“Best beds - great for groups”

Best Western Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir
Ranked #21 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 24 April 2008

I booked seven double queens for a middle school study tour. Manager gave us great rates. Front desk was very friendly and had the key cards ready before we walked in. Beds were incredible. The adults of the group wanted to take them home. Our main reason to stay there was for easy access to Historic Mt. Vernon. It was very easy. Big breakfast room, but they seemed to run out of many items half way through breakfast, especially plates, bowls and plastic ware. Free breakfast did included waffles, scrambled eggs and tater tots plus the normal cold items. Rooms were large and clean and nicely decorated.

• Stayed: April 2008
There are newer reviews for Best Western Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir

Reviewed 29 February 2008

We just returned from a girls day away to shop in Old Town Alexandria, Va and stayed at the Best Western, Mt.Vernon overnight. I booked the room online (which means cancellation charges could be incurred) and got a really nice rate. I had read this website to compare this hotel with others nearby and was still blown away with how user-friendly this hotel is. The room was on the small side but had a microwave, decent sized fridge, coffee machine, hair drier, and two extremely comfortable queen beds. The tv has a million channels and works well, in fact everything in the room worked well. Management was so friendly. The place is spotlessly clean. The "continental" breakfast includes cereals, bagels, make your own waffles that my girlfriend said were delicious, yogurt, juices, coffee, muffins, pastries, and I'm sure I must have left something out!! The down? comforters are very warm so you really don't need the heat on at night. I wished I'd brought my firm pillow from home as theirs are very light weight. The shower had great pressure and lots of hot water. It was 8 miles from our destination, but not a problem as we had a car and plenty of time. It was a pleasure to have stayed at this delightful hotel!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank dawnie13
Reviewed 16 December 2007

Stayed at Hotel with my father on a trip to D.C. for his birthday. Wanted to visit Mt. Vernon and it was 5 minutes away. The hotel was in very good shape. Every room has been recently renovated and the room was great. It was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The breakfast was fine. The same as any other continental breakfast. Staff very friendly.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Mt. Vernon or passing through. You won't be dissappointed.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank travelnyc23
Reviewed 25 October 2007

This is an older hotel, and it shows from the outside, but it is being completely renovated inside. I understand the hotel was purchased and placed under new management in May 2007, and over $3 million is being placed in renovations. The manager told me they are even going to be putting in a pool.

But enough about the future. Right now, the lobby and halls remain to be renovated and show their age (although they are very clean). The rooms are in the process of undergoing renovation, and the new room I stayed in was very comfortable, although it was a bit smaller than I'm used to. New furniture, TV, microwave, fridge, lighting, bed, soft comforter, and carpet were GREAT. Bright lighting, large ceramic tile floor, curved shower rod, and new tub and sinks made the bathroom feel like home. I told the manager that the photos on the Best Western website still show the old rooms, but he said he didn't want to put photos of the new rooms up yet because that might lead a guest to become upset if they ended up in an unrenovated room. Made sense to me. By the way, I found the staff to be very accomodating and friendly.

I didn't partake in the free breakfast, but I checked it out one day. It appeared to be the bare minimum--cereal, juice, coffee, milk, and stuff like bagels and toast. I'm not into big breakfasts anyway, so this didn't bother me. There is no restaurant onsite, although Su Pollo, a Peruvian roasted chicken restaurant is about a 100 foot walk from the front door. McDonald's is right next to that, and there is a good Thai restaurant and several others that I haven't yet tried in adjacent strip malls about 200 yards (meters) away across Cooper Rd, all within walking distance. 100 yards across US Rt 1 is another strip mall that has all kinds of shops. Adjacent to that one is a discount grocery store (with brand name products), and a dollar store.

I just completed my second stay at this hotel, and will be returning to it most every week between now and Mar 2008. I have also recommended this hotel to other contractors and will continue to do so.

Other notes:

You can be at the Tulley Gate at Ft Belvoir in 6 minutes.

The entire hotel is smoke-free.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank V_B_Z
Reviewed 13 May 2007

In view of several previous very negative reviews of this hotel, we booked here with some trepidation but wanted the location, near to Washington's house at Mount Vernon (and its location is indeed excellent for this - a 10-minute drive and you're there). In the event, we were extremely pleased with our accommodation and find it hard to believe that some of the reviews actually apply to the same hotel! (The manager, by the way, told us she was new there, so perhaps she's been waving a stick about).

