“Great Location”

Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
valrico
“Great Location”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 5 days and enjoyed everyday. Settled in an area thats in a residential area,as well as businesses. It was very quiet and i felt very safe about going out at night. The doormen were nice and helpful on getting our directions. The front desk were ok, some what stand offish. The room was big, bed was (heavenly) shower was great 2 heads. Walking distance to the metro, which we took everyday. Parking the car was $24 a night ok price compared to the dc.
We ate breakfast at the Jameison Grill, very good but a little pricy. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shopper41Valrico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
tehran
Reviewed 30 May 2012

westinn hotel located in very good place in alexanderia and its services is good .

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2012

If you are ever visiting Alexandria, VA or Wasington, DC this Westin is EXCELLENT! From the moment that I arrived, the customer service was exceptional. Robin at the front desk was so very positive, helpful and accommodating. Solomon, the shuttle driver, was also great! I needed to make a run to buy a suit ( had to have it the next day) and even though it was time for him to get off work, he took me to the store and waited for me as I shopped.

Now this WESTIN shines and stands out in the hospitality business! If it is true that employees mirror the philosophy of the employer, then the Westin is on point!

• Stayed May 2012
Richlands, NC
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed here for Mother's Day weekend, May 12-13. We used Hotwire, but the rates on the Westin website are not bad, either. It is a bit of a walk to King Street, but very close to the Metro. The hotel has a free shuttle that runs to King Street till 10pm. There are several restaurants within a 5 minute walk, so this was fine.

The pool and hot tub were nice, and the lifeguard was attentive, unlike some of the other 4 stars in Old Town. As with most Westin properties, the beds were comfortable and the bathrooms were nice. There is a Starbucks just a few steps away, and John at the front desk was very helpful and pleasant to speak with. I have stayed here before, and I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Masonic Memorial. Also, avoid costly valet charges by going to th...
Lake Forest, Illinois
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I revisited this hotel recently and was surprised by some housekeeping issues as well as staff attitude. In general, the hotel is what you'd expect from any hotel but is very overpriced for what is offered in my opinion. There is an additional fee for everything, internet, water, etc. Hours for the pool are extremely limited and the young woman working as lifeguard has limited English and there seemed always to be mechanical difficulties in the pool area.

Housekeeping: I stayed for 3 nights. During my stay the same debris remained in the hallway for my entire stay on the 5th floor. Strands of dental floss and paper littered my hallway as well as glassware left outside guest's rooms . . . for 4 days. In addition, our room was stocked for one guest and I was traveling with my husband. I called to explain the situation and to ask for more items (towels, soap, hangers, luggage stand). Unfortunately, I had to make this request every single day! In addition, housekeeping did not make up our room until very late in the afternoon and was inevitably knocking on the door when we were trying to get ready for evening engagements after long, hot days spent shopping and sightseeing. One housekeeper informed my husband that they only worked until 5:00 p.m. and if we weren't out our room would not be cleaned.

Front desk: From check-in to help with directions, luggage, transportation the front desk staff was very aloof and unhelpful. On one occasion I waited in line with four people in front of me and watched the only front desk worker disappear repeatedly, leaving us all standing without explanation. When it was finally my turn, he took a very long time to look up from his computer screen and told me "Excuse me, I'll be right back" and disappeared once again for several minutes. Needless to say I was pretty annoyed by that time.

I personally won't be back to this Starwood property.

Room Tip: Location is a few blocks to transportation (Metro) which is convenient but the walk to Old Town Alex...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RedBuddah
USA
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed today with family and friends for Memorial day, for two days with family and friends. A few notes to help the fellow traveler.
Distant from the main attractions on King street, but close enough to the METRO station and trolley.
The METRO station is a five minute walk, that will connect you to ALL the DC attractions, without foregoing DC prices. The trolley just outside the METRO station will allow travels on King street to the waterfron and back.
The hotel will shuttle you to the airport or King street if asked. METRO fare was $2.40 pp, on the weekend, and $3.40 all other times.
Breakfast was achieved at a local diner, named table talk, a 5 minute walk from hotel. Pricing was cheap with great food quality.
We had dinner at the highly rated Vaso's Greek restaurant, near the waterfront, pricing and the food quality was oustanding, especially the meatballs!
Landini brothers was the next stop for dinner last night, again no suprises, with great quality, but short on quantity of appetizers.
The local restaurant bar and grill in the Westin hotel was empty both nights, due to the steep prices. Breakfast at this place was a minmum of 15 dollars per dish, for eggs!!!! Really??? The bar was also expensive, so we branched over to Joe Theisman's a short walk for great wings and beer, far cheaper than the hotel.
Yes the hotel was clean, with attention given to detail and cleanliness. It also is a pet hotel, so bring the family pet, as I witnessed several dogs parading thru the lobby.
The pool is barely 10 x10, very small, but the gym is awesome with several newer model cardio machines.
Towels were provided by the hotel. Late checkout was allowed for starwood members. Plenty of cabs outside the hotel, cost to the waterfront for four was $12.
Parking on the street is metered, and free on the weekends, way cheaper than the $25 valet option the hotel offers. Have a great stay!

2 Thank Hrima
Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Wifey and I stayed at the Westin during the Memorial Day weekend and must what we say? It rarely gets any better than this. From the time you step into the lobby, the wonderful aroma transforms you and makes you realize this is a special place with people who will treat you special.

It begins with the doormen and bellhops who are always smiling and willing to lend a hand. The check-in is quite welcoming and the rooms are excellent with all the necessary toiletries and of course the famous “heavenly bed”. The Westin stock the rooms with high quality teas and Starbucks coffees, so for the early risers, you are taken care of.

We had breakfast one morning and it was delicious and well prepared. We also enjoyed cocktails and appetizers in the bar and had a wonderful time conversing with our bartender.

Our Concierge, John Johnson, is one of the finest and most respected in the industry. Not only does he recommend quality restaurants and locales, but John goes the extra step by ensuring you receive VIP treatment when you arrive at your destination point. Our hats off to John!

Then there is the shuttle driver, Teesfat Tesfal, who takes you into Old Town Alexandria and provides an impromptu tour of the city and some of the lesser-known historic sites. We were quite impressed with his enthusiasm knowledge.

Though we travel frequently, we only write reviews when we believe other TripAdvisors should be made aware of places that provide exemplary service. Clearly, the Westin Alexandria stands out as one of the best in this category.

We should also note that we have stayed at four and five-star boutique hotels in the area with “higher” ratings and will make the Westin Alexandria our new home there. Our thanks to the Assistant GM, Mete, for such a wonderful time!

Room Tip: Since the hotel is only a few blocks from the Metro, we recommend using the metro to go into DC for...