and much more . . .”
Review of Savio's

Savio's
Reserve with OpenTable
Savio's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #480 of 754 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Landmarks / Van Dorn
Ellicott City, MD
“Pasta and much more . . .”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We dined at Savio's during a recent visit to Alexandria. It had been some while since we'd had a memorable Italian meal; so the 10% discount card offered by our hotel made this Northern and Southern Italian place a must-try.

The food was the best part of the experience. Since the menu is a la carte and the prices are a bit high, we stuck with the pasta entrees. We were not disappointed. My spinach-and-cheese ravioli -- in a tomato-cream sauce with seasonal vegetables and chicken -- were toothsome and delicious. (I'd order them again without hesitation!) Our daughter's gnocchi -- in a garlicky pesto sauce -- were comfort food extraordinaire. And my husband's rigatoni with sausage in a house-made tomato sauce hit the spot, too.

A salad of fresh mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes was a fine appetizer. More refined -- and interesting -- was a featured salad of greens with mission figs, walnuts, and Granny Smith apples. (To our dismay, we discovered along the way that the apple slices were missing. Our server, when notified, checked with the kitchen -- then announced, sans apology, that they had "run out" of Granny Smiths. Since it was still early Saturday evening, we thought that a flimsy excuse -- and subtracted points accordingly.)

Service was businesslike, but not all that friendly. (A little warmth would have made a major difference.) Atmosphere was quiet. Decor, in our book, could stand to be updated -- and literally lightened up.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank cadenzas

Schenectady, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Who is writing these reviews ??”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

This is by far the worst restaurant I have ever had dinner in. Both my wife and I had a chichen parmesan dinner that couldn't have been anything but out of the freezer. I will say the kids pizza was edible but not by much. I have never taken the time to post a restaurant review until now, but this place was beyond not good.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Joe S
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great local Italian spot”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This is a quiet, local restaurant with excellent regional Italian food. If we lived in the area this would be one of our regular stops.

• Visited July 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
“Do you like good food and service? Eat here!”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My wife and I ate linner here on July 20, 2013. This restaurant has been in existence since 1989, we moved to Alexandria in 1996, but today was our first visit. Shame on us. It won't be our last visit. The cuisine is Italian, our server was Russian, the owner and chef are Tunisian, and the piped-in music was Mexican (Solamente Una Vez, Somos Novios, Júrame, etc.). What a great country!

Our server, Marina, was attentive, pleasant, and efficient. My wife and I shared the Insalata di Gambretti con avocado, her entrée was the Rigatoni Fungi e Vino Blanco, mine was the Rigatoni Carbonara, and we shared the chocolate mousse for dessert. She drank wine, I had rum & cokes, and we ended with coffee. Wonderful.

On our way out the manager, Habib, introduced himself, asked how everything was, and invited us back. We will return. Often.

• Visited July 2013
Renton, Washington
“Wow, Fresh Food”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

You must try this restaurant, I gurarantee you will like it. I had the Veal and my grandaughter had the tortalini, she is a picky eater and loved it. The admosphere is quiet and family friendly, The place seemed clean and the menu had a large selection to choose from. It is easy to find on Van Dorn in Alexandria, VA

Visited June 2013

Been to Savio's? Share your experiences!