We booked, internationally, by phone - the BW website advised the hotel was full - two months in advance - but, on the phone, they had a room. When we got there, they had us recorded, no problems.

The hotel is located directly on Route 1, which is a very busy road; it's in a modern-standard commercial area - shops, etc. Our room, which I imagine is identical to almost all of the rooms there, was large, clean and tidy and well finished, with one double bed. The big problem was the aircon: an old, wall-mounted unit that was very noisy - not just the normal sound of rushing air, but droning mechanical noise, as well. We asked for a room change and this was helpfully arranged, this time to a room with a modern aircon unit. It transpires the hotel is upgrading its aircon units and, this being the case, I would strongly recommend you insist on a room with a new one - if such a room is not available, I would suggest you drive on.

Coffee is available in the room and, non-stop, in the lobby. There is no internet terminal - they say they plan to get one - but there is wi-fi. Continental breakfast is served in a large room downstairs - it was adequate, but nothing too special.

In deference to Washington's notorious traffic reputation, we took public transport into town - the mechanics of which were helpfully explained by reception staff. There is a bus which stops close outside, specifically for connection to the Metro, about 6 miles away. From stepping on the bus, to arriving in central Washington, was exactly one hour - and $6.40 each, return, amazing value for a UK traveller.

Somewhat against expectation, we were very pleased with this hotel. If you want to stay in the Mount Vernon area - and, importantly, provided you can get a 'new aircon' room - we are happy to recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Capelle
Reviewed 15 March 2006

Let me start by saying I stay in motels for weeks at a time as I work on a contract basis in the D.C. area. Have tried most of the chains in every county in the metro area - and theres a HUGE difference from property to property - even within the same chain.

The BW Mt Vernon was the first place I stayed in the DC metro area when I moved last year. Needing to watch my budget, I realized it was a ways out but worth a try.

It wasn't great. I had more problems with the front desk than anything in the rooms ( never saw a bug or anything unclean in my rooms)so I came back to this place for a couple additional stays. It's WAY better than the others in that immediate area, though anyone living in that county (the wealthiest in America) will tell you its a BAD area - its very average, slightly lower middle class really at worst.

Having read some of the other reviews - I wonder why someone from the DC area would trek out there for a weekend getaway in the first place? Esp if you could afford Crystal City - stay closer in for sure. I also saw someone complain that they thought there was a restaurant onsite.

Went back to the BW website - its confusing but not totally misleading. If you click on the MORE INFO about this property - it states restaurant onsite/Nearby - the SLASH/NEARBY is true. Another place on their website refers to it as ADJACENT. TRUE, as I easily walked next door to McDonalds, a pizza place, and a Chinese takeaway - and dozens of other food places and supermarkets are in the two shopping centers across the street - so its not a remote place in that regard - but if you want food right in your lobby - this isnt the place.

I agree with the comments that the desk staff seemed either too harried or too unsure to give out much good info. This is sometimes a busy place - tour groups coming and going, large parties renting banquet rooms and kids running about - but once youre up in your room thats not a problem. It does make for difficult onsite parking at times. MGMT should work on bulking up staffing and parking if possible during such high peak periods.

Really its a typical two star kind of place - good if youre on a budget - or want to be out near Mt Vernon. ALSO - within a mile was a real treat -a Frank Lloyd Wright home you can tour and on the same grounds is the Colonial mansion of Geo Washington's kin, just up the road near the entrance to Ft Belvoir - nice out of the way sights to see. But clearly not right next to DC nor do they claim to be.

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled on business
3  Thank 912tadd
Reviewed 10 March 2006

This has to be the worst hotel I have ever in my life stayed in! The rooms are so small, its dingy and dirty, and the noise will drive you crazy! The price was ok and included with your price were ROACHES. My boyfriend and I stayed I believe about 3 hours and then we left and went to a more expensive place in Crystal City, which in all reality is maybe 5 minutes from DC. If you are going to be traveling to DC to tour, I highly advise you to stay in Crystal City and spend a little more for a room. You will have better service, clean rooms, no ROACHES, and you will literally be like 5 minutes outside of DC rather than 30-40, If you were to stay at this Best Western! In the rooms, there is no nothing...just a bed, t.v. and I believe an iron! I WILL NEVER GO BACK, AND I RECOMMEND YOU NOT EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!! YUK

• Stayed: October 2005