“Ambassador's Night”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Arlington, Virginia
“Ambassador's Night”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I had an utterly demanding, challenging and strategic decision to make: as part of my business I had to have for dinner the Ambassador of Senegal and his Cohort. I also had high ranking headship Visitadors from Paraguay and Morocco and an important investor. This was a delicate task because not only international relations were at stake, but business and personal relationships as well. I wanted to play safe and for that I had a divine afflatus, so I took them into my home turf, and straight into Vaso's Mediterranean Bistro where I placed a reservation in advance. I knew for sure that Vaso, the cuisine Goddess who glorifies and deify Vaso's kitchen would take duly care of my notably porphyryal guests. I knew my invitees have palates adeptly capable of uncontaminated and undiluted taste, and they can wholly discriminate between the salty, the sour, the bitter, the sweet, and the umami.

As soon as we arrived, we were promptly seated in a quiet private area in the upper level that was lightly adorned with a delicate and tactful essence of the winds and memories of Arcadian Paros of Parrhasia. Although we were close to other dinner area and the bar, the space was ensconced as well as quiet, graceful, and very business conductive; a "suave" spin among the rooted Alexandrian mores.

The menu at Vaso's always contains an ample and tantalizing food cimelia, so I quesited the menu to expiscate an enticing dish since I was already familiar with the bill of fare, but the decision was hard as a hard day's night. My guests were seriously perusing the menu with scrutinizing eyes, action which makes me always pretty nervous. However, as per instructions of my guests I ordered first and decided for Branzini, and I am glad I did because some of my guests opted for the same! The Branzini arrived honking his aroma from afar loud and clear.

Branzini is the Mediterranean seabass. The fish comes whole from head to tail smiling at you and oven-baked to silky consistency, fully dressed with a delicate olive oil –a distillate collected by Neolithic peoples as early as the 8th millennium of the Common Era-, civilly salted, interspersed with Piper Nigrum, and with a subtle rind of fresh lemon. This dish was invigorating! If aliens learn about it, they will abduct it for sure! As an observance of respect and adherence to the nomic assuetude of my guests, no alcohol was on the table, instead; a hodgepodge of juices and other appropriated nepenthe and macarize drinks were populating our high "τραπέζι" (table in Greek).

Towards the end of the dinner I was as happy as I could have been. Ioannis, the owner of Vaso's Bistro treated my invitees and me to exquisite desserts: Tiramisu, Baklava, and Galaktoboureko! This last one is a Greek dessert (the favorite of Xenophanes) of a delicate orange-based custard liquor wrapped in phyllo (Filo) dough, baked in a Greek oven and masterfully rained with Vaso's homemade syrup; garnished with a nuptials of powdered cinnamon and theandric sugar. We ate the desserts in silence chasing them with a well intentioned Greek coffee. The food was suited to appease our acoria, and the experience was amplivagant.

It was business as usual in Vaso's: unsurpassed and unmatched friendly service, unrivaled tasting dishes, a superbly cozy ambience, and pleasantly urbanite conscious prices, really! My guests were happy and satisfied, and so was I. This event confirmed the wise saying of the Romans: "Optimum cena confieri res" (the best business is accomplished at the dinner table).

Another dinner like this, and I might get Diplomatic status in a yoctosecond!

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank Rodrigo G

• Greek first
Alexandria, Virginia
“Excellent choice for Greek food in Old Town”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Vaso's has always been a favorite of ours at their original "Dixie Pig" location at the north end of Old Town. They now have a restaurant located on King Street in the heart of Old Town. It seems as if the prices are a bit higher here but the food and service are equally as good. Even with somewhat higher prices, this is actually a very reasonably priced dinner option in Old Town. I have one minor complaint, however: I ordered softshell crabs, a special that was not on the menu. While they were delicious, one thing our server did not mention is that they were priced at $34.95, which is about twice the cost of any other menu entree. In fact, this entree cost more than the $31 bottle of wine we ordered with our dinner. It is not often that an entree costs more than a bottle of wine at any restaurant, and our server should have mentioned the price in telling us about the specials. Seeing the bill put a damper on what was otherwise a delightful and delicious dinner experience.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank David S
Alexandria
“Nice Meal, Good Service”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Went to the new Vaso's for a dinner with friends; we got their early and seating was not an issue. Flaming cheese was on fire (as it should be), Lemon-Chicken-Orzo soup was good but not the best, the standard 3 dips with pita was on point. Chicken salads were large and tasty; and seafood was fresh. One of the better Greek restaurants in Old Town, for sure. I would definitely go back for another enjoyable meal. The service was very good.

• Visited July 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fantastic Decor, Fantastic Food”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Vaso's in North Old Town moved to King Street and opened this very upscale, beautiful restaurant this past December 2013. The food is excellent and the upstairs bar is absolutely beautiful. Gianni did a fantastic job decorating the place and no detail was left unturned. Just like the original restaurant in North Old Town, this one has the same excellent Greek/Italian food. Everything is good. I've never had anything bad at this or their other restaurant. If you haven't been here please visit. The décor is so beautiful and it's just a really nice place. Great place for a date or to listen to live music in the bar or watch sports. It was packed during soccer and the customers are locals who have been coming to the other restaurant, not coming here. It's like everyone knows their name. Gianni is always there, welcoming his guests, calling them by name, and watching over the service like a good manager. He takes care of everyone, makes sure they have a good time and a good meal, and he keeps the staff on their toes. I had Christmas Eve dinner at the little downstairs bar and it was excellent and I was glad to be there with my Vaso family.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank LadyAboutTown
Huntsville, Alabama
“Best Mediterranean food we ever had!!!!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I can't tell you how happy we were walking away after a fabulous meal at Vaso. We are out of towners and found this restaurant through trip advisor. Wow!! I had the Trout Almondine and my husband had the Veal Terra Mara. I also had the to die for Galaktoboureko dessert. Our waitress was superb so were the whole staff. This restaurant is sooooo highly recommended. I wish I can give it more than 5 stars!!!!

3 Thank love10s