“I love this place!”

Vaso's Kitchen
Ranked #87 of 754 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
USA
“I love this place!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is one of my favorites. Thank goodness for my waistline, it is not within walking distance of my office!

The zesty feta spread is super yummy, as is the avocado salad. Come to think of it, aside from the bread they serve with the meal (not pita, that costs extra), I have never had anything here I do not like.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the tiramisu... OMG is all I can say!

• Visited February 2014

Riner, VA
“Really Nice Place”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I ate here recently with my brother and sister-in-law. We arrived on Friday evening without a reservation, and because they were busy, we were invited to wait at the bar for about 15 minutes. I was impressed that rather than trying to sell us a drink, we were offered water.

There was something of a wait for our food, probably a combination of their being busy and the fact that it is not prepared in advance. In fact, I was probably the cause of the delay because I ordered one of their specials, a baked fish. It arrived perfectly cooked, and dressed with lemon infused olive oil. I have had lemon butter, but this was wonderful! My brother said he had never had moussaka that he liked, but one of the reviews framed on the wall recommended it so he tried it. He liked it very much, and I did too. In fact, if we go back, that's what I want. My sister-in-law wasn't very hungry, so she ordered spanakopita, and that was delicious too.

The only negative -- and for us it was worth putting up with -- is that the restaurant is small, with hard surfaces everywhere, floor, walls, and ceilings. Because it was totally full of happy people, it was quite noisy.

Definitely worth a return trip.

• Visited April 2014
“Best Meal in 12 Months!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

There were four in our party. Not one of us had eaten here before. Honestly, each of us were blown away. The food was fresh, flavorful in an entirely conversational environment. We arrived with reservations at 8:00 PM and stayed until 11:00. We loved a bottle of house red wine from Greece. Shared two starters plus olives. The four meals spanned: beef, lamb, pasta and fish. All were absolutely spectacular. We topped off the meal with tiramisu and coffee. If Ever I make it back to Alexandria, this place will be my dinner spot with friends.

Visited April 2014
Alexandria, VA
“Little Hole in the Wall Greek place tucked away on Powhaton Drive north of Old Town”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

A little hole in the wall restaurant with good Italian and Greek specialties. Try the Bronzini (white mediterranean fish) in olive oil, garlic and lemon sauce, or the steamed artichoke in garlic and olive oil. Good shrimp dishes, chicken, shish kabob and other favorites.

Visited March 2014
“The most overrated restaurant I've ever eaten in.”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

I have had better food on an airplane, in coach. The chicken was dry and overcooked. The tzatsiki was very average. Even the pita was old and dry. The Vasos "special" dressing was very ordinary. Have they sent the "good chef" to the new place on King Street?

• Visited April 2014