“German fare with Croatian wine.”
Review of Cosmopolitan

Cosmopolitan
Ranked #54 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: Eastern European, Central European
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Huntington
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The waitresses were pretty and sweet, but the one man that served us briefly had no personality. My girlfriend and I split a meal of wiener schnitzel and fries with vegetables. It came with bread and a feta-butter spread. The meal was delicious (especially the vegetables) and more than enough for us to split. I ordered a Paulaner beer which was served surprisingly with two inches of head resulting in a half-serving. Strange, I thought Germans would know how to pour beer. The environment was nice, but I was seated in the only chair facing away from the center despite the restaurant being only half filled.

1  Thank MiguelChanatullah

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We've been coming to the Cosmo for at least five years. The food has always been well prepared, freshly prepared, and often interesting. At the low end of the price range are the chicken sandwich and the Bosnia burger. Both are served with what I believe the Germans call quark, something between sour cream and creme fraiche, as well as lettuce and tomato. I recommend that you replace the ho-hum french fries with a side of the excellent grilled vegetables for a couple of extra bucks--specify a little extra time on the grill if you want well-grilled veggies. The veal dishes have been consistently good, likewise the sausages. The salad dishes are fairly ordinary. Everything comes with fresh bread, which is usually too hot to eat when it arrives, along with a small bowl of the quark. Ask for some ajvar (EYE-var) to dip the bread in. It's a roasted red pepper dip, not spicy.

Take a chance on the Bosnian/Serbian wines sold by the glass. The owner offered us a tasting of several different and unfamiliar wines once, and my wife keeps coming back to the Welschriesling.

Desserts are not the high point here. The Cosmo cup, berries in ice cream, is probably the best of the bunch, but it has been downsized at least twice over the years.

This is a neighborhood restaurant. We always see someone we know when we come here. True to its ethnic roots, there are always at least two different soccer games playing quietly on the big-screen TVs.

2  Thank Randy H
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Located in a strip mall between a Gold's Gym and Frogger's ice cream, this place was a little hard to find, but we really enjoyed it. We found it on Trip Advisor while looking for an alternative to our regular Saturday night dinners out. Their menu listed several kinds of schnitzel and several chicken and veal dishes that can be had with spaetzle on the side. My husband and I both had the creamy veal with creamy mushroom sauce along with the spaetzle. It was delicious, Their helpings are generous. We had enough for lunch the next day. I noticed that many people were taking leftovers home. This is definitely a keeper on our restaurant list.

1  Thank Rhoward2
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Very much enjoyed the food. The service was very good, professional, and friendly without being intrusive. Appeared to have a regular clientele and well as family oriented with lots of what looked to me as regulars.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I've been meaning to review this little place for a while now. Bottom line, love it! I grew up in Europe and travelled quite a bit, we frequently visited Germany and also went the (the former) Yugoslavia. Both types of food is served here, as the owners are Bosnian, but lived in Germany for a while. I love real German food, and had yet to find any authentic enough to revisit, until someone recommended Cosmo. The schnitzel, the späzle, and the jäger (mushroom) sauce are out of this world! It is fresh and real! Growing up, my favorite thing in the world was späzle. There is no comparing from the homemade goodness of the way they make it here to the way they make it at the other, more gimmicky "German" restaurants around. It is simply the best. We have also had the goulash, chicken sandwich, the Cevapcici, and some other dishes, all good, but the snitzel and späzle are what I keep coming back for. Also I need to add, this restaurant is very reasonably priced, and takes, in fact encourages, reservations. Highly recommended!

1  Thank beentheredonethat73